RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   User Product Reviews (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/user-product-reviews-193/)
-   -   Nitro Junk (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/user-product-reviews-193/8919842-nitro-junk.html)

ZebraOne 07-09-2009 05:16 PM

Nitro Junk

Very bag experience w/nitro models[>:]

I sincerly hope that the QC is about the same as the Chinese AF as it is for Nitro products.
Then I'm sure that they will lose the war with the US!:eek:

Zebraone
AMA129570

Walt Thyng 07-09-2009 07:38 PM

RE: Nitro Junk

give us details. a blank accusation says more about you than about them!
Walt

ZebraOne 07-10-2009 02:20 AM

My complant stems after building 2(two) of their 55" Ultimates. In both cases the mounting blocks for the interplane struts were in 2 different locations. This made it impossible to join the upper and lower wing in a satisfactory manner! In both cases the response fron Nitro was to tell me to copy the "manual'. It offered nothing in the way of help! The fix, was, of course to cut into one set of wings and install new hardwood blocks. If I was younger, I would have bought a kit and built the thing myself, but, at 82 years, I didn't want to expend what time I had left spending (about 400Hr +) building the thing!
I repeat what I had previously said and will NOT apolligize for the remark!
M Zorger
Msgt Ret USAF
AMA129570

Walt Thyng 07-10-2009 11:06 AM

thanks Sarge; knowing that you are complaining about a specific issue helps. I would be ticked too.
Walt

carrellh 07-10-2009 12:42 PM

Zebra, the planes sold by nitromodels seem to be a mixed bag. Some apparently go together quite well while others are what Minnflyer refers to as "builder's" ARFs. He commented in a review that he could have almost built a kit in the time it took to get the ARF assembled correctly.
Several have multiple comments about being good flying models once they are together.
Almost 100% of the comments about the instructions indicate they are a waste of paper.

Nitromodels does have a support forum on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_456/tt.htm and 'nitrostaff1' is reportedly fairly responsive to issues reported there. Since you already fixed your plane there's not much they can do.

olwarbirds 07-11-2009 06:23 AM

I can now understand ur anger...i myself have had bad dealings with nitro planes, no need to get into details here its all posted on their supposed help forums!!!...in my mind nitro planes/xheli dont care about the individual customer they seem to have gotten the mentality that "oh well plenty of other customers we can screw over yet"......goodluck with ur model

dude7422 07-26-2009 05:05 PM

ZEBRAONE hi i hear you dont make a mistake and order anything from snhobbies
same bad service no worst too many bad web sites

jester_s1 08-02-2009 07:44 AM

Nitromodels is simply a "cheapest price" company. They have their products manufactured as cheaply as possible, run the smallest and least qualified staff as they can get the product out the door with, and likely don't inspect anything. Most units still come out fine because modern manufacturing is so good, but the company accepts that a few units will be junk. If you want a quality product and good service you have to pay for it.

bigmacbkr 09-09-2009 06:44 PM

I bought their .46 size T-34 and it turned into a nightmare. The plane wasn't hard to assemble but I couldn't keep the nose wheel from collapsing every time I landed it! And I made some gentle landings, but hit a bump in the runway or turn it quickly after landing, and bam, down it came. The wing retracts were rock solid. The plane was very scale with rivets and decals all over it and it flew quite well, but the nose retract kept failing. I contacted Nitro via e-mail and sent them a picture of the front nose gear and specified in the e-mail that it was the nose gear that needed replacing. After weeks of waiting they sent me a wing retract! I again contacted them and they said they had no extra parts and weren't sure if they could order any. I subsequently purchased a Hanger 9 retract and couldn't even get it to work satisfactorily. After going through about a half dozen new three bladed props, I salvaged the engine and all the parts and scraped the plane. Needless to say, that was the last Nitro I'll ever purchase, which is too bad because they have some very good looking planes! :(

PLANE JIM 10-08-2009 07:38 PM

I bought one-it was junk and support was a joke as well-same run around that has been mentioned-as far as getting what I paid for-I got ripped off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sessholvlaru 10-25-2009 01:01 AM

I have a "Neocat" pusher jet, 50 size. Same thing as the Nitro Planes Bobcat with a different color scheme. It is of excellent quality and flies awesome. Scorpion power on 6 cells, super fast. No complaints. Also have a "Screamer" pylon plane I got from eBay, also Chinese. Also excellent quality and flies great. As usual, manuals are a joke, but I think that the quality of their ARF's are getting better. Would easily buy another.

hpiguy 01-24-2010 12:29 PM

Never bought from them, but I have been looking at their 91" J-3 Cub.

I'm hoping that even if it shows up with issues, as a modeler I can fix them.

I just can't beat a large scale gas Cub for under $260 shipped. I plan on little to no support from them if it arrives with issues. I think that's the best plan of attack when ordering. You know you are getting something dirt cheap, so it means corners have to be cut.

