Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera Dragonfly #36

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Rollin Thunder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera Dragonfly #36

EDIT:Sorry wrong thread but since its here enjoy anyway!
here is a video of a walkera 4 identical to mine with the exception of the aussie blades. My blades are 32mm cord clipped stockers. The performance is about the same. This one is using a graupner speed 300 (identical to the em350). Enjoy![link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9dSI0FLeY]Video[/link]
Old 10-01-2006, 12:25 PM
monkeyboy28

I seem to be experiencing alot of similar problems to Aurora799. Particularly with my tail rotor. I had a crash and had to change a linkage. But since I have put the 36 back together the tail rotor seems ineffective.

It takes full stick to keep the thing straight on the ground and then as soon as it starts to lift off it spins anti-clockwise. I have no idea how to counter this. Does anyone have any ideas[&:]
Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 PM
poiyt

ORIGINAL: monkeyboy28

I seem to be experiencing alot of similar problems to Aurora799. Particularly with my tail rotor. I had a crash and had to change a linkage. But since I have put the 36 back together the tail rotor seems ineffective.

It takes full stick to keep the thing straight on the ground and then as soon as it starts to lift off it spins anti-clockwise. I have no idea how to counter this. Does anyone have any ideas[&:]

monkeyboy, there are lots of fixes for this on this thread.. if you do a "search this thread" you'll find a lot of info.. search terms "yaw" "spins" etc

the DF36 takes some fidgeting to "dial the spin out"

basically, you probably need more pitch to your tail blades at lower rpm (to add clock-wise, or nose-to-the-right), and you can do this mechanically (adj linkages, adj tail servo bac & forth on boom, adj tal rotor pitch using grub screw on tail, etc), or electrically (thru the tx & gyro trims), or both

other will probably weigh in here
Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 PM
poiyt

fellas here's one for you: using stock motor & stock 650 batt, what would cause the tail to gently/slowly oscillate up and down?

no problems with yaw or nose turning left or right, just a gentle up-and-down motion at the tail (maybe 1" travel?)

other than that she's rock solid & flyable

any ideas?

thx as always

jeff
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Rattlecat

I was just looking at an ECO8 with the same problem and it was balance. Slop in the linkages along with the balance being perfect can allow it to swing like that. I have read that a little, LITTLE nose heavy helps with forward flight, and will help take up slop in the linkage.
Mine needs to be a tad tail heavy or else I have to pull the tail trim back some or else it lurches foreward. Funny thing though, the swashplate has to tilt back some also. It ain't just balance. it may be something to do with the paddles.
Still only at the hop stage with the 36, practicing fff and maneuvers on the DF4 and considering an ECO8 or ECO7. They are battery hogs, but with their 3000 mah nimh 10 cells, get 10 minute flights at about the same cost as our 2200 mah lipos. They are BIG and not as twitchy and flight is more fluid and smooth, even sounds more like a full size heli with a lower frequency chop-chop. And they have a 1060mm or so rotor (the small one) , oooooo scary ! But a little big for my yard.

Stableblade
Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Ah Clem

Stableblade,

I agree with you about a slight nose-heavy condition being beneficial. My Raptor G2 (#36) is now somewhat nose-heavy. Everytime I roll it, the nose pitches up when it is inverted. I am trying a little more nose weight, which will require a bit of aft trim upright, so that it wil have more of a tendency to drop the nose a bit inverted.

I will let you know how it works out.

You could sit down and have a cup of coffee in the time that it takes to complete one rolll...
Old 10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
poiyt

hey clem....

my DF36 tail bobs up & down in stable hover (everything stock)

other than that, all is well

any thoughts on what'd cause it?

thx

jeff
Old 10-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Rattlecat

Ah Clem,
If you were flying with Bob Hoover, you could drink your coffee while he did a roll. As a matter of fact, he could pour a cup of coffee while doing a roll in his Rockwell Commander.

