RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   User Product Reviews (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/user-product-reviews-193/)
-   -   Unionville DeHavilland Beaver kits, 6 and 8 foot winged kits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/user-product-reviews-193/9319907-unionville-dehavilland-beaver-kits-6-8-foot-winged-kits.html)

Kenemby 12-10-2009 06:06 PM

Unionville DeHavilland Beaver kits, 6 and 8 foot winged kits

Unionville DH2 Beaver w/ 6 and /or 8 foot wingspan. I need to see if anyone has experience with either of these kits. I would like to buy one ot the other but wopuld prefer the 8 foot wing. Help!

JimO 12-10-2009 07:46 PM

RE: Unionville DeHavilland Beaver kits, 6 and 8 foot winged kits

1 Attachment(s)
I have built both and currently flying the 6 foot. BOth are stand off scale and some say way off scale. They both build easy with a few little tricks needed but if you have built a couple of kits should not be a problem.

I have flown the smaller one of snow and water. The 8 foot only saw grass before a bad battery pack did her in.

Here is my 6 foot.

flytreetimes 12-26-2009 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I own both the 6 and 8 footer, 6 footer is an electric powered Radial, 8 footer is a electric powered Turbo Beaver.
Have not flown the 8 footer, waiting for spring!! 6 footer has had 100's of flights. Very gentle flyer. Word is the 8 footer is the same.
If built to the plans, both are very light, 6 footer is 4 lbs, 6 oz RTF, 8 footer was extensively modded and weighs 15 lbs RTF.
I just perchased another 6 ft Radial kit, and will mod to a Turbo Beaver!! One always needs a matched pair, right.
Both sizes can be made much better looking with some changes. Unionville kits have some of the best wood you'll ever find in a kit, read the instructions carefully, they have a couple of unique building techniques, but no real hassles.

Kenemby 12-27-2009 12:25 AM

I much appreciate both of your replies. Yours and JimO's reply. I have ordered the DeHavilland DH 2 Beaver with the 8 ft wingspann from Unionville Hobby Supply. I anxiously await its arrival. I put one Beaver in the burn barrel. It was the one from Icon N'West. I quickly got to the point where I knew anymore work on that model would just be more time and money down the tube. Everyone I have spoken to about the Unionville Beaver has nothing but good words for it.

I will have to have a friend guide me back into the RCworld as it has been a long time since I have flown. I plan on having both a plate for wheels as well as floats for the 1/6th scale Beaver. I will not know how to manage that until I get the plans and see just where the hard points are located. I bought some 1/8th and 1/4 in plywood to make the plate with. I am using that terrible word assuming again. I assume that the landing gear on the plane is mounted on part of a plywood sheet. with the normal tie downs.

If you have done this tell me, not assume, but put both either wheels or floats on the Beaver!
Thanks once again for your reply.
Kenemby

flytreetimes 12-27-2009 02:18 AM

Hello Kenemby: Yes the Unionville kit have very substantial 1/4 ply built into the fuse for the landing gear, also hardwood blocks that bolt thru the ply. Should not be difficult to make both types interchangeable.
I do not fly off water, built suspension on front and rear, similar to Mr. Aerodesigns kit, works very well for my purposes, flying off grass fields. I do intend to build scale snow skis for my 8 footer. Have a look on RCCanada, several sources for more info on Unionville kits there also.
This was my first kit build since the eighties, read the instructions, then read them again, really is a pretty straight-forward build. They look good and fly better.

Kenemby 12-27-2009 03:32 PM

Thanks FlyTreeTimes for your information. Now all I have to do is to wait for kit to make it to Alaska. I will be the 1st airplane that I will build in 2010. I built 3 this year. I do enjoy building airplanes.
Have a great new year.
Kenemby

flytreetimes 12-27-2009 10:08 PM

No problem Kenemby: I started the kit bash today to convert a 6 foot Unionville Radial to a Turbo Beaver! Compared to most ARF's, Unionville kits are overbuilt to take some abuse. When I was learning to land right to left, I dumped my 6 footer into the 3 foot grass just short of the runway 3 times in one day! No damage. Iam not sure how many times you could get away with this, I went out the next day and again crashed into the grass/weeds one more time, again no damage. Maybe I was just lucky. Over 150 flights this year on this plane.
Any Arf I put on the ground even remotely hard always has broken something ie: landing gear, props, motor mounts etc etc.
I'm sure you will enjoy the flying as much as the build.
Please keep us posted, feel free to ask questions anytime.

