User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Best Value in a 2.4 Ghz radio

Old 10-25-2013, 05:25 PM
jecchile
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iīd stay away from the T-SIX transmitter... I just got mine, because I read some positive reviews, but it wonīt hold the bind to the receivers... search youtube and youīll be surprised at the problems. I guess you get what you pay for. In my case it was wasted money as I donīt plan to send it back - almost more expensive than the radio and considering that I already paid postage when I ordered it, much more expensive. I hope I can sell the receivers - I heard that they are good. I would not recommend the T-SIX under any circumstances...
Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM
thailazer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I appreciate all the inputs on this thread, and I am very happy with the Spektrum DX6i being the best value for me. I've been using it several times a week and it does the job for me perfectly. I had an incident a few days ago where I ended up dropping the unit onto concrete, breaking off a dual rate switch and damaging the right hand stick. I thought for sure it was time for a new unit but after I got the back off, I could see no damage beyond the stick off its gimbals. I took out the elevator pot retainer, slide the pot out of the way and reinstalled the pivot, sliding the pot back in and reinstalling the the retainer. The plastic they use is not the brittle kind so when the stick hit the concrete, the gimbals flexed and released it with no damage. Quite surprising. Flew again the next day with no problems after that shock test!

I just ordered the Spektrum Flight Logger as I am curious to see if I am getting any frame errors when flying far out. No signs of problems, but I figure it is additional data to help gauge the health of the flying system.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 AM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad that your DX6i transmitter is working out for you. Unfortunately, for me and many others, that is not the case with the Orange T-SIX. QC control on who makes this product is very inefficient and defective products go out for us unfortunate consumers. I wish HK would help but I am not holding my breath.
I will try to get a Spektrum DX6i (if I can find one here) if my receivers Orange 620 will bind to a friendīs Spektrum system. Will test them tomorrow at the field.

Last edited by jecchile; 10-26-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 AM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FoamFlyinfool View Post
The best bang for the buck has to be Orange T-Six it weighs a little more than a DX6i but it comes with a backlit screen and a JST plug for rechargeable batts as well as the norm 4 AA battery slots this thing will do everything the DX6i will do besides binding to a DSMX reciver but unless your flying with 50 planes in the air there is no need for DSMX you cant go wrong with the Orange I have dropped mine many time still has all its switches works like it's new the only con I can give the Orange is the battery compartment door if you not carefull opening it you will break it so that it wont stay closed and it will constantly fall off. The little tab on the door that holds it snug is very brittle so be sure to push down before sliding off or it WILL break.
You are a lucky man FoamFlyinFool... the Orange T-SIX has many problems especially in binding to their own receivers... just check Youtube or other forums... I just got mine with 4 receivers and all of them lose the bind when powered on after the bind sequence... they just keep blinking indicating that there is a fault... the servos and motor work but since there is a problem... I will not fly it. I guess itīll make a good paperweight.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
You are a lucky man FoamFlyinFool... the Orange T-SIX has many problems especially in binding to their own receivers... just check Youtube or other forums... I just got mine with 4 receivers and all of them lose the bind when powered on after the bind sequence... they just keep blinking indicating that there is a fault... the servos and motor work but since there is a problem... I will not fly it. I guess itīll make a good paperweight.
After you bind, do you turn your TX off and on again? If you don't do this, if you just turn off the receiver, and turn it on again the lights will flash. This is normal.

See my video here - the flashing light is a function of a DSM2 receiver and it is telling you the power was removed and re applied. The only way to avoid this is to cycle the transmitter also.

This vid also covers DSMX but pay attention to the lights on the receiver when in DSM2 mode (as most of the Orange receivers are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tbes9f1_c If you are cycling the TX also and the receiver lights still flash at power up then yes I would say there is a problem.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-26-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Rob2160 View Post
After you bind, do you turn your TX off and on again? If you don't do this, if you just turn off the receiver, and turn it on again the lights will flash. This is normal.

See my video here - the flashing light is a function of a DSM2 receiver and it is telling you the power was removed and re applied. The only way to avoid this is to cycle the transmitter also.

