RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Unusual R/C (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/)
-   -   What's your favorite, funnest RC ever, thats not a car/truck/plane/boat/heli? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/unusual-r-c-245/9974890-whats-your-favorite-funnest-rc-ever-thats-not-car-truck-plane-boat-heli.html)

carl1864 09-01-2010 07:25 PM

What's your favorite, funnest RC ever, thats not a car/truck/plane/boat/heli?

So I've definetly been bitten by the RC bug. I already drive nitro trucks, fly airplanes, and fly a CP heli, but still want more. I know there are all sorts of other unique rc vehicles like bikes, skydivers, tricopters, Ornithopters (flapping wings),fork lifts, and a ton of others. But heres the real question......

Which one is the most fun RC vehicle/gadget that is not your typical car/truck/plane/heli/boat?

You can list more than one if you want. I'm pretty much just wanting to hear about some of those unique little gems, that are outside of the norm, yet able to provide lots of enjoyment. Whether they are hobby grade, or toys doesn't matter, the most important thing is simply the fun factor, and amount of enjoyment they provide.

Deathwish 09-02-2010 12:00 AM

RE: What's your favorite, funnest RC ever, thats not a car/truck/plane/boat/heli?

Seen a pringle can type of car. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1Ic0A1QRY

i also seen flying lawn mower's, pizza boxes's and even a snoopy's dog house with snoopy on it flying. :)

Clean 09-02-2010 05:54 AM

RE: What's your favorite, funnest RC ever, thats not a car/truck/plane/boat/heli?

Which one is the most fun RC vehicle/gadget that is not your typical car/truck/plane/heli/boat?
Well, after eliminating all the above, I'd have to say my TV.

carl1864 09-02-2010 11:13 AM

TV? Lol.

Those flying pizza boxes, and lawnmowers and pringle can are definetly unique, but I don't know if they necessarily would be a lot of "fun" though, I mean any RC is going to be fun, but for example the pringles can, it is indeed an interesting and unique vehicle, but doesn't really look like something that you'd really want to drive all the time for fun.

I'm wondering if there is some off the wall vehicle, perhaps an ornithopter, or desktop forklift, or UFO or some other thing that you may have thought was silly or something, but ended up having lots of fun with it, and wanting to use it over and over again, rather than just once and the novelty wears off.

davidgeorge212 09-02-2010 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya, I have a lawnmower and I wouldnt exactly call it "fun" to fly. Its definitly unique and is a crowd pleaser but it is sort of a high maintence pig to me. It started out flying with an OS 70 surpass but it just seemed like barely enough power to make circuits around the field. I then changed it out to a saito 100 and it has a little bit more power but even still it seems like its got so much drag on it slowing it down. Ever since I put a saito 100 on it, That engine just shakes the heck out of the whole airframe and I half to make repairs to something on it every 3 or 4 flights or so. I dont really fly it very much because of these reasons.

D.J. 10-09-2010 11:54 PM

I like this one . ......... D.J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOy_s...eature=related

Lorduss 10-14-2010 02:25 AM

As someone who owns nearly everything RC related in some form, i must say my sub (a ww2 german style dynamic diving sub, plans from a euro mag years ago) and my 1/5 scale thunder tiger sport bike, super micro speed boats i build from scraps for the most part, hull in lenght 10"
and a RC snowmobile project im doing rank highest on my list
RC snowcat ETC

The sub is interesting, Dynamic diving meaning is powers it self underwater, and does not have a RC air ballast system, speed and downward force drive it under, its fun and challenging, one of my more interesting RC's

my 1/5 thunder tiger bike is another fun one, different than a 1/10 scale RC onroad its close to, you have to predict its turns so much more, driving it fast around a 1/5 scale RC onroad track is a real challenge, with a regular RC car you can just slam on the brakes and turn, with the bike you have to setup for the corner, not brake to hard, power out nice and smooth. totaly different and one of my favs

the micro speed boats are 10" in hull lenght, totaly custom for the most part, what makes them unique for me is i build them from for the most part scraps from other projects, my first one started out as a micro brush motor from a crashed RC plane (12MM diamater motor, tiny) with 4" of steel rod left overs for a drive shaft, cast metal static prop that actually worked fantastic, balsa scraps from plane kit boxes.
2S lipo, less than 20$, 8amp ESC from plane that crashed, leftover brushed motor, rest of boat and had it going near 20mph on a small lake, i couldnt belive what i turned some scraps into, stuff people i know would throw away.
im now on super micro #4, i have evolved to a 12X30MM brushless on 3S lipo, powering a kyosho formula boat prop, boats totaling in weight around 6oz ready to run, most of the smaller parts are machined on my mill, rudders, rudder mount, running gear, building small perfection one step at a time.
15" long hull is considered micro so this is downright tiny, nice thing about this is its so small its downright cheap, i built it from left overs from other projects for the most part and its by far my cheapest RC investment, i call each one small speed =)

RC snowmobile, self cast plastic parts, CAD designed and water jet cut alum chassie, CAD designed rubber drive belt, designed from the ground up to be what its supposed to be and just like a real sled SHOULD be, overpowered and to much fun, hopefully finished in a year or so =)

the RC snowcat is my 6 year old project on this forum called nitro blizzard into park bully (a few pages back or so in the unusuall forum) custom built 2 way blade, 3 servos total doing moving function with a nitro blizzard turned electric with a crawler setup for slow strong movement, very very unique considering how few people have mounted blades on a blizzard let alone multi direction blades, fun yet different crawler style.

let alone even more projects i dont have time or money for, gosh i love grid paper

collector1231 12-02-2010 06:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzsI4...eature=related The mouse.

clutchjunkie 01-06-2011 04:45 PM

I just recently finished up a 1/24 "Monster Tank" (late 80's/eary 90's style monster truck with tank treads) I built from some Tamiya kit parts and stuff I had laying around. It is super fun to just tool around the house with and chase the cat. I was thinking about doing a build thread, but it was pretty simple so I don't know.

I will post some pics later (I am at work right now). I am thinking of trying to design and build a 1/10 full race ready version, similar to the tyco Fast Traxx but with hobby electronics and suspension, but money is tight right now so that may have to wait.</p>