JimO 12-29-2009 01:44 PM

When you get the box of balsa and ply there will be additional info about floats. You can either go with Unionville or after market and both will work great. What about skis? Had a set of Dubro before moving to the warmth of Florida, really neat to taxi on the snow and when you throttle up and the snow is powdery, makes a nice plume. Now where was that moose?

JimO

Kenemby 12-29-2009 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info JimO.  By the time I get the plane built  it will probably be close to late spring or summer when our temps reach almost 70.  I have a set of skis for a tail dragger but right now.  I have not looked at them enough to know whether they will be adequate or not.  They probably will be too small.

I am like a little kid every time I go to the post office!
Kenemby

flytreetimes 12-29-2009 05:46 PM

Hello Kenemby/ Jim O:  Hope your Christmas went well, best wishes for the New Year:
Cageon Flyer has just posted his 8 foot Radial Beaver (Unionville), On RC Canada, you guys should take a look, it was built in 1984!!  Still flying strong!!
I've almost completed the bashing of my 6 footer's frame into a Turbo Beaver ,I'll try to post some pictures soon.
For now, I've used the last drop of glue to be had. No more building til Fri!!
The Unionville kit allow as much or little mods as you see fit, truly befitting the legacy of the Beaver.
Picking up the latest order from the PO keeps me young, and looking forward to the next built or addition.
Enjoy your planes!!

JimO 12-29-2009 07:10 PM

Christmas was great and like flytreeimes the Post Lady and my better half, together brought me the gift that keeps me young. Uravitch 81 inch OV-10, retracts and all. Glue is open and plans are on the bench, balsa dust will soon be falling.

Will have a look at RCCanada and the turbo bash. in my eye the Beaver is a hard plane to compete against for style and beauty.

JimO

flytreetimes 12-30-2009 12:15 AM

Hey Kenemby: Santa/wife/ postman sure where nice to you this Christmas. I'm single, partly because I haven't found anyone willing to buy my whiskey or rc airplanes!!! Congrads on the Ultrvich OV 10 , great plane, great project, good building ahead.
My Christmas was really good, too, my daughter was here for Christmas for the first time in 20 years!! (lives in Calgary, Alta). Best present a father could have!!
That along with the freedom to build another Beaver has made this year special!!!

Kenemby 12-30-2009 12:26 AM

Having family at home at any time is good but nothing is quite like being home at Christmas.  Everyone who reads your reply will be happy for you.

I have always been one who thinks that you make a decision each and every day early on that for that day you will either be happy or not.  I am certainly old enough to know that some days are a lot tougher to be happy because of events taking place.  Even so being happy is much better for ones own health and happiness.

Have a great New Year and do your best to avoid P H D's. They make happiness even a harder thing!  As a friend of mine said that all he ever wanted to do was take off, fly around the pattern, land and have something to fly again the next day!.

Kenemby

flytreetimes 12-30-2009 11:49 AM

Jim O Sorry for the confusion (on my part) I re read your last post, realized it was you who recieved the OV10 way cool! Nice gift and a too cool wife - the best to you all in the New Year.

Kenemby: You are correct my friend, even tho the marriage failed some 25 years ago, the bond with my daughter has never waivered, may be even stronger. I count my blessings everyday.
I spent 40 years in the welding trade, have went thru 2 heart attacks, ride my 126 hp01 Dyna like I stole it every chance I get, have made loyal friends ( like brothers)all across thiscontinent, fly m yRC planes with great enthusiasm every time I get out, YES, life is good.

I have the main frame of my new 6 foot Turbo Beaver framed up, used every drop of CA in the house, no more building until Fri, have to enclose the front extension (almost 8") to the firewall, then do the sheeting. I''ll start the front suspension in the meantime, working hard to keep the weight down!
My 6 foot Radial Beaver was built by a club member, no flaps, but hardly needs them, plane weighs 4lbs,6oz RTF!! It is not a glider, but will fly at 1/3 throttle at maybe 10 mph on a calm day, with 400 watts on tap, it climbs out strongly at 45%.
The 8 foot Turbo Beaver has not been flown yet!! I have doubt it will fly, at 15 lbs RTF, it will be a different bird. I will let the local pro do the maiden, then go with a trainer cord for first flights.
I flew RC in the early eighties, then got started again 1 1/2 years ago, have a dozen or so planes ranging from pleasure flyers (the 6 foot Beaver), a coupleof WW2 Warbirds, 2 WW1 biplanes, 3 stunt/pattern planesto a Kelly Reno Racer that has gone 124.6 mph on electric.
Always my favorite has been the 6 foot Radial Beaver, I think eventually the Beavers will dominate the field.
Every time I fly Beaver, I'm instantly transported to the north, flying important cargo to someplace remote, to someone who needs it now!

