Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

seagull models

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Adamsfly1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: seagull models

I have a Seagull Ultimate Bipe 46 ARF and I can't make my mind up on what motor to use . OS 60 FX 2S or a 90 to 100 4S can anyone tell me what works best ?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:26 AM
flyremotecontrol

Hey!
I found that using an evloution 61 made the plane to heavy and on landings it more or less fell out of the sky.
went to a Magnun .46 and the plane flew faster and handled very well

Mike
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
EZchopper

I've built at least 5 Seagull kits so far and everyone of them have been extremely good in quality and price.
They've all flown very well and out lived the punishment I've given them.
I've had other makes and brands to compare and Seagull kits win every time.
I've had kits of similar planes costing 2 and 3 time more than Seagull which really were not worth the paper the instruction were printed on.

I'll be starting build of the Seagull Extra 260 1.60 (1.8M) with a gasser 26 cc soon
The kit quality again is very good, hardware is better than alot of other kits i've had and complete.
OK the supplied SPINNER is crap but the instruction are OK.
If you can't make out the instruction in one of these Seagull kits, then you're not at a level to build your own or fly a RC plane.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 PM
pilomeza

Hi Flyremotecontrol:

What do you think about a YS 63 or a Saito 82 for this plane?

Happy Landings
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
pilot4ifr

To add a good word about the arf edge 540 .46 , This kit was easy to build instructions were great. Ok the engine mount has something to be desired and the screws with it suck, So I used my own mounting hardware with there mount. I add a top plate to the fire wall to give more structure too.
Other than that the kit is recommended for ease of build. I had it done in 6 hours ( and I take a 10 min break after each step.)
I will say you must have a dremel tool for cutting the cowling (if you dont own one you will after this kit)
Looks wise I would say I love they do not put there stickers on the plane and that is for you to decide to do. The only down fall to Hanger 9 is there name is stuck on there products( The ones I have seen)
The spinner is to be desired, But I went with a diffrent spinner.
I dont care for the two piece landing gear and it is heavy.

I will see how the plane holds up structual wise hopefully this saturday. ( Please mother nature I am begging you!!)
If you have any suggestions where to beef the plane up please add it on here ......
Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Yakflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Anybody install retracts in this bird?
I am working on one using some Spring Air Retracts and would like to sponge some lessons learned.
Particullarly how to construct the door and it's acutation (open/close) for the gear.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 AM
STICK MODE

]ive 3 jets and over the years owned 4 seagull models thrashed them to death and fly them like i hate them results = large smile my boomerang i put on floats its had over 600 flights knife edged it with floats snaped it ect and its still flying well worth what you pay for much better built than world models (might up set a few people) but the flying time says diffrent just fly them like you hate them and you will enjoy it the PC9 I haved tryed so hard to kill lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87276.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1089997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79470.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1089998  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saito 65 on mine and love it. Half throttle for most flying yet more that enough power for excitement. Just mounted a 60 twin for Grins Now if the snow and ice go away I can go fly it.

JimO
Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Fs one

Hi kirk im sorry but i disagree with you .I am also Canadian.Seagull kits i believe are one of the best kit companys out there.There models are strong and well built.I own the edge 540 its a great kit.I power it with an o.s.160fx.I do agree with you on the manual part it i not the best i have seen.Those with building experience will be a help.If you are a novice in this area i can see where you might have some difficulty.Keep Smiling and keep flying.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will continue to buy Seagull airplanes as I love my/their Gee Bee. They have quite a few interesting models that Horizon doesn't carry too. They have a large Percival Gull that is tempting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16394.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	1356811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96444.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1356812  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 PM
TomM

After my first Seagull Harrier 46 took a dumbthumb dirtnap, I bought the larger 90 Harrier. Just lately I found a NIB Harrier46 again. All electric, and they're great flyers. A little heavier than the competition of equal size, but they take a better beating that other more fragile lighter planes.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
rcmetropolis

WhenI first gotmy 0.90 size Seagull Models Ultimate Biplane I was very excited. It is a beautiful plane and the design looked much more scale then a lot of the other companies who build Ultimates. It is an absolute joy to fly and is very graceful (when it wants to be).

