Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Dragonfly #36

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:13 AM
mflauer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera Dragonfly #36

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rogerdee

ORIGINAL: gordthebiker

PATIENCE+PERSEVERANCE+PLASTIC
You forgot GLUE!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM
clayton.akerley

Hi I'm new to flying the Walkera 36 and I have a question. When I hover my Copter it vibrates. What can cause this

Thanks for your help
Clay
Old 05-18-2006, 02:30 PM
don_87

Everything on the helicopter must be balanced, start with the main blades. Make sure the weigh the same, check the flybar paddles....must be the exact same distance apart.
Check for loose bearings, nuts or bolts, bent main or feathering shaft, and read the walkera 36 forum......it will help you immensely.
Good luck,
Don
Old 05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
gordthebiker

ORIGINAL: Rogerdee

I see you have an Align boom-did you get a trexbelt or shorten the boom for the 36?
I have 315mm Align woodies also but have not tried them yet-how are they?

Nice to see the progress you have made.After six months I am a better 36 mechanic than pilot but now have a lot of confidence and a massive parts department.
Roger

PATIENCE+PERSEVERANCE+PLASTIC
Hi Rogerdee,

Those are cheap ABS blades on the yellow one and CF blades on the black one. The cheap Align blades don't like high headspeed though, they make a strange flutter noise. As soon as I put the CF ones on the noise went away. I'd like to try the wood ones, post back and tell us how they fly.

That CF boom came standard on my 36 from RC-Expert, but the only way I know of using Align booms is to trim a few mm's off the end.

Gord
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
driver153891004

got problem with my 36.battery fully charged but when connected the servos twitch then nothing.the light on the side of the gyro and reciever constanly flash.get no respponse from helicopter wot so ever.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:11 PM
driver153891004

also does anyone know wot gyro is compatable with #36 heli.i think its best to replace walkera electronics as they look a bit bit like cheap crap
Old 05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
squiglevision

Does anyone have any experience with the #36 in high altitude situations? I live at 5660 feet and burn out my stock motor every three flights. I have had to increase the pitch in both blades main and tail to compensate for the thinner air. I rebuild the motor every 3 flights because of the extra stress and have had enough.... I ordered the brushless and esc combo from walkera in hopes that it will last longer. Will the brushless have the same problem because of the extra pitch? or will it actually last? Any help would be greatly appreciated...... Thanx
Old 05-19-2006, 04:46 PM
swheli

i would have thought increasing the pitch to counter 'thin air' shouldn't have any adverse effects.After all you are only trying to move the same amount of air downwards as if you are in denser air....so in fact the motor should not be doing any more work than normal.
Perhaps your motor is too tightly meshed or you are increasing the pitch too much .Also , try flying without canopy to aid motor /battery cooling.
Good luck
Old 05-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Yade

Check that your flight mode switch is in the N position and that your throttle is all the way down before plugging the battery in.
Some 36 owners are using a Telebee gyro to replace the stock one. It has a few different names, Telebee/Align/400 gyro.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
321blastoff

My Dragonfly wont leave the ground ??? I checked the pitch and only seem to be getting +5 to -5
Does any one know how to get it to the +10 to -10 ??? The servo seems to traveling all the way
Also how do you get the knobs to work ??? I keep turning them and theey seem to do nothing
Thanks in advance for you reply
Old 05-22-2006, 03:58 PM
larryk9

TO get the knobs to work you have to flip switch #8 on the back of the transmitter. THe knobs control pitch center and pitch servo throw. BTW it should leave the ground with even 2 or 3 degrees pitch. What bats/ motor are u using?

ORIGINAL: 321blastoff

My Dragonfly wont leave the ground ??? I checked the pitch and only seem to be getting +5 to -5
Does any one know how to get it to the +10 to -10 ??? The servo seems to traveling all the way
Also how do you get the knobs to work ??? I keep turning them and theey seem to do nothing
Old 05-22-2006, 05:07 PM
321blastoff

I am using the 1500 ma LiPo from Walkera along with the brusless motor and ESC.
The movement is smooth and there is no vibration ??? Can I flip the switch or will I lose the factory settings ???
The #36 does not seem to even get light on the skids
Thanks again !!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:18 PM
larryk9

You should be getting lift off as is. Go ahead and flip the switch and play with the 2 knobs on the front. You will only lose the factory setting for those 2 knobs. It would be best if you tinkered with the knobs with a pitch gauge hooked up though so you can see exactly what you are doing with them.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM
nail-pounder

I am using the 1500 ma LiPo from Walkera along with the brusless motor and ESC.
The movement is smooth and there is no vibration ??? Can I flip the switch or will I lose the factory settings ???
The #36 does not seem to even get light on the skids
Thanks again !!!
321blastoff, go back on this thread and find the links I posted for setup instructions. One or all of them should be helpful.
nail-pounder
Old 05-22-2006, 07:57 PM
321blastoff

