Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Slimline Showtime Pro Smoke System

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Slimline Showtime Pro Smoke System

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:32 PM
flynandfixnrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slimline Showtime Pro Smoke System

I just want to give the RC hobbiests the heads up to spend your hard earned money to a product manufacturer with your best interest in mind. This stuff is not essential to our being, in most cases at least, however we take great pride in our models and hobby in general. I built a Decathlon basicly around the new Slimline Showtime Pro Smoke System with Muffler and all. Hats off to the marketing department. They sold me a "top of the line" expensive sytem. This was December 2004. The muffler was on back order for the YS 110 3 months with promises. The pump was ordered in the first part of the year thru Tower Hobbies, a reputable vendor. Again back order for 3 more months. Finally the product arrived and I can now build my project. Completed in June and now the fun begins with trial and error on adjusting the smoke. First it was intermittent, then got progressively worse. The smoke itself was very impressive. The smoke muffler internal coil loosened and fell apart tearing up the "O" ring seals. OK. Inquired and replaced seals at no charge. The muffler almost fell off the airplane on the second flight. OK, maybe my fault for insufficient lock tite. However, the flight ended by landing with a 24 Oz. tank full of smoke oil because the pump didn't feel like working. Now I'm starting to wonder if this system is going to cost me an airplane. One thing is to take off heavy, but to land heavy is tough on the gear. I sent the pump back to Slimline. They replied in the statement, they were waiting for a new batch of pumps. Obviously a problem with the other pumps. Oh, Good! I'm going to get the latests and greatest in development. I waited another 2 months. I pain stakingly installed this new pump figuring my problems are finally over.(1 1/2 hours installation) I set it up to test and run for a while to return to the gallon jug of Dri Smoke oil. It was hesistant a few times during the 45 minute on/off period. At last, I was satisfied the system was going to work. The weather forecast was unfavorable for the week. Finally, a final test before heading to the field. You're not going to believe this. The pump would not work, not a little, zip, na-ata, nothing. I checked the batteries, I checked everything, added a couple of calibrated taps to the housing. It's over! The flying season coming to an end. That's it for Slimline. A bunch of money and time out the window. I'll invest in another pump sometime down the road, but I can assure you, it's not going to be a Slimline Product. This has been the better part of 10 months. I'm done....
Old 10-09-2005, 04:19 PM
nickj

Default RE: Slimline Showtime Pro Smoke System

I was just reading the Slimline ad for this product when I saw this post. I always thought a smoke system would be cool, but the instruction manual for the pump makes it seem like a real chore to set up. I guess if smoke was easy, you'd see a lot more smokers out there. In more than five years of flying (most of those many years ago), I've seen exactly one smoke system on a plane. The guy was constantly fiddling with it, and it didn't produce any more smoke than an extra-rich 4-stroke on 20% castor. Hardly seems worth it.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:58 PM
flynandfixnrick

A smoke system can prove to be an interesting accessory to your plane. It does require a lot of thought regarding your installation only because the smoke oil tank has to be right on the C.G. With that in mind, you would have to make your choice of aircraft and size of aircraft before any other decisions are made such as engines,etc. That's why I had started the thought process around the Slimline smoke system. They make a terrific smoke muffler, they deserve credit here, when it's available for purchase. The pump system was adjustable so wasting oil was not a problem and most importantly was the variable programing of pump volume, you set up, in reference to your engine's RPM. Couple all that with an on/off switch for operation. The question is how to deal with the weight penalty and the possibility the pump won't pump the fluid out of the tank. My Decathlon has a 17 OZ. glow fuel tank. The smoke tank has a capacity of 24 ozs. That's 41 Ozs. of weight or close to it that you want to get rid of before landing. That's why I get rattled when the pump is unreliable. I don't want to crash or damage an airplane over an accessory item. If you can make a dependable leak free system. Great! Use it and have a blast. But, the words DEPENDABLE and LEAK FREE are the majic words. Did I mention the minor detail regarding the installation diagram of the pump plumbing is wrong. The two lines attaching to the pump have to be reversed. You won't find out that little detail anywhere until you've completed your installion buried deep into the fuselage.

Just my thought.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
nickj

A big Decathlon with smoke would be very cool. Like maybe the Dynaflite kit. I hadn't thought about choosing the plane around a smoke system, but it makes sense. I'd still like to try that someday. In any case, best of luck with your installation.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:09 AM
RC Funster

I bought a Slimline Programmable Smoke Pump from Slimline at the Toldeo Expo in 2007. To date I haven't used the pump and now am considering installing it in an Aeroworks Sport Cub S2. I thought I'd do some research on the pump and found this thread. Now I have doubts about configuring the model for this system. Are there any updates from you guys about any improvements to the pump - especially the year I bought the pump?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:05 PM
CRUZN
My Feedback: (5)

I have seen a Smoke Tank Siamesed to a Gas Tank in some magazine or web site. This tank will fit in place of the original tank totally eliminating the second tank used to hold Your smoke oil. I can't seem to locate this tank. Does anyone have any Idea where I can find the Tank I am talking about. It has been in one of the latest magazines or is on one website selling RC stuff. HELP!!!....Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:14 AM
ortmayerm
My Feedback: (3)

If your still thinking useing  a smoke system look into TME, its a nice system.
                                                     http://tmenet.com/

Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM
heggen

A simple solution to reliable smoke for me is a B&B Specialties smoke pump and a DuBro shut off valve, the little red plastic one. B&B also sells a shut off valve which I believe allows flow adjustment. The pump runs off the crankcase pressure. The carb reed block is drilled and tapped for a nipple to connect the hose to the pump to make the pump work. I found it important to keep the line from the carb reed block to the pump as short as possible. A long line seems to effectively increase the volume in the crankcase affecting engine performance. My pressure line is about 1 1/2" long and the pump is clamped to the engine standoffs with home-made mounting clamps. Lines are run from the tank to the pump and then to the shut off valve just before the muffler. When the smoke switch on the transmitter is flipped, smoke is on in about a second and the same for smoke off. I am running this on a DLE 55 with stock muffler and Super Dri smoke oil and couldn't be happier with this particular set up. Real simple and inexpensive. Worked the first time and every time.