I have affectionately named her "Drama Queen" because every dayI take her out to the field she causes a scene.Iamwrenching on that plane more thenI amflying it. It's like a Harley Davidson with wings. Something is always falling off, going out of adjustment, leaking or breaking. I have in a few short weeks developed a love/hate relationship with this plane. Every once in a while we'll get a show stopping flight out of her but not too often these days.

I've gone through two fuselages so far. NowI'm going to try to rebuild and modify the damaged fuselages rather then buy anymore parts. The bulkheads are made out of paper thin, low grade balsa plywood and that is causing some major issues with landing the plane. The landing gear are mounted right behind the front bulkhead and the wood the gear is mounted to is stronger then the wood the bulkhead and the frames are made out of. Any time the landing gear are put under any thing other then a small amount of stress, you end up ripping the bottom of the fuse off the plane and destroying the bulkheads and frame on either side of them. You don't even have to suffer a hard landing. All you need to do is catch up a wheel on some rough ground or have one of your wheel pants catch funny and you've got a mess.

Seagull Modelsseems to useunethically small amounts of CA in their building process and no stronger glues where warranted. In examining the fuselage during repair I've found several parts they forgot to glue all together. The tension of the covering was the only thing holding some parts in place.I even found spots that were only half glued and one side of said part flopped around as it pleased. Keep in mind I've bought more then one fuselage from this company and found these problems in each one I've tried.Many problems were not visible until I actually removed some covering.

The solution to the problem (I hope) is that I made exact replicas of the bulkheads out of aircraft grade birch plywood. The wood isway stronger then what was in the plane to begin with. I only cut out areas of the bulkhead that were required rather then trying to remove every scrap of wood that I could as I am concerned with strength and not weight. The plane is freakishly light to begin with so the extra weight doesn't concern me as I have all the power I need. I also rebuilt the landing gearmounts withseveral layers of thin airplanegrade birch plywood glued together with epoxy. Muchstronger then that bottom of the barrel plywood they were using. Sure I'll have to rebalance the plane but that is fine with me. Everything I replaced was glued back in with epoxy rather then CA.

I don't know if I got a bad kit or not. All I know is I've had similar problems with two different fuselages now and I'm not buying another fuse. I'm hoping my repairs work and if they do I'll be happy. This isn't a 200 dollar ARF any longer. It's getting closer to a370 dollar ARF. For the record the plane was never crashed. Just landed it on a grass runway. Sure the grass was a little long and it was a little bumpy just because it is spring and the field sat all winter but I wouldn't say this should happen.The first time it happened it was a rougher landing because of an engine failure on take off but nothing that should warrant such massive damage to the aircraft. I've actually crashed airplanes with less damage.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:37 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

I am looking at Seaguls 120 Texan ARF, Does anyone know anything about the plane?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Army ATC
My Feedback: (1)

Well,

I have a Seagull Extra 260 .90 size that I'm about to put together. I'll let you know how it goes. It looks to be of very good quality and I can't wait to fly it. I'll have to come back to this thread after the maiden flight and let you know how the build/first flight goes.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
raven76

Hi I put a few seagull kits together 2 at6 spitfire (think might be blackhorse but all the same ) and in the last 6 months a90 size Decathlon which i fiy with a 75 2 stroke and a 90 size extra 260 which as 108 sc 2 stoke . first kit i put together was a pain but they getting lot better i cant moan at all about the decathion or the extra. I only flew my extra twice last first flight. It is the best extra and i go out say the best plane i have ever flown it will do evering fast or slow. I think the worst kits i put together got be top gun lovel planes to fly but i real nightmere to build and just finshing off a 30cc sbach dont the make of kit night mere some it up but nearly there now.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have  black Horse Extra 300S. YEah I know this is a Seagull thread but Black Horse andSeagull are essentially the same company and provide wimilar levels of quality in their arf's.