RAMFlyer 01-24-2010 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have their big cub. Overall excellent quality airframe and cowl. Make sure you check the incidence of the wing versus the horizontal stab. My stab mount needed adjusting to set it to correspond with the wing. No other problems. Used a very old but NIB OS Gemini Twin 120 with on-board glow. Flies great, just like a cub.

I have "built" half a dozen CMP ARFs bought through Nitro or AK-models. CMP has gotten progressively better over the years in building airplanes. Some needed more TLC than others but ALL went together much faster than a kit of the same airplane. ANY ARF deserves to have the firewall joints re-epoxied, the wing and stab incidences compared as they usually aren't zero/zero, and the Center of Gravity carefully checked. Never had one that didn't fly; some more fun than others.

Edited for POOR spelling...

hpiguy 01-24-2010 06:00 PM

VERY nice. Thanks for the input.

alfa66 03-02-2010 11:40 AM

purchased a piper j3 {cheap plane}from nitroplanes, problem with landing gear.Called for hours for help for more than two weeks,recieved emails (HA) after 12:00 last night.Has anyone had contact with this one man band.</p>

Patto 08-17-2010 08:44 AM

Nitroplanes has gotten better in the past couple of years, little by little, from my experience. If you are having an issue, I highly recommend contacting their staff in the support forums here on RCU. I received a cracked canopy in the Cessna 421 I ordered, and they were quick to send a replacement canopy. I ended up wanting to change out to different engines and asked if I could purchase a couple of replacement nacelles, and the only response I received was a box containing two nacelles about two weeks later!

I think that the one guy who is working customer service is way over-worked, but he's trying. Like someone else mentioned, you have a company trying to deliver products as cheaply as possible, so they hire a skeleton staff and that's it, along with some of the cheapest ARF's from China you can find. Some of their airplanes are actually pretty decent, and some not so much.

Just plan on having to fix some things that shouldn't be broken. Better yet, consider everything you buy there as already discounted due to "Scratch and Dent" status!!

edwal07 09-03-2010 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the Ultimate 50cc. I am doing a review on the plane and a DLA56 engine. I am posting on RCUniverse with pictures prior to writing the review. If anyone is interested search the forum for Ultimate 50cc and DLA56 Full Build.
I have noted many problems and good points in the kit, it is made by FlyModel China. Lots of areas to go over and reglue, some triangular stock is only half glued and misshaped. Overall it looks good. I wanted to do an honest review but could not use all the parts they supplied (some were wrong or missing) so I am including updates and suggestions on the build up. I wanted to see the quality of workmanship and materials, do an honest review, and see if I could bring it up what I consider "My Standards" before the Maiden flight. Really close to being done, CG check, battery mounting and engine breakin and we will be flying.

Patto 09-03-2010 10:42 PM

Ed,

I would do the engine break-in in the air, personally. Unless there is something in the instructions that specify a bench break-in, that is really the best thing for air-cooled gas engines, in my opinion. As long as you are not running any one speed for too long, that is.

edwal07 09-04-2010 09:47 AM

I only plan on starting and checking rpms on the ground, and a fine tick or two. The engine has been bench run before I got it. This engine is the first DLA to reach the mainland. I got it from ValleyView RC, Tom and Jody, as they received it from DLA China for evaluation. I have had the motor since Feb.
Just a couple runups, taxi checks and then breakin in the air. I have done this to all my gas engines and works really great, and one point is that they will not truly unload and reach max rpms until they are airborne. So why waste time burning gas and taking a chance of overheating on the ground. You and I are on the same wavelength! Thanks.
Ed

cutaway 09-21-2010 09:26 PM

ARF = (A)lready (R)equires (F)ixing

I've seen very few from any manufacturer in the few hundreds of dollars (or less) range that didn't need some upgrades before I'd consider them durable and airworthy...unless you planned on crashing/selling it 20 or 30 flights of course :D

edwal07 09-22-2010 07:53 PM

Well, if money is no problem for everyone I would agree. Not everyone can afford top of the line "Brand" name models and they increase in price everyday. With the marketing of the "ARF" which allowed for a "Fast Build" quick to the flightline assembly, the craftmanship of the individual modeler went out the window. With that I mean those who would have benefitted from the assembly of a kit, the first time modeler. Mainly because the experience of that first model usually results in satisfaction or disappointment, or staying in the hobby or getting out. That experience would emensely aid in the construction and build of a less than top of the line ARF. Knowing what needs reinforced, braced, or built up to withstand the rigors of todays engines torque and high horsepower output. And most of all the self-satisfaction of seeing something you have built take to the air and perform up to your expectations. That feeling to me is the driving force of this hobby and a true sense of achievement. I do this not only in my hobby but in daily life building and repairing diesel engines, knowing the work I have just completed will go out and perform and last 500,000miles or more. It also builds confidence in ones abilities. I look at it as a challange to take a "cheaper" ARF and bringing it up to "specs" or to my standards. And most of all see it fly and perform along side other models at 2X the price.