About the Parkzone 2amp Variable Rate Balancing Lipo Charger .......
I got it today, it charges batteries, I tested two different 3 cell and 1 2 cell without a balancer tap (Electrifly safety circuit instead).
It balances the cells within 0.03 volts. That looks sloppy to me because I can balance my 11.1v Thunderpower TP2100 15c to better than 0.005v by using the Electrifly single channel one at a time on each of the 3 cells. It worked ok on the 2 cell 1500mah 8c.
How bad is the 0.03v balance difference ?

Stableblade
Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
badgerfarm

Hey poiyt,
I saw your question about the tail bobbing on your #36. Mine did the same thing until I upgraded to the brushless/esc/lipo setup and it stopped. The headspeed with the brushless is much faster and completely stopped the bobbing. There may be other explanations also but that is what cured mine.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Rollin Thunder

When I installed a brushless in my heli I decided to unsolder the old motor wires from the board. While I was at it I touched up the antenna solder joint were it has a golden contact ring. Today after a flight as an after thought I had a friend help with a quick range test. I ran out of space at 325 feet. I was at the edge of a creek and he was at the tree line so that was as far as we could go. We are going to test it again soon at the fairgrounds. I'll post the final range. It would be great if everyone with the stock RX would post their maximum range.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
soneebee

better get the headspeed higher... it night be bubbling...

ORIGINAL: poiyt

hey clem....

my DF36 tail bobs up & down in stable hover (everything stock)

other than that, all is well

any thoughts on what'd cause it?

thx

jeff
Old 10-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Rollin Thunder

I just did a timed flight. With the align 420LF 11T and 25amp esc powered by a 2100mah 12C lipo. Time started when the heli reached eye level and stopped when the esc low voltage cut-off forced me to land. Flight time was 14min and 13sec. What is everyone else getting?
Thanks

PS. tracking was off but I didn't want to mess up my timed flight by stopping to adjust.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:24 PM
soneebee

that good that it last 14 mins hovering....
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 AM
poiyt

badger, & soneebee, thanks to you both

as I found out, it was indeed lack of rotorhead speed due to undercharged batt-
that seems strange to me, but there you are

once the batt was fully juiced, she trimmed out nice & smooth

btw- I still think I prefer a CCPM heli (I'm eyeballing a DF37 barebones)

if I were to ebay my month-old, totally stock DF36, what do you think I could get for it?

thx

jeff
Old 10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
gordthebiker

Hey guys,

Do any of you know how to connect the mixing arms [link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=82_106&products_id=4062]on this upgrade[/link] to the blade grips?

Can I install the balls off the original part? I had a slight misshap yesterday and broke one of the mixing arms. I've emailed Ehirobo but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 AM
soneebee

thats good Jeff that you found the problem.... why do you want to get the DF37? dont you like te 36 anymore.. The 36 seems to be a good heli.. I am happy with this performance even though its slow in collective.. bit it still is stable and a very good heli for starters...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM
gordthebiker

ORIGINAL: gordthebiker

Hey guys,

Do any of you know how to connect the mixing arms [link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=82_106&products_id=4062]on this upgrade[/link] to the blade grips?

Can I install the balls off the original part? I had a slight misshap yesterday and broke one of the mixing arms. I've emailed Ehirobo but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
Soneebee, you've got the CNC head haven't you? Do the mixing arms use any special balls?

Cheers
Old 10-03-2006, 10:17 AM
soneebee

Yup I have the walkera aluminum head.. it is not really or something that changed the helis way of flying.. its just like the plastic head replaced with aluminum parts.. but all the screws and balls are the same.. the only difference is the length of the links it should be shortened....

Hey guys,

Soneebee, you've got the CNC head haven't you? Do the mixing arms use any special balls?

Cheers
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 PM
gordthebiker

After hitting the floor, the only part that broke was the mixing arm (the last remaining plastic part) so If I replace that it should be a strong heli!
Aren't the ball screws threaded for plactic not metal?

Thanks Soneebee.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
soneebee

The one that they sent me to test are the same parts as that of the plastic one.. The screws are the same machine screws that you have on the plastic one event the ball is the same.. I think walkera just made it aluminum instead of plastic without that much change in the design unlike the change they made on the 60 head which was a totol change of design.. I find the one on the 60 better design and parts are more reliable the one on the 36 seem to be not that good...