I hae been suitably impressed with the construction and parts kits offered in the ARF's. I have no hesitation flying Seagull, Phoenix or Black Horse kits.

In mnay threads I notice there is an obsession with the amount of glue used in arf's. I think we need to be careful here because some Arf'; are glued with either wood glues, CA's or hot melt glues. The latter is aweful for any plane, especially when used sparingly. Wood glues and CA"s are great and we don;t need long runs of the glues to hold the struacture together. Seagull, Phoenix and Black Horse kits seem to be CA'd together and they use enought to ensure a reliable joint.

I will buy another ARF from these sister companies.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM
quikjr1

I have 2 Seagull models .. one is the (larger 90 size) Yak 54. Started with a Saito 100 in it. Flew well!! Changed to a gas engine (2.0 ci RCGF) and flies even better. Unlimited vertical and is a great aerobatic model.
I have had NO structual problems at all and I DO tear up the sky with all my models.
I also have an Ultimate bipe (same color scheme as the Yak 54). It has a CRRC Pro 2.1 cu in gas engine in it. Originally flew with a Saito 1.25. I've been converting most of my models to gas burners. Tired of paying the ridiculous price for glow fuel!! The Ultimate gets the same aerobatic treatment as the Yak 54 .. all over the sky and every rolling/tumbling/snappingthing I can do.
NO structual problems with either model. And I am NOT gentle with my models.
I will continue to buy Seagull models with NO hesitation./
Old 09-28-2010, 06:23 AM
peter tran

They have some very newest models distributed by Horizon with new improvement quality as Cap 232 .91, Mewgull, T6A-Texan II.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
ARRCOMM

have a Seagull Ultimate in the build process and it IS a good ARF. I have an EFlight Power 110 because it calls for a .90 - 1.20. I have had 9 - 11 models and this is a pretty one. It seems to be structurally sound. I have had Hanger 9 and EFlight "birds" and they were built just a step above but the Extra $300 is not worth it. I will have to get back up here after flight and leave a film. I used the money I saved for HT servos and AR7000 and 2 receiver batteries from Hobby King.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Wildman007
My Feedback: (4)

I bought a New Seagull Yak54 5100 and I need to know what the CG is on this plane I need some ones help
Thanks Alan
Old 04-08-2011, 03:46 PM
silvermansteve
My Feedback: (2)

anytime somebody mentions horizon hobby customer service (they distribute seagull?) i have to reference the bitter experience i have had with horizon, the worst. you can see my thread titled "negative experience with horizon" for details if interested. i would never, ever buy anything from them again not losi, not spektrum. not parkzone, not proboat,notanything. i have rcs from many major brands, and never had any experience like with horizon, yecch. hobbico has verygood customer service. so i'd go with great planes.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
4deltagolf

just finished putting together seagull 120 j3 sport cub. installed zenoah g20ei. found plane and assembly great. covering superb. instructions probably no worth looking at but box states intermediate to advanced. hardware was superb minus"scale" wheels. replaced with 1/4 scale dubro. maiden this weekend if weather o.k.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 AM
top242

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pt19.... ist a good choice the asp52 four strokes?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
flyerben

Hey everyone I'm looking at the Seagull Super Tucano .91-1.20. Has anyone here flown it, I've looked online but I can't seem to find a review anywhere. It's certainly a looker but I've never bought a Seagull model before so I don't really know what to expect
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I don't know about the Tucano, but I own a 75 size Seagull Extra 300 and a 90 size Yak. These ARFs are of a very good quality. Perfect covering and everything fits together perfectly. The hardware is also very good. Only thing I changed is the 2 piece landing gear, they just tend to break easy. I'd buy a Seagull model again.
I ordered the Extra through Amazon and the Yak through A Main Hobbys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.