Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

PICA F-82 Twin Mustang 1/12th scale

Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

PICA F-82 Twin Mustang 1/12th scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 04:33 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PICA F-82 Twin Mustang 1/12th scale

RC-24 Twin-Mustang F-82
Reviewed by; Donald Murphy, Frankfort, KY USA

Specifications
-------------------
* Engines: .10 to .21 2 stroke
* Radio: 4 channel w/ 4 mini/micro servos
* Wingspan: 51 in.
* Wing Area: 373 sq. in.
* Wing Chord: 9.2 inches
* Wing Loading: 16 oz/sq ft
* Fuselage length: 37.2 inches
* Stab Span: 14.5 inches
* Stab Area: 48 sq. in

* Engines Used: Enya .19 w/strap on mufflers
* Radio Used: Futaba 6XaS w/ 6 mini/micro servos

Introduction:
“Using creative CAD designing, the 1/12 scale Twin-Mustang with an Eppler 203 airfoil and complying with the 2105 rules makes it an ideal combat fighter and/or an ideal just fly it around for fun model. Its laser cut saddles and mounting holes squares the wing to the fuselage and gives you factory set incidence. Similarly the stabilizer and vertical fin slide into laser cut tabs & notches for perfect alignment. All fuselage sheeting are ‘tab & notched’ with the formers giving you the builder a structure that is straight, strong and very light weight. PICA’s ‘Laser Lock’ kits will put you into the laser building world, leaving behind the slow measuring, fitting, continual aligning and all the intensive construction techniques that you must acquire. Quick building time, with wing loading at 16 oz/sq.ft. makes it quick on a pair of .10's or .15's, and scream with [2] .21's. These are just a few features of the PICA ‘LASER LOCK’ kits that will allow you to build, and ultimately fly a great scale warbird.”

BUILDING
The kit was very well laid out and very neat although when all parts where brought out of box for inventory, you won’t stand a chance on getting it all back into the box and closed. Kit contents seem to ‘overflow’ the box. The kit comes with enough wood to build the three wing sections as well as the two fuselages. All parts have been laser cut and were in excellent condition.
Construction begins with the middle wing and moves out through the fuses into the outer wing panels. The center wing is easily built on a flat piece of ceiling tile. Each piece that was added seemed to just ‘pull’ all other pieces together. ** DO NOT REMOVE INTERLOCKING PIECES FROM EDGES OF CENTER WING **. The tail feathers are very simple to assemble, 1/8” balsa pieces held together and glued. The feathers are to be attached to the moveable pieces using the ‘monokote hinge’ technique, which is described completely in the instructions. Next in construction is to build the two fuselages. They are a simple box shape and go together easily thanks to the laser cut parts. ** MAKE SURE TO BUILD A LEFT & RIGHT FUSE **. After the fuselages are built you assemble them with the center wing section to adjust the fit. Before gluing the center wing to the fuses, you will have to attach the horizontal stabilizer and make sure everything is straight then you can glue. The outside wing panels are easily assembled; just make sure to read all instructions before gluing or cutting anything. Each outer wing panel contains it’s own servo. Watch servo height because it is a real dooozy trying to attach said wings to the fuse without damaging them. After all of the building is completed I covered the model in Platinum Monokote. The cowling and the exhaust (2 versions supplied) should be assembled; cut to fit engines, and then painted. They give three different ways that you can have the canopy attached to the fuselages, I choose to paint then glue to the monokote using RC-56 white canopy glue. Make sure you check your balance and set controls up like plans describe.

FLYING
I used the throws that were given by the manufacturer with much success. At the field I ran the engines separate to ensure that each one was running correctly then started both. After a few twists of the needle valve the Twin felt as if it ‘had’ to take off immediately, so that’s what I did (after range check of course). I sat it down on the runway and had a friend hold it while I ran engines up to about ¾ throttle. I motioned for the release and off the Twin went. It was very majestic looking coming off of the ground. It does carry quit a bit of power behind it so I really didn’t worry about stalling the machine. IT flew very well and was stable enough to try some quick spins and then come in for an uneventful landing.

Conclusion
I was very happy with this kit and would suggest it to any INTERMEDIATE builder/flyer for a project. You can tell that PICA really put allot of time and effort on this kit and its components. I spent extra money on the mini/micro servos but it was very much worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6376_1475.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	4647