This vid also covers DSMX but pay attention to the lights on the receiver when in DSM2 mode (as most of the Orange receivers are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Tbes9f1_c If you are cycling the TX also and the receiver lights still flash at power up then yes I would say there is a problem.
I saw your video - thanks... very interesting. I am also including a video that shows my T-SIX and the problems I am having... perhaps it is a "brownout"... if you see something I am not doing correctly, please advice. I started in RC in 1971 and have used many different radios but never one that has given me so much trouble as the Orange T-SIX.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igUrn...ature=youtu.be

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After watching the video in the beginning the esc is not arming and in turn is not sending power to the receiver.

T six only sends a bind signal when the tx is turned on, it does not send out a continuous bind signal and you do not need to hold the bind/timer lever to bind.

Also in the video you should be pulling the bind plug after bind then turning off the receiver power.

At the end of the video when the esc finally arms what is the range at that point, other then the blinking light which I'm guessing it is doing as it is ready a difference in voltage from the flight pack to the esc bec voltage or a split second loss of signal, is it working correctly other then the blinking light?

Does the 620 receiver work with other spektrum tx's? do you have any other Hk (610,615) or Spektrum receivers you can try?

I thought it was working fine before with the flight battery but was only having a problem with the esc?

Do you happen to have a small epp test airplane or car or ? you can use to test things out?

I still think it is a bind or a R620 receiver problem and not a tx problem.

Can you please hook up the flight battery, insert bind plug, turn on flight battery, turn on TX, let bind, remove bind plug, turn off receiver then tx. Turn on tx then receiver and see where we are at.

Please make sure the signal wire is where the S is on the receiver. If the light does not go steady after 15 seconds shut it off and try turning on the receiver first and then the tx and let it sit for 15 seconds and see if that is any different. I'm sorry but on the video between trying to make the receiver bind with the TX already turned on and leaving the bind plug in too many times and connecting and disconnecting the motor wires off the esc? and swapping different power sources the video is way too confusing to try to help what the problem is.

Here is all the T6 problems I am aware of

Some early models had led problems.
Reduced power output does not work.
USA and Euro output is the same.
Battery compartment is tight.
Autobind is confusing to some.

I have seen many Spektrum tx land with the receiver blinking and no noticeable loss in flight and the flight went fine, also Spektrum DSM2 is not known for the fastest bind/rebind as far as radio brands go and I would be more concerned about that then the blinking light. I hope you get things worked out or find a deal on a DX6I or a DX5e or DX4e? so you can get airborne or maybe look into Frsky.

Last edited by keyman; 10-26-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all your ideas and yes, I have tried all your suggestions... I just returned from the flying field and had the receiver you saw on the video, BIND with a Spectrum radio with no glitches... we performed the BIND and then played with turning the receiver on and off in different configurations... it always came back to a solid light and the peripherals all worked.

I know that the T-SIX does not require the Trainer switch to be held during BIND... actually I tried it both ways and with the switch pulled, even though the screen shows a BIND message, it never BINDS that way... BIND only functions when the Trainer switch is released. Actually, the Trainer switch works only at times... it is supposed to start/stop the Timer when assigned and it does it only sometimes.

I do not have a car or disposable airplane to test it... I like to have my planes in perfect shape and when crashed, I usually give them away for someone to fix and fly...

The ESC and motor I used in the video are working fine... the ESC has been used to fly and the motor was brand new - a spare for my glider. Donīt know why it wouldnīt arm in the beginning of the video as the battery was fully charged and the pins in the connectors were checked for proper polarity... the Orange 620 has the pins reversed from other receivers but the signal wire is labeled on the side of the receiver.

YES, when the receiver is blinking (which happens to all 4 of the receivers I purchased) the servo and motor work... I even Range Checked the radio and the test was better than the required 90 feet. The ESC showed a steady 5V input to the receiver... the receiver should run, I believe, from 3.5V to 7V... but for some reason, when the ESC was in line, as in the beginning of the video, nothing would happen but when I connected a 4.8V pack with a switch, it bound without any problems. Of course, if you turn the Rx and TX off, the BIND is lost and you have to do the BIND process again. WEIRD.

I have performed the sequence you indicate in your paragraph "Can you please...etc" and the result is the same... blinking light when it BINDS but after removing the bind plug most of the time the BIND is lost and have to do it all over again. I think I showed that in the video.

The transmitter is set to the US standard for power and in the beginning I had 4 AA (1.5V each) installed... now it has 4 AA rechargeable batteries (1.2V each)... All of the features of the TX seem to work OK except that, like I said before, the trainer switch only works sometimes - I tested it to Start/Stop the Timer.