How do you go back to a thread ??? Big computer dummy here !!!
What tooth gear do you guys run with the brushless setup ???
Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Splodge

Nail-Pounder

The Walkera website has the manual for the WK-0701, same as supplied for the Walkera CCPM models, and gives a reasonable explanation as to the PLT and PZT controls and how it affects pitch and throttle curves, about a 2Mb download. The Engrish has improved a bit!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:58 AM
nail-pounder

How do you go back to a thread ??? Big computer dummy here !!!
What tooth gear do you guys run with the brushless setup ???
321blastoff, What you are looking at are posts in a thread. This "thread" is composed of 165 pages. Scroll up. If you don't see the links on this page, (page #165), click on the next page back. (164) It will start at the top of the page every time you click on a page number. is on page 163, post #4055, but here are the links:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3480219/tm.htm or http://www.moretraction.com/helis/setup%20videos.htm or http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v16/ehbg_index.html One or all of these should help.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:50 AM
321blastoff

Thanks so far guys for putting up with my dumbness !!! And for the tips so far. My #36 seems to be set up acording to the threads so I am wondering if it's the motor or battery. I got three gears with the motor 9,10 & 11 I installed the 10 tooth and am wondering if I should go for the 11 ???
I heard the walkera electronics are not that bad once you free the reciever of the speed controller and high voltage battery input. Is there any one out there that has a pretty good operating radio system or was I told wrong ???
Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Rogan

Have you tried moving the linkage further out on your collective servo horn? The one underneath your main shaft? That will increase the throw of the arm, and the maximum collective you can get.

Incidentally my 36 was fine with the stock Tx Rx and servos (although the gears last about 3 mins). At least it was fine until I flew it into the Ant of my Tx.

All you need to do with the Rx is to add a proper whip antenna (so it's not wound around bits of heli) and make sure the Rx isn't overheating. The reason it overheats is because underneath the sticky pad that holds the Rx to the heli are a pair of little holes to allow cooling to get to the amplifiers. If you just remove the pad and remount the Rx so that the holes are open to air it doesn't seem to overheat at all.

The prob with Walkera imo is the brittle plastic they use on all the parts. The chassis in particular is bunk. I wouldn't trade my 36 for the world, although I don't think there's much Walkera left in it.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Rogan

ORIGINAL: driver153891004

also does anyone know wot gyro is compatable with #36 heli.i think its best to replace walkera electronics as they look a bit bit like cheap crap
Well I bought a Futaba G190 (£50ish), no heading hold but it worked well and it's light. Just bought a Futaba GY401 (£100ish) to replace it. If I'd have known about the Align (etc) ones for the same price of the G190 but with many of the 401's features I'd have probably bought one of them.

The 190 is pretty good, though, solid, reliable, light and easy to use. Can't vouch for the 401 yet, but if it's as good as everyone says, you might as well buy one right off the bat. Mainly because you can sell it on eBay for the price you bought it.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Rogerdee

[quote]ORIGINAL: gordthebiker

Hi Rogerdee,

Those are cheap ABS blades on the yellow one and CF blades on the black one. The cheap Align blades don't like high headspeed though, they make a strange flutter noise. As soon as I put the CF ones on the noise went away. I'd like to try the wood ones, post back and tell us how they fly.

Hi Gord,

Tried the Align 315mm woodies last night and they make the chopper very stable-perfect for me with my level of skill-tail/side in hovering and landings.
Flight characteristics changed compared to the normal yellow ABS blades I use-nowhere as twitchy
Also flicked the hedge and gravel on my driveway with no damage-bit more robust than other woodies I have tried.
COG was out by 1mm and balance needed a wrap and a bit of insulating tape.They tracked fine.

Will post some pics soon of the mods I have made.

Roger
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Yade

The GY401 is great, but it does not work with the stock radio that comes with a #36. There was some discussion on this topic here:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4088297/tm.htm]401 on the stock 36 electronics[/link]
Old 05-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Elgreco3

Let me ask you guys a question....
I am grounded for now as I am waiting for a proper charger for the 2200 battery that came with my #36 as after the first charge , it won't take a charge.( Hoping I will be able to restore it or will get a new battery.)

But I have read some posts that people have been able to hover with the stock 650ma battery.
Myself... although at full charge, it will not lift off the ground. Even with fooling around with the pitch knobs, nothing...
I know that the stock battery is weak, but how people claim that they are able to hover ?(assuming still original motor)
The blades seem to spin very fast, but do they really spin that much faster with the larger battery ?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 12:12 AM
321blastoff

Rogan if you use the ESC do you still have to uncover the vents holes or does the ESC do all the work and make the heat ??? I already replaced the antenna with a deans unit.
Is it O.K. to use HiTec RS55 Servos or are they to weak ???
Old 05-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Rogan

My walkera esc lasted about 15 mins, so if you have one of them I guess it needs a heatsink. TBH I think they all need heatsinks, but the cheapo RC-Smart one I'm using is running ok without any mods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.