Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
THE WORST HELI IN THE UNIVERSE
7.72%
VERY VERY VERY BAD
4.56%
DOING MY HEAD IN
7.02%
ACCEPTABLE
12.98%
OK
9.82%
OK
5.26%
GOOD COULD BE BETTER
22.81%
GREAT HELI
18.60%
ABSOLUTLEY LOVE THIS HELI
8.77%
THE BEST HELI IN THE UNIVERSE
2.46%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

** WALKERA DRAGONFLY 36 *

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
DominationPB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ** WALKERA DRAGONFLY 36 *

well I don't "think" that with the trex I would not have changed the whole set of electronics lol, I got all new servo's and the 140 dollar gyro because the walkera ones should be shot out of a cannon lol.
honestly all together besides for the ups I think I would have saved money in buying a trex..
but oh well, that'll come soon enough (well after the snowmobile I get this weekend lol)
[8D]
mooohooohahaha
Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
kg4izw

on Jan 2 there was a post that said:
Hi There, you seem to know a little about the Walkera 36 RC helicopter. I'm new and just opened it on Christmas day. Charged the battery and installed new AA in the TX. I can't seem to get the helicopter to respond to the the TX controls. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to confirm my setup? The instructions that came with it were pretty poorly written and doesn't contain a whole lot of information.

I want to remind all the extreme noobies that the Walkera transmaiiter takes 8 aa batteries, not just the 4 on top. You got to pull the black battery holder out, flip it over and fill the opposite side with AA batteries as well.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Reytek

kg4izw

This is the uplink for setting up W36 Heli. Hope this helps.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3523495
Old 01-12-2006, 09:57 AM
pizzaman71

hi guys, have a #36 after learning on a dragonfly 4 but i fried the reciever. could someone help and tell me witch channels are actually used on the reciever? i have replaced it but don't know which wires go where.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:37 PM
41south

DominationPB - I have to agree. I think if I had done more homework I would have gone the TRex way as well. Prices on both #36's and Rex's are dropping at the moment. It won't be long till I get a Rex to add to the collection. [8D]
Old 01-12-2006, 05:42 PM
thecheatscalc

I like my 36 personally, and I'm glad I didn't go with the TRex, but, my ESC just screwed up and shut off in mid flight... droped from 10 feet with no ability to re initilize it in time (too bad I wasn't in 3D, I could've tried my first autorotation) it WAS flying great, but, until I get this fixed, it's going to be a problem flying.

Here's the problem, when I turn the heli on I hear a light noise, which I first thought "just that crappy rear servo acting up again" which, it's known to chatter at turn on. Then the REAL servo noise started, which I promply tapped the servo control and it stopped. I go "what the crap... hope one of my OTHER servos didn't just strip" so, I kept it on and tried to turn the lift and leanining ones. nothing, they weren't it. Then I held my 25A esc which just happened to feel like it had just finished a very long flight, though, I had only flown for two minutes and the 16 AWG wires were starting to feel warm. I turned it off and came here, what would be wrong, and what can I do? there's still time for me to fly today.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
DominationPB

mine gave out on me too, but then started (sort of) working again, I was testing it trying to get rid of wobble. So I was first throttling up with "just" the flybar and paddles on, while leaving the throttle in the same position while examining the tracking and wobble of the heli, it would just shut off and restart for no reason...don't dare to try to fly with it.. I did get it a little wet last week tho so thats probably my problem...
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM
thecheatscalc

I haven't gotten mine wet, so that's not it...
Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 PM
E_Heli

thecheatscalc,

Test your esc with all the servos remove from the rx, motor should be off from the heli. If that does not work, try to re-program your esc follow the manual.

I don't have Align esc, but re-programming works for my CC10 and CC25 using the CC USB link. (CC = Castle Creation)
Old 01-13-2006, 05:09 PM
thecheatscalc

I found the problem, the lift servo had jammed and was drawing a TON of current, (and making the buzzing noise) once I solved that the ESC cooled down immedatly which is really odd... but, it worked, and I didn't have to spend ANY more money!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:20 PM
uke

ORIGINAL: uke

Thanks for your insight.
If the burn-in on the motor doesn't do the trick on giving me enough power, I'll have to try the brushless with an "actiyator" (heh, heh).
Well the new motor didn't work either. I saw somewhere in this string that someone had problems with their pitch servo drawing too much power. Now I think that's my problem, too. just ordered a set of those... we'll just have to see. I also have a gear or something slipping in the sprag clutch (- the thingy that grabs the main gear to turn the rotor, but also lets it freewheel when power is no longer applied).
I hope I get these bugs worked-out by next Christmas. This was supposed to be my present this year - turns out, it's my PROJECT for this year!
- Uke
Old 01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
thecheatscalc

that was me, what's wrong, is it stopping in mid flight? turn on the heli, and TX feel each of the servos, if one is getting warm, take it apart and pull the motor from the gear (also feel the circut board) if the motor is hot, the best thing to do is to twist the servo knob until the motor stops moving, re insert, if the motor doesn't heat up again, you've fixed the problem, if the circut board isn't working anymore, well... you've got new servos for a reason.

PS: you wanna give me your servos? I could use a new one... one of mine died... reason of death? uncertain...
Old 01-19-2006, 06:21 PM
E_Heli

uke,
Are you using the stock motor or BL, my stock motor works it's very hot, can't even touch it after 3 min hover. But I use good battery pack, Thunder power 12C lipo packs.
There's a one way bearing in the main gear to allow it free wheeling when power off, it only spin the head when turn in one direction.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:29 PM
uke

thecheatscalc,
Thanks 4 your info on taking apart the servo, I'll have to look into that while I'm waiting 2 weeks for the new ones to arrive from China.

