Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540T 40/70

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540T 40/70

Old 04-19-2006, 08:53 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540T 40/70

after waiting about 3 weeks (work always interfers with what's important in life =)), i finally had a chance to fly my edge with the saito .72 yesterday. the plane is great. flies very true, and no bad habbits what-so-ever. i havnt really trimmed her out yet so once i'm done with that, i bet she'll fly even better. looks like with the saito in place isntead of my .52 stroke, i'll need to move the c.g. back further. it's flying a bit nose heavy for my taste (currently at about 3.25" behind l.e.

i'm running a 13x7 apc prop on 15% fuel and i'm not getting as much power as i'd like. with this combo, it BARELY pulls out of a hover. in fact just to keep it in a hover, i'm pretty much almost at full throttle. long vertical uplines are not very authoritative, and in fact just "dies out" towards the top, even at full throttle. now i'm thinking I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE .82! i'm not saying the .72 is exactly a slouch, but for my taste, i'd definitley be happier with more power. my .52 2 stroke pulls it up like a rocket at 75% throttle.

anyway, i'm thinking about trying on a 14x4 to see if that will help and maybe using 20% or more fuel. by the way, according to my lhs, apc has stopped making the 13x4 prop. will i be getting anymore power from this engine as it's broken in more? i broke it in with 3 tanks on the ground and have flown it another 3 tanks in the air. i'm taching it at 9000-9200 rpm. it runs beautifully and no dead sticks yet. i was just expecting a bit more power. any suggestions anybody? will i just have to get the .82 or can a try some different props/ fuel/ tuning to get a bit more power?

by the way, i picked up my edge directly from winner rc (i'm in socal). they are very nice there. you should try calling them if they're not responding to emails. i'm 99% sure the models are made in china, but you cant really tell from the quality. i'm overall very happy. the only small problem i had was that one of the ailerons came warped. i called them and they sent me another one right away.

brian
Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

If you seem to be having trouble with the "pull" of the plane and you are getting only 9000 RPMs I would suspect you have too much pitch on your prop. Try the 14x4 Wide and see if you can get those RPMs up around 11,000 or so.

Horizon Hobby claims on their website: "In the 7-1/2-pound Super Stick, the .72 gives unlimited vertical performance. Handling, starting, idle, and transition are excellent, just what we've come to expect with Saito engines."[X(][X(][X(]

How much does your Edge weigh? Do you have an excessive amount of lead in the plane? Both of my .40 sized Edges have come out at 6.0 pounds with 2350mah two cell lithium-ion battery and regulator, standard sized servos, standard sized RX and the YS .63 4-stroke.

The YS 63 4-stroke turns 11,500 RPMs with the 13x4W prop on 20% nitro, 20% fully synthetic oil. It is really too bad if they are going to quit making the 13x4W...I guess I'll have to try the 14x4W next, but that is going to load my engine an little more than I like.

Keep us posted...the good weather is finally here in N. Cal. [8D]
Old 04-20-2006, 10:17 AM
boosted180

my plane weighs just a hair under 6lbs (5.9). actually everyone i've spoken to who've had experience with this engine has told me that you wont get any more than 9,500 rpm. even according to that saito website (http://www.saito-engines.info/), this engine runs best at 9000-9500rpm. but this seems to be less than what the instructions state for this engine (which is 10-11K). well i'll switch to the 14x4 and see if i get any improvements. btw, the price jumps from $5.95 for the 13x6 through 13x8 to $12.95 for the 14x4!
it's also still running rich, so hopefully i can lean it out a bit more as it's more broken in.

btw, flyintiger: what brand spinner are you using. i'm using a dubro plastic spinner but i want to replace it with an aluminum one. i dont want to spend that much, and i dont want to have to modify it to get it to fit the 14x4 prop. it seems like every spinner i've ever had, i've had to modify it to fit my props (the "openings" in the cones for the blades are just not wide enough).
Old 04-21-2006, 04:24 AM
pedro_guim

Hi

I just got my new Saito 82a... but, someone told me that there is a vibration problem with this engine.. is this true?
how can I solve it?

Thanks
Best Regards
Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 PM
FlyinTiger

Just a reminder, if you don't see the item you have a specific question about in my aircraft specifications in the review, then I probably am not the best person to ask. PM the people that you see talking about these items, go to the radio, engine, etc. forum, you'll get better results that way.

