RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Unusual R/C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/)
-   -   Powered Parachutes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/4299874-powered-parachutes.html)

samolot 05-20-2006 10:23 PM

Powered Parachutes

I really like all types of RC planes and my interests in them is incredible. These days, at the club, no one really brings anything worth mentioning and i was wondering what could i bring. I then noticed a website, Airfoil Aviation (powered parahutes). I thought, WOW, this would be a kick ass thing to have at the field, an as i read the payload, i thought to myself that i can attach an HD camera on that! I could film for the club and just have fun doing the hobby. I did a little research on the Airfoil Aviation and it turns out that they are not too hot. People say the parachutes dont work, customer service is horrible, even worse than North East Sailplane Products. I found the Sky Surfer and another website and i thought it would be a nice introductory lesson to parachutes since it cant really haul too much gear (I read the post about the first camera flight of the Sky Surfer, awesome). So basically, my question is, are there any good powered parachutes to use and in the mean time shoot some footage on?

Thanks

Sky Surfer:
http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Produ...ProdID=HBZ7800
or this one:
http://www.raidentech.com/cypasurareco.html
Which costs only 55$, compared to the original 250$

Airfoil:

http://www.airfoilaviation.com/

Jman44 05-21-2006 05:09 AM

RE: Powered Parachutes

I just bought that cheap one from Raidentech the other day. When it gets here I'll let you know how it does. Like you I got it as a cheap way to see how I like Paraplanes. Also I have heard Airfoil Aviation isn't great so while looking for quality paraplanes I did find a site that seems of high quality and great customer service. http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com

samolot 05-21-2006 06:19 AM

Awesome, im really looking forward to it. The seabreeze parashutes are much nicer, and i would enjoy building something to the kit (gondola) in order to make it really a personal experience. Looking forward to the review.

shv2sail 05-24-2006 08:26 AM

I just picked up one of the Raidentech 'sky surfers' off of ebay for $40 - seeing as it's the EXACT SAME unit as the $250 official 'Sky Surfer' I think I did allright. I found a German website that modified the model by adding (2) servos for parachute control - which with a v-tail mix will give you yaw/roll AND pitch control.

Here's the translated version that covers maintenance, motor upgrades and elevator functionality:

http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise.../skysurf3e.htm

Should be an interesting entry into RC paragliding!

Jman44 05-24-2006 04:36 PM

I just got mine, too windy to fly. Yup its an exact copy of the $250 sky surfer. I Found a disapointing review of it here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/allrcp...ndparagliders/
but for $55 you can't go wrong, I plan on adding a brushless motor and lipo along with my own reciever and esc eventually, since I have some spares lying around.

edge_pilot 05-24-2006 09:02 PM

We are currently in the test and development stage of our own powered parachute. It will be electric with a high quality parachute . I can say it won't be $55.00, but the quality will be worth it for people who want a real machine, not a toy. I hope to release it to the public by the end of the summer.

samolot 05-25-2006 06:24 AM

Edge Pilot, How large will it be and what do you htink will be the price tag? I will purchase the "Cyber Flyer" this weekend and im planning a large scale project for this upcoming fall (The 120" Seeabreeze Parachute with the .46 sized Gondola). I think the .46 gondola will make an excellent fit for electric motors.

Jman44, when you do fly it, post a little review up here and tell us what mods did you add :)!

Thanks guys!

Samolot

edge_pilot 05-25-2006 08:02 AM

Ours is right around 63". If this one pans out like we hope we will offer different sizes just like our skydivers. All of ours will be electric to start with. No reason a parachute of any kind has to be noisy.:D

samolot 05-25-2006 08:15 AM

Sounds really interesting. However, i just have a question beyond this topic. I was looking at some wireless video systems so i can fly my paraglider in place where i cant see it. As i was searching , i found some great stuff, expensive, but great. However, as i came down to the add to cart button, there was this exclaimer saying, Amateur Radio License Required! What is this license? THanks.

By the way, edge pilot, whats the price range of your paragliders?