What makes me think that's my problem is that just before the heli lifts off, I all of a sudden lose power. My thinking is that as the throw on the servo gets greater, the more power it robs from the motor & radio. I can push the throttle full-out - then the rpm diminishes to about half.

The other problem: the new brushless motor has so much torque that the clutch (?) is starting to slip. The motor & main gear are properly meshed, so the slipping is happening inside the mast's fixtures. Is there anything I can take out and adjust - or the other question is, what do I have to replace.

I've practically replaced the entire heli and have NEVER got this thing airborn! ..but determined to do so.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:52 PM
uke

ORIGINAL: E_Heli

uke,
Are you using the stock motor or BL, my stock motor works it's very hot, can't even touch it after 3 min hover. But I use good battery pack, Thunder power 12C lipo packs.
There's a one way bearing in the main gear to allow it free wheeling when power off, it only spin the head when turn in one direction.
E_Heli,
I just put in a brushless - man, what power! Also using 2200mAh lipo batt. That one-way bearing is what I described as the "sprag clutch". That's what the thingy is called on the Robinson R22 (...used to fly real helis) and that's all I knew to call it. Yeah, I took it apart last night. It's basically a modified bushing. It has grooves on the inside that incline. Inside the inclined grooves are "needle bearings" held in each by a clip. As the bushing rotates in one direction, the needle bearings slightly sink into the incline and allow the shaft to rotate freely. If the direction is reversed, the needle bearings roll up the incline, cinch-up against the clip, and at the same time pinches (or grips) the shaft to rotate it also.

I fixed my problem with the slipping... that 1-way bearing is all metal - and it's friction fitted into the plastic main gear... aparently the drunk China-man had grease on his fingers when he installed it. It was spinning inside the gear when the torque was high enough. I cleaned it off and put a small drop of threadlock on it and reinstalled it. Works beautifully! NO MORE SLIPPING!!!
I got the heli 8in. from floor for about 4 seconds. Longest flight so far! (May not be exciting for you... what? only 4 sec?... but that's a major breakthrough for me.) Perhaps I'll have EVERYTHING replaced by nexy Christmas... then perhaps, it'll fly.

...ordered a set of servos yesterday, so it'll be about 2 weeks before I can see if that's the problem with losing power. I took the pitch servo apart last night, too. Ran the tiny motor for about 30 sec. and it got hot, but that may be normal when allowed to no-load spin. (?) Put back together / reinstalled... still have same prob. As the throttle moves up, I get good RPM. @ about 60+% it starts losing power. All build-up and no action. Sounds like marriage.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:54 PM
thecheatscalc

heh, I know your problem, the one way bearing is slipping on the shaft, find it, and carefully put a dab of superglue around the EDGE of it (don't let any get inside the bearing for obvious reasons, and if there's lube there, well, the superglue won't do a thing) there's no clutch on this thing, that's only on gas helis.

for the servo, when it draws power, it can cause so WEIRD things to happen, such as, why did my BL ESC start heating up when no power was going though it? it would shut off in mid flight, even after flying just a minute or two.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:21 PM
DominationPB

Hi guys, I seem to be having problems with my one-way too. So I was wondering what exactly do you glue it to? the main shaft? Or the Main gear, I thought it was the gear?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 PM
E_Heli

When you set up the servos, make sure no servo chatter when it reaches its end points, they will draws a lot more current and heat up the BEC in the esc in no time. You can move the linkage to the next inner hole of the arm or adjust the ball linkage, all computer radio have the EPA and/or sub-trim on either end of the travel to fine tune the set up.
On the pitch servo adjustment (under the main gear), make sure it doesn't lift up the main gear when it moves all the way to the top, it will strip the servo gear inside. Make sure disconnect the motor plugs for the pitch setup, throttle channel powers up the motor and control the pitch together.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:29 PM
uke

Go back to my post (#515 / responce to E_Heli) and carefully read where I say,

"I fixed my problem with the slipping... " (It was slipping inside the main gear - not on the shaft. The grip on the shaft was ample.)

To answer directly... You "glue" it to the main gear. The "glue" I used was a threadlock. Y'know, the stuff you put on screws to keep them from backing out. Clean both parts with soap-n-water well and be sure they are COMPLETELY dry before affixing. ...use only a tiny bit!

Gluing the bearing to the shaft would be counterproductive.

At the beginning in the same message, I thoroughly describe the 1-way bearing. I took mine apart last night and typed the description earlier this afternoon to share with you guys and the other curious millions out there what's going on inside the little booger.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:00 AM
thecheatscalc

oh crap! sorry, not bearing on the shaft! no the bearing on the GEAR thanks for catching that!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 AM
DominationPB

Hi ppl, I'm attempting to get out my one way/main gear. I made it as far as having the csaw, shaft and whole head assy out. Now I'm stumped.... I can't seem to wiggle the main gear out of there, is there any special trick, or something else I have to take out as well?? thanks
Old 01-21-2006, 10:35 AM
DominationPB

hehehe, I used the old mastercraft to make a slot for it and it come out
Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 AM
uke

I just kinda twisted, turned, & pulled (with extreme care, of course) mine until it came out. No modifications to the frame. Man, those bearings and caps were a b*tch to get stacked back in there, weren't they?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
E_Heli

Use this tool would make life easier. You also can use small thin wall sockets.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...447dc1ec21de44
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 PM
uke

I had no problems at all getting the bearing out (it was already slipping). I was referring to getting the main gear assy. out of the heli's frame. (Without having to take the frame's halves apart completely.) Careful maneuvering required.

I'll keep this tool in mind (and your suggestion for small sockets, too) in case I ever need to remove it again and it's stuck. Thanks for the info - and who knows, someone else may have been looking for that tool anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.