Community
Search
Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Guanli brushless catalina

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guanli brushless catalina

Hey anyone who has Guanli brushless catalina here are a few notes I have about my build & flights. first I would REALLY recomend every one to remove and lock tight the 2 grub screws that hold the motors to thier mounts(purple in my arf), one came loose my second flight and twistted the wires badly, worse caused damage to the engine nacell, and replacemet parts are as yet not avaiable.
Also I would recomend renforceig the pylon which is the wing mount, 4th flight on landing, the mount cracked (@ the top just under the wood plate) and this caused the whole wing t tilt forward which cewed into my fuse @ the mid of the nose hatch section. I am thinking of tissue paper with a white glue brushing maybe, or a diluted epoxy (anyone know how to do that?)
My batterys are fron china (WinForce brand) 2200 mAh lipos, they only last about 4-5 minutes @ approx 3/4 power, but other than those issues, a great, stable, smooth flying plane. dosn't climb very agressivy but neither did the real one. havnt landed on water yet, tried a real flyte sim of one and the landings had to be perfect, and under resonable power, or the plane would hook. So I am practising in the park across the street to get really proficient @ greasing her in before my first water attempt. when I can afford to, I plan to get a good quality battery and see if that improves flight times.
My only other thought on thiskit is if You have the money maybe consider buying the brushless arf from Guanli, just for the electronics, to put in a great planes cat, as it is a total rip of the great planes kit. And where do you get 2 motors, 2 30 amp esc's, 4 servos for the price of the Guanli kit.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Guanli brushless catalina

Epoxy can be thinned using isopropyl alcohol. Get the purest you can (usually 90%). Just add it to the mixed epoxy until you get the consistency you want. Use slow dryingepoxy.
Walt
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 AM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5111
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8932

With that combo, Im getting near vertical, and roughly 15-20 minute flights. Cruises at about half throttle with 9x7.5. good combo if your looking to upgrade.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
joneska

Hello I bought the brushless upgraded pagkagewithmy Guanli Catalina...came with a 72MHZ radio and two ESC's.

Question I have is.....the "Y"cable coming from both the ESC assembly and the alerion servos is terminatedin a connector that"won't" mate with the receivers male connectors. I can't complete the assembly. The rudder and elevator servos plug in fine.......no "Y" cable!!!

Also.....no battery for the receiver!!! I take it the receiver is "supposed to have it's own battery?? Or am Imissing something else with thishorrible kit??? Thanks, Ken