THanks

Samolot

edge_pilot 05-25-2006 04:22 PM

We have not yet set a price range. This will be done when i'm 100% guarenteed of all the included products and what we run into during final testing.

As far as the amateur radio license tha is alittle excessive. There are alot of good cameras out there that do not require that. Amateur radio license is something needed to talk on 2 way radios and a certain frequency. Alot of the cameras are good but the receiver antenna (on the ground) varies. You need a good ground antenna to pic up the airplane no matter where you fly. They are not real expensive but definately recommended.

samolot 05-25-2006 05:51 PM

THanks for the info edge pilot! I will be looking forward to your paraglider!

Jman44 05-31-2006 02:30 AM

Ok I got to fly it once this past weekend. I got it to barely fly maybe 15 feet off the ground, though it was a little brezzy. I think the stock battery is junk, probally too heavy and very short run time. So If you get one a battery up grade is a must. I expect mine to perform much better with a lipo. I did giive it quite a beating with multiple crashes, nothing broke though. I must say taking off of pavement is cool. Landing on grass is a big no no, the gondola toppels over with contact and tangles lines.

soinks 06-01-2006 09:36 AM

Samolot, I bought one of the Airfoil Aviation's and had great success with it. The only thing that I would warn you about is don't try to fly it in ten to fifteen mhp. wind. I did it and the wind was just to much. I managed to get it down with out to much damage, the damage was just a bent landing gear but that was enough to let me know about to much wind. I was flying it with a TT. forty. It was fun and a different kind of flying. I bought it to take up R.C. skydivers that weighed about 2.5 lbs. I didn't get to try the skydiver though but I think that it would handle the job. You could do a few small aerobatics with it which was kind of neat. After my friends lost their skydivers I lost interest in it.

soinks

samolot 06-02-2006 02:32 PM

Thanks, but im only interested in paragliders! Jman, too bad to hear that the raidentech cyber flyer isnt too hot, well see how it goes with the upgrade!

airforced 06-06-2006 08:12 PM

I always thought to myself, ahh, how nice it would be to see a forum about paraplanes.. I just stumbled across one. :) hehe, Its quite new few members, but has potential!

www.rcparaplanes.com

Jman44 09-04-2006 02:11 AM

Alrighty, after much delay, and many projects later the upgrade cyber flyer is complete! It flies awesome, I can't explain in words how much fun it is to fly now. With my geared himax 4200 brushless motor and 8x6 prop it has so much power to spare it can do a loop, although I try not too. A three cell lipo provides plenty of power and can last up 30 minutes with power off gliding, a two cell works but the three cell is my favorite. So if you have a brushless setup and want a cheap fun paraglider this is it. I have crashed it ALOT, do to me taking risks and flying in very windy conditions, and it has survived them all. Once I even lost radio signal and it landed itself safely.

Isaac F 02-11-2007 04:23 PM

Hello guys, do any body have any info on this nitro powered parachute?

http://runryder.com/fastphoto/21870/...s_012-4983.jpg

lundy 02-11-2007 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some foto's of TV produckts ParaPond Wing span 5,5 yards Weight 12 kg Engine ZG 62
Speed 18 miles prh

info [email protected]
Greetings , Lundy

spinbotz 03-10-2007 08:17 PM

EdgePilot, tis good to hear you're heading into the World of Powered Paragliders, I am nearly finished with the motor pack and figure, All I need now is a combo balancer/charger, appropriate sized Lipo cell, and I am ready to hit the skies. A question I need to put forth here, is this:

Should I offset the motor opposite of the torqe direction to prevent torquing out if the throttle is suddenly bumped to full? I have had much success doing the same thing with a geared GWS park 400 brushed setup on my kiteplane resulting in nearly 0 torque due to the motor being on the side of the prop axle rather than below or above it.

