Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

The Aeroworks Extra 300L BIG Profile Plane

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

The Aeroworks Extra 300L BIG Profile Plane

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Aeroworks Extra 300L BIG Profile Plane

My friend and I have each just built the 80" Extra 300 profile plane from Aeroworks. He and I were looking for something outrageous to put our YS 120's in. We have built one full span at 80" and the other one rib shorter at 73"

http://www.devino.org/mark/airplanepics/aeroworks.htm

If you take on this project, know that the instructions are for this kit are terrible. They're just photocopied typewritten instructions that do NOT always match the plan. The plans don't match the building instructions 100% either. In fact, while framing Aeroworks was called a couple times during the process. When asked about better instructions and current plans, they said they only sell a dozen or so of these kits each year now, so they will probably do nothing.

Is the kit worth two hundred bucks, you ask? In my opinion the contents of the kit are NOT worth $200. It's really just a box of balsa and hardwood stock, some balsa and lite ply sheeting, aluminum gear, plans and some laser cut ribs. But it IS good light strong wood and the finished product is WELL worth the $200. Like I say, when you first open the box you'll be a little disappointed that you spent $200 on it.

http://www.devino.org/mark/airplanepics/aeroworks.htm

No big deal though, the planes are a HOOT. And plans and instructions notwithstanding, they ARE really well engineered and they're light. They tout this one as "the King of Fun Flys". The first of TWO of these that we're building was completed a week ago. The only issue to address before it was ready to fly is the CG. Aeroworks said it need to CG on the spar and that we could expect it to be NOSE heavy with a YS 120 on it. Instead it came out a little tail heavy. By adding a hub to the engine crankshaft, moving the engine forward about an inch and moving the battery way forward in the wing root, it DID CG without adding weight.

The first plane done is the full 80" one, covered orange/white/black. The next one, done just today (4/14/02), is clipped-wing at 74". All up weight of the 80" one is 10lbs, 2 oz. including some balance ballast. The shorter winged one has finished at 9 lbs 8 oz complete with 3 extra ounces of nose weight.

Now for the FLYING. We got this first Aeroworks plane flown. All I can say is W-O-W! This thing does it all. The first plane finished was my friends. This was a joint project to build two of these. The YS 120's we are using seem PERFECT. Power is ridiculous. The plane hovers all day and can rocket vertically out of a tailsllide. We CG'ed this one about 1/2" aft of the spar.

-Cheech