Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

ESC cooling in the FMS T-28 Trojan...an easy fix.

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

ESC cooling in the FMS T-28 Trojan...an easy fix.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC cooling in the FMS T-28 Trojan...an easy fix.

The FMS line of planes offers many bells and whistles, fully installed, at a very attractive price.....but like most things in life...it isn't a totally perfect scenario.
The one issue I had was very inadequate air flow to keep the expensive ESC from over heating and becoming defective.
I have the FMS 1400mm T-28, and I really like the plane, and also really like the customer service from MotionRC, the seller. After a typical 6 or 7 minute flight, the ESC was so very hot, it would almost burn my fingers to touch it.
That can lead to an early failure of the ESC. To correct this issue, I removed the front cowl, and poked a piece of music wire into the foam from the front of the fuselage, with the wire perfectly lined up to give a straight shot onto where my ESC was mounted inside the fuselage. Then using a piece of 1/2" brass tubing as a hole cutter, I put the brass tubing over the wire, using the wire as a guide, and proceeded to ream out a hole to lead air directly onto my ESC. Filing the end of the brass a bit toothy and ragged helps it cut faster. Finally I trimmed around the front of the hole with a hobby knife to create a bit of a funnel to ram air inside and onto the ESC. It may sound a bit crude...but it worked like a dream. After each flight I check the ESC and find it to be dramatically cooler...no problem to touch it with my fingers. This tip may apply to other models in the FMS line...which is a very broad and impressive line of ready to fly planes that are well detailed and much larger that the ones you are used to seeing.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Rickeye

Is the FMS T-28 differnet than the Airfield T-28?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Sorry, but I have never seen the Airfield T-28, so I can't answer your specific question. Most of these ARF's are either the same, or quite similar. I would suggest that you take a good look at the fuselage and determine for yourself if you could bore a ventilation hole. It does not have to be very large...a half inch hole will admit a huge amount of cold air when flying. Just be sure that the ESC is mounted in such a position that the incoming air from the vent hole will flow directly onto it.
The FMS T-28 has a large hard plastic cowl, which can be easily removed with a few small screws to allow good access for boring the vent hole through the foam. You may find your Airfield is similar.
Good luck with it.