Well, I think I answered all the questions you may have...
Again, today at the field, the receiver performed without ant glitches when bound to a Spektrum 7 channel transmitter.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Last edited by jecchile; 10-27-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you tried any other receivers other then 620 with the T6?
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by keyman View Post
Have you tried any other receivers other then 620 with the T6?
No, I donīt have any other DSM2 receivers. My other radio is a Hitec 5CH with Minima receivers but I was looking for something more programmable.

I purchased the T-SIX with 4 Orange 620 receivers as I read those were Full Range and have the option of a satellite, the Orange 615 is a Parkflyer type of receiver and since I fly mostly electric gliders and love to send them way up... I needed something I could trust as far as I could see and then some.

Iīm hoping that HK Tech Support will answer with a solution--- if not, I have a very bright paperweight on my hands as I will not fly it the way it behaves.

Thanks again...

UPDATE... Yesterday I bound my receivers to a Spektrum 7 radio transmitter and everything worked fine... the receivers showed a solid light after bind and through many cycles of turning on and off.
There is something seriously wrong with the software of the transmitter, I think... also, since the bind sequence is sent every time the Tx is powered on, if there is someone else doing their bind on a DSM2 receiver - WATCH OUT...

Last edited by jecchile; 10-28-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone been able to open the case on a Optic 6 Sport 2.4?... I need to open it up in order to adjust the sticks tension... Iīve tried removing the 4 screws that supposedly keeps the case in place but it wonīt budge... donīt want to force anything as I donīt want to break it.
Thanks for your help...
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post
Has anyone been able to open the case on a Optic 6 Sport 2.4?... I need to open it up in order to adjust the sticks tension... Iīve tried removing the 4 screws that supposedly keeps the case in place but it wonīt budge... donīt want to force anything as I donīt want to break it.
Thanks for your help...
per the manual, there are SIX screws... (check the bottom of page 7 .. you may have missed the 2 screws in the handle )
http://www.servocity.com/Manual_Optic6Sport2.4.pdf
Old 11-13-2013, 05:06 PM
jecchile

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by AMA 74894 View Post
per the manual, there are SIX screws... (check the bottom of page 7 .. you may have missed the 2 screws in the handle )
http://www.servocity.com/Manual_Optic6Sport2.4.pdf
Thanks... getting blind in my old age hihihi.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM
paul files
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2.4 tx best value

Say what you will about Futaba 6ex 2.4!! I have been using the same radio for over two years in large scale gas "Edges and Extras" and smaller scale elactric planes of the same!!Easy to navigate, very reliable,.. I rig planes simple so I dont need 10 plus chanels!!...anyway, 6EX 2.4 is great bang for the buck
Old 01-31-2014, 05:35 AM
Rob2160

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by paul files View Post
Say what you will about Futaba 6ex 2.4!! I have been using the same radio for over two years in large scale gas "Edges and Extras" and smaller scale elactric planes of the same!!Easy to navigate, very reliable,.. I rig planes simple so I dont need 10 plus chanels!!...anyway, 6EX 2.4 is great bang for the buck
Nothing wrong with a 6EX, as reliable as any of the higher end Futaba radios in my experience. I just ran out of model memories on mine so upgraded to a 7C and then 8FG.

Looking for a good value 2.4Ghz radio. I would wait for the just announced new Spektrum DX6 - lots of great features, Bearing Gimbals, 250 Memories, Telemetry, Voice, Ability to use TX Lipo.. For not a lot of money..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...mode-2-SPM6700

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SPM6700_a0.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1964066  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The FrSky Taranis is far and away the best value these days for a sport radio. Open source programming, computer interface, model match, voice capabilities, telemetry, module slot for Futaba, JR or Spektrum modules, plus receivers are only $20.00 or so. All for less than $200 for the transmitter.

The telemetry functions are incredible. I have real time receiver battery voltage and signal strength received by the receiver on my transmitter. I'm buying a variometer for my glider, just plugs into my receiver and gives me altitude and rate of climb indication at the transmitter.

The FrSky Taranis is light years ahead of the mainstream radio manufacturers. Worth a look!

Last edited by 049flyer; 01-31-2014 at 08:55 PM.