Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

MY first NITRO LOSI 8ight-t RTR

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

MY first NITRO LOSI 8ight-t RTR

Old 05-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Elderchild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY first NITRO LOSI 8ight-t RTR

Well, I have had my Losi 8ight-t RTR for almost 2 months now. It has been quite a fun experience for the get go. Being a n00b in the field, there has been a pretty steep learning curve from the start. I decided to purchase an RTR kit because it pretty much had everything needed to get me going. The only thing I purchased was a charger (40 bucks), a stick pack for the spin start (10 bucks), fuel (20 bucks), and a rechargeable glow plug (18 bucks). I purchased the Losi 8ight-t RTR new off ebay for around 500 bucks. Quite a deal. When my truck first came it had a broken brake cam, had to take it the hobby shop for the 5 dollar part. Had no idea how to fix it. Luckily, a fellow Losi fan was at the shop and installed the part for me at the hobby shop! I just purchased a 10 part for him ( the reason why he was at the shop). Had trouble starting the truck. The instructions were a little vague for me on how to use the spin start and glow plug. Went on Youtube and watched a couple of clips and that pretty much cleared it up for me. Ran the truggie at a local community college with a couple of buddies. It was a really awesome experience. My friends and I were amazed at the speed and handling of this RC. Now all my buddies are buying kits and acting like they always were into the sport! LOL. After the first night of running checked over my Losi. There were various pieces and bolts that had come loose from a couple tanks of running. Had to use threadlock on the engine screws, and other chassis pieces. Also, the brake linkage screws had come undone. Used threadlock on these pieces. No big deal. After a couple more runs, I noticed the servos were not responding as well. Then finally, the throttle servo totally died on me. The gears inside must have fused together or something, because it would not turn anymore. Replaced that with a Hitec servo, and replaced the throttle servo also with a Hitec. Also purchased a new receiver battery at the time. After a couple more runs I busted the battery tray. I run mostly on concrete and grass. Hitting concrete is a bad thing. Broke the front bumper, and bent the rear drive shaft and lost the back arm. Purchased new parts and it helped me learn how to dissamble the rear drive shaft. I did notice one thing about the Losi battery tray. If you do not use the foam inserts inside the battery tray it leads to broken battery cases. The plastic piece where body clips snap on often break after big jumps if the receiver battery is loose inside the battery box. I wish Losi would make a aluminum radio/battery tray for the truggies. I have already broken 2 of them just playing around with my truck. Another issue for was the Mach engine. It runs fine. However, the parts in the back started to wear out from using the spin start. The friction plate, or whatever it is begins to loosen up and the spin start does not get a good connection. Had to break down the engine and replace the back plate parts. It was only 15 bucks so I am not really complaining. After owning my Losi truggie for a couple of weeks now, the overall purchase was very satisfying. People who say you cannot bash with truggies are wrong! I do big jumps with no really damage yet. Waiting for the new Losi 8ight-t 2.0 rtr to come out. That will be my next purchase. Losi has done a great job with this kit. Would highly recommend this product for anyone who wants to jump into the hobby, and wants a RTR that is fun right out of the box.