If the motor should be *BELOW* the prop axle, *straight up and down configuration* Please advise if that would help too. I can always place the lipo pack to one side of the figure's fabric plastic supported seat to counteract the torque if any resulting in this particular setup.

edge_pilot 03-10-2007 09:33 PM

Hey Guys,

We have got a very nice flying powered parachute now. We are going to introduce it for the first time at Toledo Weak Signals Expo in April. I am getting the manual and that type of stuff together now. Our chute is roughly 65" across and the cart weighs around a couple of pounds ready to fly. We are using a Himax 2816-0980 brushless motor on ours with a 10x7 prop. We didn't put any offset thrust in it at all. After watching closely at it fly I don't think it would do any good (nor harm) to offset the motor. When you are steering the chute the cart moves around (actually I think it is the chute moving) this all adds to the great steering we are getting. It seem to be very throttle responsive with our setup. It holds a very nice glide angle on power off situations. Full throttle is really only needed during a runway takeoff. Once in the air full throttle is just a waste, throttle managment actually makes it fly much better. We will be releasing pictures in the next few weeks. We are hoping this is what people have been looking for, a high quality paraplane for the serious R/C'er.

Mr. Mugen 03-10-2007 09:47 PM

I have 2 of these powered parachutes and love them. I run a 2s lipo 2100 and get around 30 minute+ flights.

HELICOPTERFLYER 03-11-2007 01:45 PM

Ive' seen them fly. and they zoom.

good luck.!

:)

spinbotz 03-13-2007 12:29 AM

the chute on mine won't move. only the trailing edges will. *doesn't swing the figure itself from side to side, though that'd be a nice thing to do... if the servos were strong enough to do so with auw on the arms during flight. Problem is, the arms were set up roughly the same way that the skydiver's arms are set up in a model I referred to, and therefore, swinging the main body side to side, to effect a turn is not possible. *due to the fact the servos are not strong enough to, and they're too small for such loads.* I've gotten some opinions from others stating it might not be a bad idea to offset the motor to the side and then have the lipo centered below the pilots parapack seat.

DukeZillo 04-15-2007 02:14 AM

how can i get a manual/readme/DIY for correct riggin the canopy.
I Have one of these paraplanes, 1/2 scale think so,
but i think the canopy do not have the lines at correct distances, because not look like invert u,
only stays on back of the paraplane, do not go on top.

para.nick 04-23-2007 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi

I just want to show you my scale paragliders and powered paragliders.. I made a few gliding paraglider models at first, then I saw the powered models on the forums and I decided to make one with a motor. it all works fantastic, like a real one. If someone is interested you can see my photo album. ( sorry about my bad english... I am from Slovenia)

greetings, Nace

13BT 06-20-2007 09:09 AM

is there a source for replacement chutes for the sky surfer? Just in case mine gets too messed up in the future ;)

SCMSteve 07-07-2007 02:24 AM

I have two chutes from troy at http://www.seabreezeparachutes.com the customer service cant be beat he test flys everyone and video tapes them and sends it to you before you ever get it. I havent found a better one yet. He has 3 sizes and a 2 year gaurantee.

neubs 07-12-2007 08:38 PM

I was going to buy one of the powered parachutes from airfiol aviation but I though to myself, " I can make one of those myself" so I started building and now I'am almost finished making my home made custom powered parachute! The parachute is 96 inches and I made it myself. I went down to the local fabric store and bought five yards of rip-stop nylon and started sewing. It took me about 10 to 15 hrs to make the "gondala" and about ten to make and sew the parachute.

nebg9 07-14-2007 09:43 AM

That sounds like a very good idea making your own parachute. I bought a sky surfer about 4 years ago and have been having a blast with it. However, now I have gotten to the point where I am bored with the stock setup and am in the process of upgrading it. So far, I have a park 370 3600kv brushless motor planning to make a custom geared system and a polyquest 3 cell 1200mah lipo. I'm replacing the receiver and esc, too, of course. But after coming along to your post I thought of the poor shape of my chute and am now interested in making my own. How do I go about doing that?

