Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub review.

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub review.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub review.

Last week I decided that I wanted a winter plane. Something that I could put skis on and be docile (for when you can't feel your thumbs), while still being aerobatic (after that hot cup of coffee). Something easy to transport and put together, but not a parkflyer. I have plenty of 3D profile planes, but I wanted something else. "Why not a Cub?" I thought. I figured I would check NitroPlanes website as I have had a few of their planes and liked them. I saw this [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-clipped-cub-1660mm-kit.html]Cub[/link] and decided it was worth a go. Pics looked good and I love the blue and white clipped-wing scheme.

I got it for $120 shipped to my door. I also ordered a Monster Power 32 from HobbyPartz. I will be running it on a 4S 3,700 mAh pack. It should be good for unlimited vertical. I got the Cub this morning (took less than a week), so I only got a few minutes to look at it before having to leave for work. Quality looks great but I will wait until tonight to unpack everything before making that call.

I was pleasantly surprised that you get dummy cylinders, even though they are not shown in the parts photo. I almost ordered a different cowl just to get them. Now I just need some Cub wheels.

It has rather large full-length ailerons for what it is.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Sessholvlaru

Default RE: NitroPlanes 65 inch clipped-wing Cub review.

Ok, finally got everything out of the box and I am very impressed. The covering job is perfect and, I kid you not, equal in quality to Great Planes and Horizon product.

Also I surprise is that the Cub comes with fully articulating scale landing gear, not the weird spring and wire deal shown in the pictures.

The airframe is exceptionally light. The fuselage is mostly thin plywood, and weighs half what you would expect it to looking at it.

Also surprising for a NitroPlanes ARF is that all of the slots have the covering pre-cut and even the inner windshield frames are painted black.

So, initial quality is a 10/10. Looks like a steal for $99. Construction to follow.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Sessholvlaru

Aileron servos. I used mini Hitec HS-225BB's, as they save me about an ounce each over standard size servos.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Sessholvlaru

Hatch installed. The fit isn't the greatest ever, but it is ok.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Sessholvlaru

After looking at the included aileron hardware, I decided to use what was provided. Everything looks fine except the EZ links. I had to remove one after putting it on, and it quickly broke in half where it clips onto the pushrod. The plastic they are made out of is exceptionally brittle, so I am glad I caught that now. I replaced them with Dubro ones I had lying around. Pushrods and control rods are stock.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Sessholvlaru

Made some more progress. The gear is really neat but I think I will need to substitute the rubber bands for O-rings or some more resilient type of elastic. I will be better able to tell once it has the weight of the rest of the gear in it. So far quality is still 10 out of 10. The included wheels were rubber (surprising, expected foam) but I swapped them out for Dubro Cub wheels.

The strut design is interesting as they key together. Also, I really like how easy they come off of the fuse and then the wings. The middle support also allows them to stay connected to the wing halves and fold flat.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 AM
Sessholvlaru

Got the Monster Power 32 from HobbyPartz, here it is mounted. It is a tad too short for proper cowl to prop spacing and required a few washers to move it forward.

I fitted the cowl and dressed up the dummy cylinders with some silver paint. Prop is a 13x6.5 and the combo puts out 650 watts at 40 amps. I might try a 14x7 as I have some leeway on the ESC.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Sessholvlaru

I'm moving this thread to the Electric forum.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 PM
jerry05032111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aileron servos. I used mini Hitec HS-225BB's, as they save me about an ounce each over standard size servos.
<col width="663"></col>
Microsft Office 2007
<col width="663"></col>
Microsft Office 2007
<col width="663"></col>
Microsft Office 2007