RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Unusual R/C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/)
-   -   My ice boat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/10919066-my-ice-boat.html)

hy flyr 01-20-2012 03:07 PM

My ice boat

1 Attachment(s)
I call it that because right now there's no snow on the lake!
I hate flying in 20deg. weather with 40+ winds so I built this for fun. I used mostly scrap metal out of my garage. Powered by a used Saito 1.80 I bought here on RCU. Servos are Hitec HS-805BB, plenty of torque! Test run was a success so now just some final tweaking and adjustments ans some cosmetic work.

hy flyr 01-20-2012 03:26 PM

RE: My ice boat

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.. The skis are very nice, ordered from maidenusa. I originaly bought them for an airplane. I tweaked the gear spinning tight cookies on the ice so a small repair is in order. I also have an on-board glow driver just because it's cool. :) Unfortunatly it had a broken wire so I had to use my glow driver. I can put wheels on this and give it a try also.

RC MANIAC119 01-20-2012 04:28 PM

Very Cool.......Where's the wings? :D

hy flyr 01-20-2012 04:54 PM

Thanks RCManiac! No wings but now that I know it actually works I'll add some batmobile wings or something cool to spruce it up some! [8D]

RC MANIAC119 01-20-2012 09:34 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking!!!!

Can't wait to see it.........;)

controlliner 01-21-2012 01:57 PM

I would use a "glitch buster" on the back servo with the long lead.

iron eagel 01-21-2012 03:14 PM

Very nice!
Looks like a fun machine.

Bob Parker 01-21-2012 05:18 PM

Pretty cool I would like to see it as a pusher. The tail as the front.

hy flyr 01-21-2012 07:47 PM

Thanks guys for the comps! Hmmmm..a pusher, now that could be kind of cool! After building this "erector set toy" you guys and some of my flying buds have given me other ideas for it. My float flying partner suggested putting it on floats and using it for a retrieval boat. This evening I've made several different patterns for some side fins. It will look better with them on.. [8D]

dociledragons 02-16-2012 09:02 AM

what, no video..

hy flyr 03-05-2012 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
I changed things up some. I added a rear axle, wheels and springs for suspension. Also added some cool headlights and running lights. I also mounted a little on-board camera on the back for some cool video! This thing cruises around pretty fast in empty parking lots! It's great for getting my nitro-fix also. Now that the weather is getting a little nicer, I should get back to my unfinished projects that fly! [8D]

iron eagel 03-05-2012 11:35 AM

With the saw blade it looks like you have it set up for robo wars...:D

hy flyr 03-05-2012 01:40 PM

Haha, you should have seen it before I took off the 12" miter saw blade I took off the bottom! My wife called it the death machine. :D It was getting to stinkin heavy though..

Johnk71 12-11-2012 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:Br eakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><w:DontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetE xplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal">I was looking at your Ice Boat (Very Nice!) and thought I would share mine. I have some questions about your design and how it performs at high speeds. I have been tweaking mine for years to resolve issues i.e. Front end Lift off, Stabilization, Engine Placement/Pitch with the last being long range control. The &ldquo;Zombie&rdquo; looks rough, as she is well used, and yes, abused&hellip; <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span><span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span></p><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]>

Johnk71 12-11-2012 10:42 AM

<![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:worddocument><w:view>Normal</w:view><w:zoom>0</w:zoom><w:punctuationkerning></w:punctuationkerning><w:validateagainstschemas></w:validateagainstschemas><w:saveifxmlinvalid>false </w:saveifxmlinvalid><w:ignoremixedcontent>false</w:ignoremixedcontent><w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext> false</w:alwaysshowplaceholdertext><w:compatibility><w:br eakwrappedtables></w:breakwrappedtables><w:snaptogridincell></w:snaptogridincell><w:wraptextwithpunct></w:wraptextwithpunct><w:useasianbreakrules></w:useasianbreakrules><w:dontgrowautofit></w:dontgrowautofit></w:compatibility><w:browserlevel>MicrosoftInternetE xplorer4</w:browserlevel></w:worddocument></xml><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal">I was looking at your Ice Boat and thought I would share mine. I have some questions about your design and how it performs at high speeds. I have been tweaking mine for years to resolve issues i.e. Front end Lift off, Stabilization, Engine Placement/Pitch with the last being long range control. The &ldquo;Zombie&rdquo; looks rough, as she is well used, and yes, abused&hellip;</p><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:latentstyles latentstylecount="156" deflockedstate="false"></w:latentstyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style type="text/css"> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]>

hy flyr 12-11-2012 06:12 PM

Cool looking Zombie! It looks like an airboat converted over to skis. That's a good idea. Mine didn't work to good on the rough ice. There's a weak link in the steering I keep having to fix/replace. It does haul butt in the parking lot though. I parked it over the summer and pretty much forgot about it. It may come out again this winter. Got any vids of your Zombie in action?

Johnk71 12-12-2012 06:48 AM

<![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:Br eakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><w:DontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetE xplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:EN-US;mso-fareast-language:EN-US;mso-bidi-language:AR-SA">I never intended it to be a boat, although I scooped the front to go over obstacles (lumps of snow and ice) and repositioned the engine, to protect it. The first one didn&rsquo;t survive impact! As it was mounted forward, with no protection. <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span>So I and later flipped it, remounted the engine, lifted and placed it on children&rsquo;s skis. I don&rsquo;t have any videos at this time but will shortly. I just added the new prop, the other smaller 3 bladed one was clocked at 45mph on snow covered ice&hellip;. Do you have any videos of yours? <span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span><span style="mso-spacerun:yes"></span><span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span></span><![if gte mso 9]><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]>

hy flyr 12-12-2012 07:46 AM

I have some videos with the on-board camera that are pretty cool. In one video I hit the only chunk of ice in the whole parking lot. The prop hit it and that broke the motor mount and the engine went flying off! Slid 30ft from point of impact. Luckily for me it didn't damage the engine and was a pretty quick repair. I can 't get any videos to post here.

benlinus 02-18-2013 03:37 AM

Wow. This one is really a nice piece. Love to see this, but the idea you use to haev a<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);"> </span><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">suspension</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);"> rear axle, wheels and springs is fantastic.</span><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">Also you added some cool headlights and running lights, brillient idea. Look's fabulous. Really love to see this, had never seen such nice piece. Love to have such like my own.</span><div><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255);">Regard's,</span></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ben Linus,</font></div><div><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">GO Here</font></div>