arab1012000 07-16-2007 06:32 AM

pls watch

Ruel ParaGlider:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67FD3geZ_4A

arab1012000 07-16-2007 06:35 AM

pls watch

Ruel ParaGlider:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67FD3geZ_4A

homeadeflyer 10-03-2007 09:37 PM

Hey edge you seem like you know a lot about RC parachutes. Could you use a NPW (http://members.shaw.ca/kiteman/NPW9b-4.0m.htm) as a wing? I know they used to be used as parachutes but would i be able to climb with a motor? Also I think it would make an interesting chute for you to try (very easy to make, i have a 5.5 meter kite that will pick me up)[X(]

edge_pilot 10-04-2007 02:50 PM

Thanks, but I wish we knew alot more! We are in the test faze of designing a new Ultimate canopy to go along with our Ultimate diver. Alot of research and development, time and money. We spend 4 hours to sew a chute that doesn't meet our needs, thats dissappointing. As far as the kite for a parachute, not a good idea. The only thing they have in common is there looks from a distance. They are usually made of 2 differant materials, (not all ripstop is the same), they are usually strung up totally differant. Parachutes actuall use the airfoil to create lift, a kite catches wind to propell it up. I can lift myself off the ground with a bedsheet if the wind is right! That doesn't mean the kite will create any lift at all once put in the horizonal possition to be used as a parachute. I know the kite thing seems to be a good place to buy a cheap wing, but you are just creating a bunch of headaches for yourself if you think this will work. All this said is just my 5 years of experience and trial and error opinion. In no way have I tried evrything. I beleave we are on a good track though with this new chute we are making, due to the overwelming input I have taken in from many people in the hobby and in full scale chute design.

Fred 1969 08-10-2008 09:54 AM

I just purchased a used Airfoil Aviation's 1/3 scale powered parachute and have some questions I was hoping someone could answer. First I must say that the company that produces and sells these sucks they provide no help whatsoever, don't care to help you and are rude. First, I was hoping someone would have some close up pictures of the way the lines are setup on the trike and approx. servo positions at rest (neutral). Not really sure of proper radio setup. What is the best way to set up my computer radio to fly this? I can tell you I have flown it and it flies great once your in the air but then again it may fly better with it set up correctly, I don't know. What take off procedure should be used. I tried to takeoff like the real thing with the chute laid out behind it but the chute inflates and acts just like a break and stops foward progress. Can't get it to continue up over the trike. The only way I have been able to take off is by having two people run alongside and help the chute up over the trike. Once it is over the top the chute flies well. Any experiences with this unit that you could pass on would be great to hear. Very happy with it but there is no support anywhere that I can find.

Slammed 08-10-2008 01:33 PM

this is cool I did not know they had these

bry14661 10-01-2008 07:15 PM

hey Jman, how much did it cost you to turn this into a brushless setup? do you reccomend it or would i be better off buying one that doesnt need upgrading right away?

Shortbuss 11-04-2008 12:45 AM

I had a brainwave today. I was reading this thread the other day and realized I really want an RC PPC. I have a Firebird 2 that I have crashed way to many times, and a dual control lone kite. First I am not sure if the kite will work, I dont see why it wont. Second I am not sure in the Firebird 2 motor is powerfull enough. But it is a three channel, so I could have left, right and flare.

I have 80 real paragliding flights and almost 40 skydives, so I almost know what I am doing.

Any advice or tips?

Shortbuss 11-04-2008 01:29 AM

Damn I found a problem already. The servos arent going to be strong enough I dont think. And I am not sure if I can wire stronger servos into it. I want to make this thing out of existing junk I have lying around. I might try and construct a gondola and see how it free flys first. Then add the motor and controls.

KATANA260 03-25-2009 03:00 PM

Hello everyone.
I bought a model www.paramotoreskamicaze.com and I'm very happy.
Fly very well.
It's fantastic

rcflyby 03-27-2009 09:30 AM

I have an airfoil paraglider. What engine do you have on yours. Mine has a O.s. 46 fx. First make sure the line are not tangled and then hook it up. I lay the chute spread out on the runway with the open to the back of the paraglider. I give about half throttle or less till the chute fills with air and I can steer it. the I give her the onion and take off. If you would Like i will film it and post on youtube for you. I going flying this weekend and I love to fly mine and film with it. I also let other newbies fly it. Its a great training tool. I post on ofmy flight on youtube last night. Check it out.