Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

ESS-ONE car engine sound module REVIEW

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

ESS-ONE car engine sound module REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM
Stryker48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESS-ONE car engine sound module REVIEW

ESS-ONE RC CAR ENGINE SOUND MODULE - Average street price with free shipping: $99 USD

COMPREHENSIVE & DETAILED SPECS: (some not specified in the manual)
*30W Power Amplifier
*Supply voltage range of amplifier: 5Volts - 25Volts
*Speaker impedance: 4 Ohms
*Output Power under 4 Ohms: 20W / 3S(lipo) per channel
*Audio channel: Single channel 30W output power.
*2S - 6S compatible - (2S recommended if you don’t want to risk blowing the speaker.)
*S-Link (USB) interface
*Output is Short-Circuit, Overload, Over-Current and Thermally Protected.
*Size: length: 94mm x Width: 48mm x height: 30.5mm
*Weight: 88.5g
*Construction: Casing is black plastic with metal speaker grill
*Universal fit
*29 FREE engine sounds to choose from
*16 engine sounds to choose from @ $2 each
*25 FREE auxiliary sounds which include: (turbo, brake, siren & horn sounds)
*3 Auxiliary (turbo) sounds @ $1 each
*Unit is only capable of storing ONE engine sound plus ONE of each auxiliary sounds at a time.
*9 stage volume adjustment.
*Memory capacity 4mb.

Unfortunately, your own sound files cannot be uploaded onto and/or used with this current unit. (no known hacks at the time of this posting!)

WHAT’S INCLUDED:
*1 x ESS-ONE Sound Module (with preloaded engine, brake & turbo sound with shifting & rev limiter On.)
*1 x Shielded cable with “Deans” (male & female) Pig Tail connection (between battery & ESC)
*1 x Y Cable (connects to Rx & ESC)
*1x USB connector. (for changing sound files on your windows only computer)
*1 x Instruction Leaflet (English - easy to understand.)
*3 x Double Sided Tape squares for mounting unit. (if required)

FIRST IMPRESSION:
Nice looking fairly compact “plug and play” unit which appears to be well made.
Construction is black plastic with black mesh speaker grill, with +- volume control.
The included English instructions are pretty straight forward and easy to understand and appears to be very easy to install and should fit into most 1/10 vehicles and above.

You will need to register on the Sensehobby website and download the app, BEFORE you can start downloading and/or changing the engine sounds or parameters on the ESS-ONE sound module. (Unfortunately the software is ONLY windows compatible. - XP - Win8.)

SOFTWARE PROGRAM (RC Plus):
Here is where the ‘unit falls “a little short”, as the software is a mixture of Chinese and English, although not difficult to navigate, once you get the gist of it.
It should be noted the software runs on the slow side (sometimes hangs, at least from my experience!)

Within the software program (RC Plus), you can download various engine sounds, brake sounds, turbo sounds, as well as siren and horn sounds. (most are FREE however a few you ‘have’ to PAY between $1 and $2 each for.) - Absurd as far as I’m concerned! ... “should ALL be FREE”
The sounds you are required to pay for, don’t sound any better than any of the free sounds IMHO.

You can also ad (or remove) shifting (Up only) and change various parameters within the program as well as set up low voltage protection cutoff, battery voltage, rev limiters etc.

FREE UPLOAD-ABLE ENGINE SOUNDS (total 29):
ON-ROAD:

*Touring car: 12 (good selection)
*Drift car: 1
*Nascar: 3
*F1: 1

OFF-ROAD:

Buggy/Truck: 6
Rally car: 3
Crawler: 2
Tractor Truck: 1

ENGINE SOUNDS FOR PURCHASE (total 16): (@ $2 each - purchased through paypal)
ON-ROAD:

*Touring car: 6
*Drift car: 2

OFF-ROAD:

*Buggy/Truck: 1
*Rally Car: 5
*Crawler: 2

FREE AUXILIARY SOUNDS (total 25):

*Turbo sounds: 14 (good selection)
*Brake sounds: 3
*Horn sounds: 4
*Police siren: 1
*Ambulance sirens: 3

AUXILIARY SOUNDS FOR PURCHASE (total 3): (@ $1 each - purchased through paypal)
*Turbo sounds: 3

INSTALLATION:
Installation was very simple as it’s plug and play. If you don’t use deans connectors, you WILL require an adapter to run this unit, as the Pigtail connection is male/female deans which connects between your battery and ESC.

CALLIBRATION:
The calibration is very simple with the easy to follow instructions and only takes a few seconds.