After hitting the floor, the only part that broke was the mixing arm (the last remaining plastic part) so If I replace that it should be a strong heli!
Aren't the ball screws threaded for plactic not metal?

Thanks Soneebee.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM
gordthebiker

But the parts are cheap, at $13 I can't complain. I saw your 60 in the other thread, it looks really nice! Maybe too nice, wouldn't want to crash it.

Anyhow, it's 2:30am here in Japan so off to bed. Thanks for helping me.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 PM
poiyt

ORIGINAL: soneebee

thats good Jeff that you found the problem.... why do you want to get the DF37? dont you like te 36 anymore.. The 36 seems to be a good heli.. I am happy with this performance even though its slow in collective.. bit it still is stable and a very good heli for starters...

sonebee as you recall I had a couple very bad and undefined electrical glitches (once just out of the box stock, and the other 2 were after adding the BL/ESC)- each time inducing the same behavior: from a stable hover in calm winds, the heli would suddenly fly backwards at a 45-deg angle into the ground

this happened in exactly the same way each time; no amount of correction would save it... helidirect (where I got it) thought the likely culprit was the Walkera Rx
(^*!%^!$! Walkera electronics again!!), so they sent me a new one

evrything's rebuilt now & she flies great...

als. I recently picked up a barebones BeltCP from helidirect, just starting the build
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1745

so I don't know yet what I'm gonna do with 36... good heli, but to get 'er to perform wuld need to upgrade motors * electrics

Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 PM
soneebee

Well the metal parts on the 36 does give it cosmetic upgrades.. more on the looks.. performance will be the same.. I am not sure on the crash part if the aluminum will withstand more impact than the plastic ones. but i guess it can share some bumps.. there are advantages that i found on the alum head assembly one is that the blade grips these are more reliable than the one on the original plastic grips what are splitted into two housing the bearing.. that thing is no good.. kinda makes more slop and loosen up thru time.... the one on the metal head is much better design.... another is the metal swashplate.. I remember the plasitic swash that came with the 36 was not perfectly circle it was kinda oblong as i saw the A links to kinda oscilate in an oblong motion and the links too so it causes some vibration... but on the alum swash this was alot better really circle and bearing is located dead center so there was no more vibrations....

the 60, well the last flight I did was really great.. just made some adjustment on the throttle curve added some more power set if to around 90% full now and set the 3D to have a dip of around 5pt in the middle so its now 90,87,85,87,90 and it worked great.. also made some othere mods that made the heli very stable on flight that even pushing the throttle the gyro hold it steady on... very nive to fly now.... I kinda am flying the 60 more and placed the 36 on hold for the next upgrades i guess...

But the parts are cheap, at $13 I can't complain. I saw your 60 in the other thread, it looks really nice! Maybe too nice, wouldn't want to crash it.

Anyhow, it's 2:30am here in Japan so off to bed. Thanks for helping me.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
soneebee

Jeff,

The Belt CP seems to be a good heli from ESKY. Its some new heli they came out that seem to be like the KING and Cool heli that they came out before.. do you have it or still in order.. It looks promising.. post us the performance of this heli.. it kinda looks good...
Old 10-03-2006, 01:36 PM
poiyt

ORIGINAL: soneebee

Jeff,

The Belt CP seems to be a good heli from ESKY. Its some new heli they came out that seem to be like the KING and Cool heli that they came out before.. do you have it or still in order.. It looks promising.. post us the performance of this heli.. it kinda looks good...

yes I have it and have started the build, about halfway through now (also got my first computer radio, a futy 6EXH w/ rx & 4x 9g futy servos included for $160)

many others have said they think it's esky's best effort yet

I started off w/ esky as my first heli (somehow, I think esky & e-flite are related or connected), and in general have been pleased with their design, reliability, and performance

the Belt looks similarly to be well-engineered

keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.