Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Power HD HD-1440A 4.4g servos

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM
jowens1972
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power HD HD-1440A 4.4g servos

I’m having great success with the HD-4110A servos. I have purchased 58 of these servos to be used in 30” depron foamies. If you purchased your servos more than 9 months ago I would encourage you to try them again. The pot has been upgraded and centering is no longer an issue. Prior to this upgrade the servos were hit and miss.

It is important to test the servos prior to installation since trim response varies from servo to servo (one negative of the servo). When I purchase a batch of servos I connect all of them to a receiver and exercise them for a while. They typically have a very slight jitter when first used. Once this is done I connect a servo to the aileron channel and then center the trim tab on my Futaba 9CAPS transmitter. I then put the control horn on the servo so that is as close to center as possible so I have a reference point. I then start pushing the trim button and watch the servo response. The average with all the servos I have purchased is 2 clicks before a servo responds. I do this to both extremes of the trim movement. In the last batch of four I purchased I had one servo that was 1 to 1, one servo 2 to 1 and two servos 3 to 1. I then mark the servos with these numbers. I then watch how much the servo moved in response to the trim. The response is usually proportional to the trim input numbers. In this batch of four the response was proportional to trim input (pushing the trim three times caused no movement until the third push and the servo arm would then move the three clicks). I am NOT saying the servo jumps, I am comparing it to the best servo in the bunch with a 1:1. My approach with these servos is to use the 1:1 servos on Aileron 2:1 on Elevator and 3:1 on rudder. I have the rudder throws very high and I sometimes have to remove the servo and replace it with another so I order one extra servo. The four ordered were excellent quality for a servo this size and weight.

With these same servos I repeated the test using a Futaba Skysport6 transmitter. This transmitter has analog trims so it is a little more difficult to test since the CAPS beeps on each trim input. The test results were confirmed. Receivers used for testing:
Corona RS4II and RS6II, Futaba FP-R127DF, Futaba R149DP (PCM 5.4 volts), all others 5 volts.

I fly these foamies (175g RTF) very hard (blenders, knife edge loop, flat spins, walls, rolling circles) and have had no servo failures of any kind.

Some may ask why I am so focused on the trim response? My control surface movements are VERY high so centering and trimming to center makes flying much easier. I have found that the servo test results are consistent even after 50+ flights.

The servo lead is light but sturdy 32 gauge wire and is 15.3 cm from the exit of the servo to the end of the universal connector.

I’ve included pictures of the airplane to show how important the servo centering is with the large control surfaces.

Jim Owens
Rochester, MN
Troy Built Models sponsored pilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36233.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1029395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78904.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1029396   Click image for larger version