Eagledriver2001 01-02-2011 04:26 PM

i just bought the nitro planes edge 540 and found out the canopy was not there, the cowl did'nt fit right, the wheel pants was not there? i called them they said thay would look in to it have not got a Responce i dont know what the deal is hopefully find out soon? juast giving a heads up on this planes Thanks

Fs one 01-03-2011 12:27 PM

I wish you good luck on getting this situation rectified.The problem you can run into this i have several times have had happen to me,parts are damaged etc then they want tocut a deal with you on damaged goods.I am sure there are cases when the shipper knows parts or accessories are damaged or missing.I only order from my local hobby shop now.When it comes in if there is a problem they look after it .Since i have been dealing with lhs i have only had one problem.The problem was manufacturer put the wrong # for the product on the internet.The item at the time was worth 100.00.If i had to send it back i would have to have paid shipping and insurance.This way my lhs ordered the product at no cost to me.

captn conch 01-03-2011 07:30 PM

I recently bought 3 planes from Nitro Planes. The Marathon gasser was delivered with fuse damage and bi lateral wing tip damage from shipping somewhere along the line. UPS took credit for damage and I received another that was a-ok. The large Alien theme Giles 202 arrived great with free shipping from black Friday. The Senorita ep was really damaged so instead of replacement I got a refund since they were out of stock anyway. BTY I got to keep the damaged Seniorita. Bought same plane on ebay for a bit more and it arrived fine.
Gist is this, It took a while to get it all ironed out. I dealt with Melissa via email: [email protected] she is the one who handles the damage etc. Yes it took a month but our correspondence was friendly she was helpful, generally quickly (day or two) answered my emails and the problems got successfully solved. Yes I wanted next day service, but I felt she did well and I'm very happy with Mytwo CMpro planes and you can believe I inspected them carefully and actually I am very impressed with the quality. I have to many planes now, I will not be buying anymore, However I'm a fan of CMP planes, Previously built a 140 P-40 Tiger of theirs that has been a great warbird. These newer designs are much simpler to assemble.I have been patient with the getting problems resolved and am able to give a good review to Nitroplanes.
Cap Conch

Eagledriver2001 01-04-2011 11:26 AM

i want to Thank you for your post responce i hope things work out i love this hobby even though I been flying for over a year Thanks again

Eagledriver2001 01-04-2011 11:30 AM

Thank you Capt for the email info i will give them a try,iReally hope she can help me? all you guys are Great here iam glad iam a member herehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gifthanks for all the help

SunnyFlyer09 02-12-2011 05:27 PM

This is a Chinese firm, they have zero concept of customer service. Al of their people are Chinese and they just don't care about anything other than profit. They are incapable of the customer service concept. Money is number one. They cannot communicate in English. Its the Chinese culture conflicting with American demands. They do not have the capability to understand.

bjcbs 02-21-2011 09:13 AM

I received an EP Senorita with missing parts. After 3 tries on their live chat (available on their website) they sent me the missing parts. With persistence, it can work. Received no response from emails. Customer service is not great, but can be done.

Barry

tjrad001 04-06-2011 03:54 AM

Ihave bought two models from nitro planes one kit and one ARF. The ARF was the airfield Spitfire 800mm. It took 36 grams of weight to get the CG correct this slowed the plane down I'm sure and it flew ok at best. It was still real jumpy and I could never get the trim right and foolishly I tried to fly it in some wind, end of model. It was not enjoyable to fly at all. The other is a P-51D kit they had on sale. This kit does fly decently however as mentioned in an earlier post "you get what you pay for". IMHO these models should be built by the experienced modeler as they don't seem to come out of the box even close to flying properly.If you don't know how to build models and don't have the proper tools especially a CG machine I think your experience with Nitro will be disappointing.

jetdeck 06-24-2012 07:08 AM

hey everyone, i've got 4 nitroplanes models, one is the airfield f4 edf the other f-16 edf from airfield, also have the big f-86 140 sabre, and thesuperfalcon 120, the only issues i have is finding a good 2 stroke for them, otherwise never recieved any damage and any issues with there planes, all went together good no parts issues, id buy other planes from them, yeah you come across some bad ones but any arf you get from anyone, your bound to get a bad one

countilaw 06-24-2012 08:28 PM

So from the information gathered here, the end result is Stay away from NitroModels. Well I have heard that before. What good is it to spend good money on a ARF, if you have to spend time waiting for missing parts to arrive? Replacing damaged parts from shipping? And dealing with a company with no working knowledge of customer service?

Then there are always those that proclaim that they have never had problems, never a missing part, and their customer service is spectacular.

I'll pass and use a more reputable company.

Frank