I'm amazed that since 1947, there really hasn't been another plane that does or can do what the Beaver has done and continues to do!

I went to the biggest RC airplane event in our area last Sept, flew the 6 ft Beaver there, despite the hundreds of very scale, very beautiful planes there, the Beaver drew a crowd and positive comments from all. Over 400 planes, only 3 Beavers, 2 flying.

flytreetimes 12-30-2009 11:54 AM

Re read my las post:

It will state that the "Idoubt it will fly" concerning the 15 lb-8 foot Turbo Beaver!!

It should read "I HAVE NO DOUBTS THAT IT WILL FLY"

RichieN 05-02-2011 05:37 AM

I’m looking for the plans for the 8’ Beaver by Unionville Hobby. I bought partially started kit on the Craigslist but the plans are missing.
I could not find any manufacture website, perhaps someone can provide contact information for the Unionville Hobby, maybe they could help.
Thanks,

flytreetimes 05-02-2011 06:14 AM

UNIONVILLE HOBBY SUPPLY can be contacted at 905-640-1534 or by emailing [email protected] Address is PO Box 135, Markham, Ontario L3P-3J5. hope that helps flytreetimes.

plntjfc 10-02-2011 04:37 PM

Looking for any and all information on a 8' de havelland beaver kit made by Unionville. Recently picked this up from a friend partially build, but have to finish building the fuslage. I have the building plans, but does this kit come with an instruction booklet?? If so could you steer me in a direction or send me copies from the one you built. Thanks and I can be reached at [email protected]. Look forward to hearing back from you.

RichieN 10-03-2011 05:08 AM

The person that I’ve been in contact with is Joe Murray.

Email: [email protected]

Donairplane 01-25-2012 02:35 PM

The horz. stab is too small on the 6' Beaver.It's 20" should be 23.75" on an 1/8 scale plane. Full scale is15'10" stab/elev.
Someone should fix the kit!
Don.

G8er 02-13-2012 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Kenemby

Thanks FlyTreeTimes for your information. Now all I have to do is to wait for kit to make it to Alaska. I will be the 1st airplane that I will build in 2010. I built 3 this year. I do enjoy building airplanes.
Have a great new year.
Kenemby
pretty sure the beaver in Anchorage House of Hobbies is a 8' Unionville not sure, you should stop in and see, across the street from REI in the old Blains art supply building

pinkweld 01-28-2017 03:06 PM

Do you still have the instructions for the 8' If so would you sell me a copy so I can build mine, I bought it at an estate auction with no insttructions

ashwin0731 02-13-2017 02:46 AM

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE [URL]http://

wakehand 04-17-2018 02:33 AM

Plans

hi, I’ve just picked up the 6’ kit and I’m missing a page of the plans. It appears that the horizontal stab and fin come on a 2nd page, which wasn’t in the box... does anyone have a copy they can share with me? I’m a new builder and this is pretty disappointing. I’ve tried reaching out to Unionville hobbies but haven’t received a reply. I can compensate anyone who can help. Thanks.

trroadster 01-28-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by wakehand (Post 12423639)
hi, I’ve just picked up the 6’ kit and I’m missing a page of the plans. It appears that the horizontal stab and fin come on a 2nd page, which wasn’t in the box... does anyone have a copy they can share with me? I’m a new builder and this is pretty disappointing. I’ve tried reaching out to Unionville hobbies but haven’t received a reply. I can compensate anyone who can help. Thanks.

Hi
I just picked up a partially built kit/ The tailfeathers are built and covered but I can scan at actual size and send them to you. In return I would ask for info re the servo mounts and pushrods in the fuselage. Also, does the plan show flaps or jusy ailerons?
Thanks
Don