Please stick to questions about the specific items that I reviewed...here's a reminder:

Plane: Pacific Aeromodels Edge 540T 40/70

Engine: YS 63 S 4-stroke

Propeller: APC 13x4 Wide

Radio: JR 6102 or JR 9303 and JR R770 PCM RX

Servos: DS 811s on the elevator halves, JR 537s everywhere else

Battery: TBM 2350mAh Lithium-Ion 2 cell battery, Duralite 6.0V failsafe-regulated switch

Landing Gear: Graphtech Carbon Fiber H9 Funtana .40 main landing gear, Sullivan Tailwheel

Thanks everyone for understanding...you've seen those forums that are chaos and the information is too hard to find to do anyone any good...

Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
FlyinTiger

boosted180:

If you want an inexpensive spinner that is cut for the wider props there are a couple you can try. I am using a 2-1/2" Tru-Turn Standard spinner with "Menz cut" cutouts, it is probably the most expensive, but I've had nothing but good experiences with Tru-Turn spinners. It comes with the lager cutouts from Tru-Turn.

The only "less expensive" spinner I know about is the Dave Brown brand 2-1/2" standard aluminum spinner...$21.99 from Tower, they have the "Ultimate" shape for $28.99, check on whether the cutouts are premodified...

You'll have to do a search to find who sells them and if they sell them with wide-prop cutouts; you'll probably find a few options you hadn't yet considered.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:11 AM
rickyrocket

Ordered the Edge in white from winnerrc for $200. Ordered it with scheme by accident and left a message on their phone as they were closed. Was called back the following day confirming change order to white.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:24 PM
FlyinTiger

Rickyrocket: I was going to PM you but I think more people can benefit from me posting this on the forum itself:

Please try to make each post on RCU meaningful. A user product review should include as much useful information as possible.

Next time post:

1. That you ordered the Edge 540T 40/70 in white
2. The cost of the ARF since it is probably different from the other color schemes
3. Why you chose white
4. How quickly you expect your plane to be shipped

With those details your post becomes useful to other people and not just a brag-line about what plane you're getting next.

Please understand that I'm just providing CONSTRUCTIVE criticism where it is due.[8D]

Sincerely,

FlyinTiger
Old 04-23-2006, 11:26 PM
boosted180

i was out flying again last thursday (second time with the saito .72) and the engine was pulling significantly stronger. i leaned out the bottom end a bit more since i was having problems transitioning to full (a lot of hesitation), and i also leaned out the top a few clicks. my tach read 9100 rpm (9400 was the max static). i think it's a combination of leaning things out a bit more and the engine getting more broken in that gave it quite a bit more power. i now can hover at about 70% throttle and pull out is pretty respectable (i would still prefer a little more power, but i'm overall satisfied).

i'm very happy with this plane and am satisfied with the egine (although if i had to do it all over again, i'd still get the .82 instead). i started flying electric 2 years ago and got into nitro since about last year and this is definitely the best flying plane i've ever owned! i'm going flying again tomorrow morning. i've moved the cg back to about 2.5" from the l.e. and mixed in some opposite aileron with rudder to help reduce some the coupling during knife edge. i've also added just a tad bit more down thrust. hopefully that will be all the trimming i'll need to do.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 AM
FlyinTiger

Be aware that you'll be significantly NOSE HEAVY if you have your CG all the way up at 2.5" back from the leading edge. My CG is set at 3.25" from the leading edge and it still noses over slightly while on a 45 degree upline (the test to see if the plane is nose or tail heavy).

Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM
theradioflyer

Hey everyone, I've read through the thread and have concluded that I have purchased everything properly. Tonight I set all of the control surfaces and realized how minimal the elevator and aileron throws where, ( with the Funtana they were much more !). I will be putting the batt just a bit further back since I went with the 3" CG. Has anyone nailed the 3D CG for this plane or should this plane be flown at a more stable state? Are the recommended rates enough even with expo. I love pushing the limits but this is far to beautiful plane to push to hard so I would appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 04-25-2006, 08:44 PM
FlyinTiger

You will notice when you fly the plane that the recommended throws are more than enough. You'll have to tone the plane down with low rates or LOTS of expo for smooth landings, rolling circles and other precise maneuvers.

Fly the plane with the CG at 3" aft of the leading edge, then adjust from there in small increments until you have a CG that YOU like to fly at. Also, before you're first flight, if you have dual rates or flight modes, do yourself a favor and have a lower rate mode or setting (at least for elevator) already set up in the radio.

I recommend starting with HALF the recommended throw on the elevator for a backup...just in case the throws you have are a little much to start with. You'll notice that the elevator gets more and more sensitive when you move the CG aft, so as you near verge of "tailheavy" zone for radical 3D you'll see how evective the pitch and yaw controls really are.

Good luck and happy flying!

