Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 AM
chench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #4 Fixed Pitch Helicopter Forum

Everytime my tail rotor hit something when its spinning it stops and doesnt respond until two or three minutes later; is this just because it straining has heated the electronics up a bit? Also, any solutions for keeping the tail rotor from hitting stuff when on the ground - what about trimming a bit off the tail rotor or would this have too effect on the trimming?
I trimmed mine by powering up on the hall floor which is slippy and ajustin according to which way it slid.
Chench
Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Crashnet2000

Here is my baby so far... i still dont know if she will fly any good.
I did all these mods during my wait for the new rotor head and a new 4in1 that burned out because the foulty battery.

What do you think so far ? And do you think she will fly better then the original setup

Click on my Gallery to view some bigger pictures
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...m?memID=202318
Old 10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
xelltronics

To all walkera lovers out there having tail rotor problems: I simply used the old tail rotor hub, cutoff the damaged blades and replaced them with thick plastic blades from used plastic jars. Just do not tighten the screws too much so they can swing freely when they hit the ground or something. Make sure you make the new blades the same size as the original or slightly larger or you'll have trim problems. Hope this helps!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68507.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	333340  
Old 10-03-2005, 12:33 PM
xelltronics

crashnet, I'd like to see bigger pics but they won't work. Modifications look interesting...
Old 10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Crashnet2000

Try here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...m?memID=202318

ORIGINAL: xelltronics

crashnet, I'd like to see bigger pics but they won't work. Modifications look interesting...
Old 10-03-2005, 12:44 PM
chench

Aw CURSE! Was doing some nice hovering over the lawn when the heli hit the ground - not very hard, but hard enough for me to power down and have a look at it - and the servo, the brand new one i only installed this afternoon, is not responding, just like the one it replaced. Why is this?!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:09 PM
xelltronics

Did'nt notice that link... ... your mods simply look really heavy-duty! those aluminum angle bars and bolts will surely survive g-forces anytime!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Crashnet2000

those are really light
i will cut down the bolts and drill more holes to the alu.. But do you think it is to heavy ?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
chench

Alrite, false alarm bout the servo. Think my tail motor is dying though - only works for like a minute then stops . . . Anyone got any ideas for upgrades on it?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:55 PM
xelltronics

They do add to the weight. Before my walkera was still new, I hooked a small camera and a 9V battery and was still able to fly but with full throttle. Checkout my heli now with huey body. Total Weight is around 312 grams but still flies on stock motor and 8.4V NiMh.

Name:	Vs55518.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	333406  
Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
SeaBear
My Feedback: (1)

Trim question....i punched it up in the air and i did not touch the right stick so i could see what adjustments i need to make. avoided a brick wall safely but on the 3rd 'hop', as it were, i broke my tail rotor....again. so here's my question.....during my short flight i was moving forward and drifting right. also nose turning slightly right. so i think i need to move the right-left trim switch to the right and the forward-back trim switch up. am i true? i'm just trying to save a little time since my flights seem to be brief and always result in a broken tail rotor. God bless the Devcon Plastic Weld people.
Thanks
Bryan
Old 10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
cardgabe

Seabear,
I think you have your trim switches backward in your mind. If you're drifting forward and right when you take off without any input to the right control stick, then you need to adjust your trim left and down... to counter balance the forward right. Also if your heli is rotating to the right in flight, you probably need to adjust your trim for your left stick to the left slightly. For me, the easiest way to adjust all this was to just take off about a foot off the ground... see which was it was going and immediately set the chopper down, then I'd make one click adjustments here and there to counter the direction of the heli. To start... be sure that all your trim adjusters are centered, and make sure that the paddles on your flybar are level with the ground. This will make your adjustments as small as possible. Goodluck. [8D]
As for my heli... I crashed into a small tree at my parents house... the heli fell out of the tree and landed directly with the tail into the ground... my tail rotor and tail gear fell off and it damaged my boom a little bit more than it already was. Now I can push on the tail boom and it splinters apart and i can see the wires inside of it... although I flew again after in the garage where there was less wind and had some of my best hovering time ever. Guess I'll order a new tail boom and fly it as is for now since it works. Everyday I fly my dragonfly #4 I am more amazed with how strong it is and how well it works once I'm used to it. Anyway, goodluck to all in your flights!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:36 PM
SeaBear

thanks, im glad i asked. i was thinking of it as though the trim switch was 'center' and if drifting right then i needed to move the center to the right of the stick which would, according to my erroneous thinking, make a 'left' adjustment. but now i see, that the switch makes adjustments to, but doesn't relocate 'center'.
i predict much success on my next flight. you are right, this thing seems very tough. i've had a couple of pretty hard hits and the only casualty has been the tail rotor.

anyone ordered directly from like90? i ordered a week ago and the site still says my order is 'pending' which to me means it hasn't even shipped yet. i e-mailed them today but no reply yet.

thanks for the help.
bryan
Old 10-03-2005, 11:01 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

YEEEEAAAHHHHH!!!

I got my WDF#4 today!!!!!!!

Ok, the thing came in its original box just covered in brown paper and taped, how it made it here from China with being destroyed is beyond actual phyisics!!