PRELOADED ENGINE & AUXILLIARY SOUNDS:
The ESS-ONE comes with preloaded engine sound and auxiliary sounds (shifting & brake) which may vary from batch to batch.
The preloaded sounds will usually include a small block V8 engine sound, brake sound and turbo sound. I found the pre-installed small block V8 engine sound to be very good, although I’m personally not a fan of the cheesy brake screech sound (easily removed and/or changed, as is the turbo sound.) There are also individual volume and parameter adjustments for each sound.

INSTALLATION: WHERE WILL THE ESS-ONE FIT BEST?:
While this unit is quite compact (length: 94mm x Width: 48mm x height: 30.5mm), there are some models this unit won’t fit into.
1/10 on road cars should be easy enough to fit into, in ‘most’ cases.
1/10 buggy will be a VERY tight fit, ... IF AT ALL!.
1/10 truck or crawler should be an easy enough fit.
1/8 scale and above should be OK, including some 1/8 buggies. (Fits into my 1/8 4WD buggy.)
Installation is very quick and simple, however you do need to make sure the unit is as well ventilated as possible as the onboard amplifier also generates heat adding even more heat to the already hot ‘cab’, produced by the motor, ESC and batteries.

RUN TIME LOST DURING USAGE:
This unit uses your car or trucks battery to power the amplifier in the unit, which in turn is directly related to the volume set. (The higher the volume, the more the ESS-ONE unit is going to drain your battery.)
You can expect to lose an average of 2- 3 minutes runtime, when used continuously at average volume setting.
It IS possible to connect this unit to it’s own separate battery supply, instead of using the main battery, however that WILL ad MORE weight and require MORE space.

BEST USES: (it should be noted this unit is NOT WATERPROOF, so please keep this in mind)
*Scalers
*Drifters
*Trucks
*Casual light on and off-road bashers (dry conditions)

MOST APPEAL:
This unit would appeal to the drifter, scaler and truck crowd most of all.

LEAST APPEAL:
Competitive racers and all weather heavy bashers.

SCORE:
*Ease of Installation: 10/10 (very easy and quick to install)
*Software: 6/10 (slow with mixed English & Chinese - only windows compatible.)
*Show: 8/10 (compact, can fit into most (not all) 1/10 scale and above)
*Sound quality: 9/10 (realistic engine sounds with startup and idle.)
*Auxiliary sounds: 8/10 (good. although a few you have to pay for) ‘cheesy’ brake sounds.
*Sound volume: 8/10 (impressive, for such a small unit.)
*Bash-ability: 7/10 (good for bashing however NOT waterproof and REDUCED run time.)
*Uses: 7/10 limited to cars (on and off-road), buggies and trucks and possibly boats.(the latter to a lesser degree)
*Overall quality: 8/10 (appears to be well constructed)
*Price: 7/10 (could be better)
*Overall Value: 8/10 (I don’t agree paying for additional sound files @ price - ABSURD!)

Total Score: 7.8 / 10 VERY GOOD - (YES, I would RECOMMEND this unit.)

THE GOOD:
*Plug and Play (’universal fit’)
*Quick & Easy to install and calibrate.
*Compact will fit most 1/10 cars & trucks and above. (1/10 buggies might be a problem to fit.)
*Engine start with touch of the trigger.
*Realistic engine sounds. (forward & reverse)
*Turbo, Brake, Rev Limiter & Shifting sounds as well as Siren and Horn sounds can also be installed.
*Adjustable parameters
*Decent volume (the higher the battery voltage, the higher the maximum volume output.) 2s recommended.

THE ‘BAD’
*Can only store ONE set of engine sounds and auxiliary sounds at a time. (not enough internal memory)
*Reduced runtime of RC vehicle with use of unit. (the higher the volume the more current it draws)
*Software only windows compatible.
*You cannot import/upload/download your own custom sounds.
*Not waterproof.

THE ‘UGLY’
*You have to PAY for some of the auxiliary & engine sound files. ($1 for auxiliary sounds and $2 each for engine sounds.)

CONCLUSION:
Without a doubt, the ESS-ONE sound module DOES add LOADS OF FUN to the overall electric car/truck driving experience and sure to turn heads at your local bash site with its realistic engine and auxiliary sounds, (the ESS-ONE can clearly be heard from approximately 300 - 400 feet away.)
If this unit was waterproof with all free sound files and was able to upload one’s own files as well as mac compatible also, .... this unit would be hard to beat!

All in all, the ESS-ONE is a decent, compact plug & play engine & auxiliary sound module with realistic engine & auxiliary sounds. Quite impressive for such a small unit!