P.S. Remember, if you went with the YS, your first few flights will be much shorter than you think due to the rich setting on the engine...it will suck that tank DRY in no time at all. Fly a series of 6 minute flights, let the engine cool while you check how much fuel you have left and fuel up again.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
theradioflyer

Thanks FlyinTiger, I have the Saito .82. Right now I'm at 3" so I'll leave it there for now. It's good to know that the elevator is that sensitive so I'll put some expo on the low rate too. Thanks for the help and I'll update after the maiden.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:30 PM
AbuAnas

I sent an email to modellex.de which is the one sell PAM Edge in Europe. I got their mails from PAM. But till now they didn't answer back!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:55 PM
FlyinTiger

Well, your distributors failure to return your call from EUROPE has nothing to do with the way the plane flies, or what equipment to use in this aircraft, so please don't comment on things completely IRRELEVANT to my review.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 PM
FlyinTiger

My Edge is flying great! I haven't put many flights on it since I went up in size and started burning gasoline. I love the sound of that YS four-stroke though. This plane is now for sale...as much as I would like to keep it, I don't have room for all of my "family," so it is time to share.

Go check the RCU Ads for my Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540T...you'll love the way it flies and mine is one of only a few with the carbon fiber landing gear modification!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32665.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	633128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24068.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	633129  
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 AM
FlyinTiger

More pics of this great little 59" wingspan Edge!

[8D]

Take notice of the sweet carbon fiber landing gear...that is the best invesment I've made on this plane. A little added ground clearance for that 13x4W prop is nice, and it doesn't deform from normal landings like the stock gear does.

The fuel dots, one for filling the other a vent, are nice.

Ailerons have JR 537 servos on them and are working great, while the rudder and elevators have JR DS 811 digital servos for precise centering and good holding power. The elevators are very effective and just a little movement could make the plane out of trim, so it is nice to have them always return to the same spot for neutral.

Pull-pull on the rudder is driven by Kevlar to prevent any radio interference due to their long "antenna like" shape. The Kevlar doesn't stretch or shrink with temperature changes and is plenty strong!

This plane has been performing flawlessly and I still highly recommend it to anyone looking for a locked in aerobatic winner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53388.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	635446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96678.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	635447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80897.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	635448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36105.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	635449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34084.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	635450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94750.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	635451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24383.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	635452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58101.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	635453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32985.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	635454  
Old 11-11-2007, 05:44 PM
rickyrocket

ORIGINAL: FlyinTiger

Well, your distributors failure to return your call from EUROPE has nothing to do with the way the plane flies, or what equipment to use in this aircraft, so please don't comment on things completely IRRELEVANT to my review.

Thank you.
Well that post seems to have shut this thread down.
Abuanas' comment may well help people who are thinking of dealing with Modellex. Not everybody lives in the states.

Finallly pulling mine out of the closet and getting her together. Will be converting her to electric with a Torque 4014 and 5s packs which should yield 1400 watts.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:17 AM
FlyinTiger

No worries. It looks like the .40 version of this plane is no longer on the Winner RC website, it might be discontinued.

I sold mine to a gentleman in Florida and it is still flying well. I hope everyone is having as much fun with theirs as I did with mine. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM
RICMOD5634

Winner RC has discontinued the 40/70 Edge. I might have gotten the last one. They called and said they had one with a damaged Fuse. I could have at a discount. Four stringers broke behind wing sadle. Easy fix.
Saito 82a winging 14x4w at about 9000rpm. Take off at half throttle, flies beautifully and lands on rail. Once you set it in glide path it sinks right in at just above idel. Love this bird.
Also found a second one for sale here NIB, whick is still NIB for I haven't built it yet.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 AM
WhirlyGirl
My Feedback: (34)

Man, I love this plane! I am sorry to see that others can't enjoy it. You have to look at the price though, you can buy a Funtana 100 for the same price...that makes it a little tough to spend the $219 on a .40 sized plane. It was top of the line back in 2005, but now there are so many othes to choose from!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:45 AM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

I have the 60 sized Pacifc Aeromodels Edge and it is the best plane I have flown out of about 25 that I have owned. It does every spin in the book and hovers and torque rolls with ease. It doesn't harrier that well due to the wing loading but will tumble with the best of them. Actually, it 3D's much better than a Funtanta 40 but that's not hard to do. It does a killer knife edge spin and blenders are great too.

It is really too bad they aren't making them any more. I was hoping they would do a little redesign and release it again. I think this plane could be a 3d monster with a little bigger elevator and more wing area. Anyways, it's ballistic with an OS 120 AX.