Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

"Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

"Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer

Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
mvaccaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer

Here is the review of: "Watt's Up" RC Watt Meter & Power Analyzer WU100 Version 2
Product link: http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1514

Price: $$59.95 from All-Battery.com
Overall: Excellent product.
Shipping: USPS. Fast, aprox. 3 business days

The Watts up wattmeter and DC ammeter is an in-flight data monitoring device designed to provide the user with a lot of information regarding their power systems vital statistics. The device records the highest values of certain key parameters and the average values.
The unit itself weighs 2.3 ounces and is 2.8 x 1.7 x 0.83 inches in size.
The Watts up DC Ammeter is very simple in terms of how it is connected into the power system. The lithium pack connects to the wires labeled as source and the speed controller connects to the wires labeled as load. Upon connection to a battery the Watts up ammeter immediately starts monitoring the power system after going through it's very short initialisation. The device displays at all times a real-time view of the amps volts and Watts currently being consumed by the power system. In the bottom left of the display the device cycles through various monitored or calculated values. These values are minimum volts, watt hours, amp hours, peak watts and peak amps. The cycle time on the display of these values is two seconds.
The unit has a very clear and easily readable liquid crystal display which is on at all times whilst the ammeter is connected to a power supply.
The full specification for the DC ammeter is as follows:
0-100A, resolution 0.01A
0-60V, res. 0.01V
0-6000W, res. 0.1W
0-65Ah, res. 0.01Ah
0-6500Wh, res 0.1Wh
The ammeter has a very low resistance (0.001 Ohm) and the circuitry only draws 0.007A, this means the ammeter has no more affect on the power system than an ordinary piece of wire.

Conclusion
The 'Watt's Up' Watt Meter and DC ammeter is a straight forward in flight data monitor. It is designed for use at the field giving immediate feedback on flight performance using it's nice large LCD display. It monitors all the important functions of the power system providing both real time, peak and accumulated values. It does this simply, clearly and is by far the easiest device I have used for flight time monitoring.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14371.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	977423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48808.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	977424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58305.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	977425  
Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
jsmith285

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

I used mine about 3 times and the display went all chinese. So I called to get an RMA and return it. They said I hooked it up wrong and blew it up, so no RMA. I had to argue with them
that I had used it like the manual said to, but it just stopped working. They told me to call Tower and send it back to them. Called Tower and they said to return it to the manufacturer.
Called the Watts guys back up, took about 5 emails and phone calls (not pleasant ones) to convince them to let me send it back to them. I must say that I was not happy with the customer service I received from them at all (seemed like I wasnt smart enough to plug it in?) its a meter, come on how difficult could it be.
They told me they will check it out, and if they find that I blew it up then SOL. Finally got an RMA to send it back to them at my expense. After a few weeks I received another one in the mail. Said the display was defective and I didnt cause the meter to go bad (no apology either). I bought an Eflight watt meter in the mean time (really like it), now I'm afraid to use the Watts up meter.
I'm not flaming them or anything like that, I understand there are Thousands of satisfied users of the Watts up meter(anyway thats what the service guy told me).

I am an electrical engineer and not a newbie. I am just describing what I had to go thru to get the meter replaced under the warrantee period. Not complaining about the meter either, just the lack of customer service and an in your face attitude with the customer. Just hope yours keeps working for you. My watts up meter is now my back up for my Eflight meter, I'm guessing I wont be using the Watts up anymore.