Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Best Internet solution for Travellers

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Best Internet solution for Travellers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Internet solution for Travellers

Not directly RC related but I do use it to browse RCU while overseas...

I live in Australia but frequently travel to the USA and Europe.

An ongoing problem has been high roaming charges for data / internet when overseas.

I have a bag full of 3/4G devices from various countries and a dozen travel sims that work to varying degrees.

But I have finally found a really great "all in one solution"

A company called "Global Gig" www.globalgig.com.au or outside Australia www.globalgig.com

They have two versions, a 3 G wifi modem or sim cards for use directly in an iPad / Android device.

I have been trialling both for the last month in the USA and am now in Italy and I have to say, they work great.

I have the 3G device, which connects up to 5 devices, and I also have their sim card in an iPad.

It works great in Europe, the USA and Australia, They have various plans but I have the "jet setter" plan on both versions, $49 per month for 5GB valid in 11 countries. No extra roaming charges.

Speeds are pretty good and I can watch Youtube without buffering 80% of the time, it is perfect for browsing and Emails. In the USA I was using Google Maps for navigating on an iPad and the Global Gig sim never missed a beat.

I don't work for them, but just sharing a great find. If you travel, this is the way to avoid crazy roaming internet charges.

It is only data, no phone calls.

I have tried many solutions and so far this is the best.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM
linda82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hope this useful for me.. *sigh
just came back from thailand last year.. planning to see KL this year...

Last edited by linda82; 03-01-2014 at 10:40 AM.