Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Sig FieldBoss Field Box

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:50 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig FieldBoss Field Box

I received the Sig FieldBoss kit about 2 years ago for a Christmas present. Among all my other projects, I managed to put this one together as it was time for a new field box. I did not intend to do a review on it so I did not take any step-by-step photos. However, this is a pretty straight forward project and does not require a lot of complicated steps. It did turn out very nice and I thought I could share my building experience.

The kit is very complete with very good instructions. All the wood pieces are laser-cut and fit together very nice. First, I used my palm sander to remove all the dark edges from the laser cutting. In some of the tighter spots, holes and notches, I used adhesive sand paper and 1/4" X 1/4" and 1/4" X 3/8" wood pieces to clean the dark spots. Then I sanded all surfaces lightly to prepare for assembly.

Once that was done, I slipped it all together to see how it looked. This is also a good time to figure where to run the wiring for the electric fuel pump. I looked it over and decided the wiring would go along the bottom just inside and behind the front panel and under the bottom drawer. I cut about a 1/4" angle from the bottom front corner of the 2 main side supports (the ones the large dowel goes in as a handle) so I could slide the wires through. don't forget to do the same cut on the 1/2" X 1/2" hard wood bottom drawer supports also to line up with these openings.

Now following the instructions, I started assembling the box over the next few evenings. I just took my time and thought out each step, always thinking ahead about where certain equipment and tools would go. When I finished the complete assembly to include the drawers, I filled all gaps near tabs and anything else with balsa colored filler. I let is set for 2 days to be sure all glues and fillers were dry.

Now the sanding. I sanded the entire box and drawers with my palm sander and 220 grit sandpaper. I liked the looks of the nice quality wood and wanted to use a stain rather than paint. I used an antique walnut stain and topcoated it with 3 coats of urethane varnish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37786_8006.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	23699  
Old 11-27-2002, 08:55 AM
GIJon

Default More on Sig FieldBoss

This photo shows the drawers open. I lined the drawers and top center tray with dark brown felt. This keeps the tools and equipment from sliding around. It also helps protect the tools and equipment from each other and stops rattling. And finally, protects the field box from getting all banged up. It also looks very nice.

Name:	37787_8006.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	23700  
Old 11-27-2002, 09:02 AM
GIJon

This photo shows the fueling end. As you can see, I mounted the Sonic-Tronics Glow Fuel Pump and New Sonic-Tronics Nifty Gasoline Pump on this end. It is now set up for glow fuel operation. The fuel compartment accommodates both 1 gallon jugs or 1 gallon cans. I have a nice one gallon can for gas all set up to switch out for gasoline operation.

Name:	37788_8006.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	23701  
Old 11-27-2002, 09:20 AM
GIJon

And finally, this end is the power end. It houses a standard 12 volt 7 Ah starter battery. One thing I found to be a pain in the whole experience is trying to get the battery to go in the compartment. The compartment is just large enough with little play. The 2 balsa support rails that were glued in to hold the battery compartment cover in place will not allow the battery to go down inside no matter what angle you try. I had to cut out one of the balsa rails out and then glued it back in place once the battery was in the bottom. It is not a huge deal, but when it comes time to change the battery, it will be the same hassle. You may want to think about making one or both rails removable.

I have equipped the field box with one of the new "Everything But the Kitchen Sink" power panels from Cermark. This thing is awesome. It not only controls the fuel pump and has the terminals for the starter, but a lot more. It has a built-in glow igniter charger, a digital voltmeter with 500 mAh load and a field charger for tx and rx. I think it will microwave your lunch also, as soon as I can figure it out.

This is my Sig FieldBoss and it is very nice. It has a lot of space and can be well organized easily. It is a little heavier than other standard type boxes but when equipped properly, balances quite nicely. I highly recommend it as your next field box. I will keep this one for many years to come.

Thank you for letting me share my building experience and thanks to Sig Manufacturing and RC Universe.

Jon Wilson
Ryde, California

Name:	37789_8006.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	23702  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:23 PM
ppkk

Default RE: More on Sig FieldBoss

A few years later... do you still like your field box? I was thinking of getting the same thing.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
GIJon

ppkk,

Yes, I really like it. It still looks like it did 3 years ago. The only drawback to this field box as you would know is when you fill it up with all your goodies...it's almost a 2 man lift. I don't think I would trade it for another choice...well maybe when I'm 90.

Jon
Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
ppkk

Well, this is exactly my problem basis what I have read. I really like the fact that one box can carry everything I need, but if it breaks your back in the process that's not going to help much.

I like the look of the SIG boxes so my other option was the Mini Fieldboss. The dimensions for this smaller version aren't posted on the SIG website so I need to do some research to see if it could be a good compromise.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Sig FieldBoss Field Box

I really like my Field Boss also, except for one thing... it's HEAVY. But still, 2 thumbs up!! 6 years old and still going strong.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:33 AM
cotton11

Nothing flimsy about the Field Boss. Nice wood, nice laser cutting. Several coats of polyurethane bring out the grain in a yellow/gold color - nice.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM
xlr82v2
My Feedback: (1)

I agree!! I almost wish they would have made it out of 1/8" ply instead of the 1/4".... I think it still would have been plenty strong... and half the weight.

I did mine the same way... I think I've got about 5 coats of clear polyurethane on mine. Looks nice.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

I've had my field box now for over 4 years and as someone said earlier, I filled it to the brim and it weighs a ton but it holds plenty and has held together perfectly, unlike some previously owned smaller wooden field boxes. I don't know if you can still get one from SIG these days.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one assembled never used and I am going to sale it