Purchased my ESS-ONE from “Asiatees” (excellent customer service & fast shipping) 10/10
“Thank You Asiatees!”

RECOMMENDED WITHOUT HESITATION. 7.8 /10 (****)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfGi_TndwrA

ESS-ONE fitted into my 1/8 scale Redcat Hurricane XTE.

Engine sound in above video, is the pre-loaded engine sound, which is a small block V8 touring car sound (standard 02)

I will be experimenting with all the different engine sounds and find the most appropriate engine sound for my buggy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sense 1.jpg
Views:	2887
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	2092802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sense 2.jpg
Views:	2703
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	2092803  

Last edited by Stryker48; 04-29-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. Thank you for the effort.
I got this unit for Christmas. I bench tested it for about 30 seconds and it quit. It worked great until them. I am using the original battery, 2000 mah Nimh, that came with my Exceed Drift King so I doubt that I burnt it up with too much power. The speaker does make a click sound when I turn off the power.
Have you had any similar experiences?
Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2016, 02:29 PM
Rocket-J
My Feedback: (1)

ESS One + is sending me a new unit. I give them a plus for service. They are still charging me for shipping. Not 100% on that but it is better than nothing.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 AM
sake

Default ESS-ONE+ fried

Originally Posted by Rocket-J
ESS One + is sending me a new unit. I give them a plus for service. They are still charging me for shipping. Not 100% on that but it is better than nothing.
I fried 6 ESS-ONE+ units in less than a month. Yes, 6! Why? I'm suspecting it may have a compatibility issue. With at least one ESC (Sanwa F2500, brush), it worked fine, but with two others including one brushless (G Force TS50), it emitted hissing noise and went dead when I steered.

I explained the situation to Asiatees, from which I got them all, with photos and all. They say that the very first ESC that got the unit fried ( KO VFS FR2 for brush) was "too powerful", and that my connections were wrong, but they won't tell me where. This is ridiculous. The ESC is one of the most basic, entry models out there. They won't even tell me where I got the wiring wrong, even though I showed them photos with clear annotations. The connections can't be wrong as they are simple and I used three cars with almost identical settings, of which one worked just fine. They sent me one ESS-ONE for free, though. But it also went dead in the course of my trying to find the cause.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Watching people having fun with it on YouTube, I can't help scratching my head and thinking I'm getting all the wrong ones!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1117_LI.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2192403   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1163.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	2192404  

Last edited by sake; 12-06-2016 at 04:50 AM.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM
sake

Turns out the cheap servo (K-Power DMM60) was playing tricks. Changed it to a Savox, and voila, everything's OK. What a waste of time and money. Also I should've bought from a domestic distributor, as that would ensure cheaper replacement in case of failure.
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 03-04-2018, 10:30 PM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Just sharing having some fun with my ESS-ONE sound system on my FPV trucks, sounds awesome!!! Now i feel like driving a real thing!

Videos:

jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 PM
bluesjumper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 PM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's ESS-ONE with extra G-force.

Video:
jnayjaso (04-05-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 05:01 PM
terminator3d3700

All will be happy now. ALL of the sounds are now free! No login required.I just received my ESS ONE +. This was a perfect post at the time of the post. Very informative and right on the money! I can live with everything but not being able to upload the engine sound I need. I purchased Tamiya's 1/10 scale Volkswagen Type 2 (T1).
OK, Team Associated sells mostly race cars/trucks. I wonder why no one thought about other vehicles out there that could definitely use some sound to bring them to life and bring in more money. This Volkswagen for instance and other cars also.Since they didn't have a list of all of the sounds posted anywhere on the internet. I took a chance and ordered it. I was thinking to myself, "Self, by now they should have "All" of the engine sounds for RC vehicles that can use them". Don't get me wrong now as They do have a lot of different engine sounds. And all sound pretty good. I don't need turbo , brake Mainly because a Volkswagen engine, especially the "Bus" and the "Beetle" do not have turbos. I am referring to the stock vehicles.
Does anyone know if there is anyone that has come up with a way to upload engine sounds that will work with the throttle? I know that you can add Auxiliary sounds using .mp3 and .wav files. However, They are used by channel 3 on the receiver. So, any sound you upload that way will only operate when you use the button or switch that activates channel 3, not the throttle. I will contact Team Associated and ask them if they will do a Volkswagen engine sound. I would be willing to pay them $10.00 for it. I sure would like to have a realistic engine sound while driving this. I can always put the stock horn sound in the auxiliary channel 3.
BTW, you can listen to all sounds before you download and install them.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:19 AM
Richard-V

where did you get it?