I have not flown it yet and I just sat there for about an hour looking at it, its so beautiful!!!
The only thing i have done is looked it over and ran the rotors to check for alignment, blade tracking, and vibration.

I ran it to full power while holding it and it has some vibration, I am not sure how much vibration is acceptable but this is kinda excessive.

The blades are not traking on the same plane of rotation. I would guess while looking at them spinning from the side that they are traveling on planes of rotation that are about 1/4 inch apart.

The alignment seems ok but its difficult for me to gauge how straight they are.

The blades are attached kinda tight but they can be moved. Some one said they should be loose enough for centrifical force to straighten them out perfectly.

The rotors seem kinda tight as far as meshing is concerned. I can't tap the blades and they spin freely.
I am not sure on this one.

The head assembly looks pretty good. There are no extra plastic and zero binding.

I do have version 2. The rotor is attached with fiberglass.

I have bought a heat sink for the tail rotor motor and put that on.

Other than all the above, I do not plan on flying her untill i get her completely trimmed out and balenced and after i have had enough training on the sim.

Please let me know your thoughs and tips on the information above fellas!!!

Oh here are some pics!!

Thanks

Rob

Name:	Tr50467.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	333672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74243.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	333673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41829.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	333674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61477.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	333675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36855.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	333676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59619.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	333677  
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 PM
SeaBear

let me know if you get your sim cord to work....i still can't get mine to.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 PM
tomcatguy74

what is wrong with your sim cord SeaBear?

Rob
Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
SeaBear

it tells me it can't find the device.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 AM
tomcatguy74

I have tried hooking up the sim and using the cable but I get all the way to running PPJOYCOM and I get an "ERROR 5" and it says it cannot open the port. I don't know what is up with that.

I used the info from this link I was given.

http://www.dkgoodman.com/dragonfly.html

It has a simulator setup help in it. Maybe you can do better than me on it.
It also has alot of great info and help in it.

Let me know what happens, I am going to tinker with my settings to see if i can't accidentally get it to work
Old 10-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Crashnet2000

My works. Make sure you choose Zhen Hua 5 in PPJOYCOM and do not turn the program off. Now when you have choosen the Zhen hua 5 start up FMS and under controlls choose viritual joystick.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:13 AM
tomcatguy74

Hi crash,

I cannot get the "error 5 opening port" thing to go away. I have looked around and tried some things but I just can't get this puppy to work.

I read somewhere about something possibly using my com 1 port which i assume is my serial port, but I have no idea on how to find it.

I have completed the ppjoycom part and it "sucessfully opened the joystick" but thats it.

Does this mean that it has I dentified my radio?

I just don't have anyway of getting rid of the "error 5 opening port" problem.

Help!! [X(]
Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 AM
oops

Hi Tomcatguy. You need to make sure nothing else is using the serial port, and the correct one is enabled and set up.

To test it, use Hyperterminal (comes with Windows) and set it up for COM(x) - your com port. Then set 19200, No Parity 8 bits, 1 stop bit.

Now plug in. Turn on transmitter (remove the crystal when using the sim). See if you get five repeating characters.

When you get that far, then you can use PPJOY next

David
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 AM
tomcatguy74

How do I find out what is using the port. The hyperterminal is telling me that another program is using the port???[&:]

Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 AM
oops

How many com ports do you have? Perhaps a mouse is plugged into Com1 and you're on Com2?

David
Old 10-04-2005, 08:19 AM
tomcatguy74

I think I have 2 ports labeled Com1 and Com3. I have not seen Com2. The mouse is connected to the "mouse" outlet on the back of the computer.

Is there a program out there that can help me scan my ports and find out what is using them?

I use a cable modem through an ethernet cable and I have a dialup modem[:'(] that i have diswconnected from what ever it was using.

There was never anything connected to my serial port.

Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 09:18 AM
tomcatguy74

IT WOOOOORKS!!!!! AH HAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! IT WOOOOORKS!!!!!!!!!!! (crash of thunder in the background) [>:][>:] AH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Whew!!!

I found the varmint living in my COM1 port!! It was an infrared device that I did not even know was there.
I just looked all over my computer in and out of all the cubby holes and systems and adapters and all that crap untill I found this infared device hogging my COM1 port and I chose to disable it and low an behold I checked my System Information and the port was not busy anymore. I got excited and launched PPjoycom and cofigured my transmitter again and this time I got the wonderful "Successfully Opened Joystick" AND the awesome "Successfully Opened Port" messages and I got really excited!! I then went to turn on my TX and got the "Reading Serial Stream" message and fell out of my chair!! I then went to calibrate my TX and I got the joysticks centered properly and launched FMS. It completely worked!!!! I was psyhiced!!!

Now I do have some Q's

Do I have to waste batteries in my TX to use the sim? It won't work unless i have the batts in. Does that AC adaptor hole in the back work? Has anyone tried it?

Also, in the sim should I use the trim on the TX ? I feel it kinda cancels out the calibration of the TX if I use them.

Dang! I actually got it to work!! Yeeha!!

I want to thank everyone who helped me figure this thing out!!

Thank you fellas!!!!

Any questions feel free to ask me!!

ITS TRAINING TIME!!!!![>:][>:]

Rob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.