Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

walkera 22D out of control

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 12:24 PM
wolfpack72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default walkera 22D out of control

I just purchased a Walkera dragonfly 22d. I was doing ok with it, then put in a fresh battery and now it spins non stop out of control. I,m not sure if the on board gyro got knocked out of wack or something going on in the tail rotar gears. It did take a few hits but nothing major. any info would be helpful on what may be causing this. Or any info on adjusting the onboard gyro. The book that came with it is pretty much worthless. Thanks
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: walkera 22D out of control

Check your tail gears, if they're stripped your heli ain't goin nowhere. Also check and make sure the tail gears are still engaged to the main tail shaft. It can happen where the shaft spins but the gear slips on the shaft.

If everything is still turning snugly, it could be your gyro. Try giving left and right rudder while spooling up the main rotors. If you still have tail control, then something screwy is going on with your gyro.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:37 PM
wolfpack72

I checked the tail rotor and everything seems to be working right. can a after market gyro be plugged into that receiver even though it has a gyro built in? I was looking at the GWS peizio gyro and the futaba gyro for small electrics.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:38 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think you can bypass the main unit since it has mixing built in. Using an external gyro would probably wreak havoc.

Your best option is to scrap the 3in1 unit all together and just use your own receiver with a heading hold gyro like the GY240 or equivalent. It will negate the need for a tail mix thus still allowing you to use a standard 4CH radio.

Before you start buying stuff though, make sure the tail servo is working properly, and make sure it's compensating in the right direction. I've heard of the receivers sometimes switching servo direction of their own accord for no apparent reason.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:04 PM
dobbit

take a look at the tail rotor servo too
Old 01-30-2006, 12:00 AM
rmanaoat

Hey Wolfpack72,
I'm a newbie.Just bought a 22D and after a few flights same thing happened to me,dang bird went spinning out of control!I was just wondering if u found a fix.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:08 AM
rmanaoat

Hey Wolfpack72,
I'm a newbie.Just bought a 22D and after a few flights the same thing happened to me,dang bird went spinning out of control!I was wondering if you were able to find a fix?
Thanx,
rmanaoat
Old 02-07-2006, 04:18 PM
hartar

I have a 22D that started doing this.. what happened was the tail assemble slipped back slightly and I wasn't getting good gear mesh... It would mesh good enough to fool me into thinking it was okay but was not spinning at full RPM. I loosened the tail assembly and veritical stablizer and pushed it forward to ensure good meshing..this fixed it for me..
Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 AM
rmanaoat

I just wanted to say thanks for your help.I took a closer look at that gear and I found some shaved teeth.
Parts on order.Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:27 AM
hartar

something else I did was I put the tail rotor on the other side.. It didn't seem like the tail rotor had enough power to overcome the torque of the main rotor.. it was okay but just wouldn't yaw clockwise very well.. It seems the tail fin was in the way of the air flow so I just flipped the tail rotor over so it sits on the starboard side of the heli.. made a huge difference.. did some testing on it last night and it seems great!! If interested I let you know how I did it.. its not hard..
Old 02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
rmanaoat

I noticed the yaw symptom on mine as well,I'll give that a try as soon as my parts come in (Japan).
As a newbie to this addicting hobby,I greatly appreciate your input.
Questiono you know if there is suppose to be a bearing on the empennage before the turning gear is mounted?I don't recall seeing one when I took it apart ,but it seems to show one on the parts diagram.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:55 AM
22Diraq

Hey Hartar, I have been looking at my 22D. I am having some of the same torque related issues. How did you change the tail rotor to the other side? I would really appreciate the help.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 PM
ShanePro

Hows it going all. I am a newbie to the flying side of this world. I just baught a Walkera 22D This helicopter does not even go 2 inches off the ground??? It also leans to one side no matter what I do. How do I get this coopter to fly more than and inch off the ground? I can not get this copter to do anything that I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on setting this thing up so that it will actually fly? Ane help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Shane
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 PM
ShanePro

I have read that alot of you are upgrading the servos. What is a good servo to put on the 22d? Also what about upgrading the motor to a more powerful one to get the thing more than an inch off the floor/ground? Thanks
Shane
Old 12-22-2006, 06:01 PM
bfrunner

To clear things up about using an external HH gyro with the 22D's 4n1, you can install a seperate gyro with the stock 4n1 on the 22D. First unplug the rudder servo from slot 5, then you will need to plug the HH gyro into slot 4 on the reciever, and plug the rudder servo into the HH gyro.

Slot 4 and 5 on the 22D's reciever will control the rudder servo, but slot 5 has the mixing and is the output for the internal gyro which the rudder servo is plugged into for the stock configuration. Slot 4 on the 4n1 does not have any mixing nor is an output for the internal gyro but will drive the rudder servo from the TX. I use a seperate HH gyro with my stock 22d's 4n1 and it holds the tail great! I use a g006 gyro which although on the bulky side works great.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shane, you need to adjust you pitch and throttle curves to get your heli up, the motor is not your problem. Check your settings and add a few more degrees of pitch and have it come in a little sooner.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:16 PM
bfrunner

The 22d is a fixed pitch heli, adjusting pitch and throttle curves only apply to collective pitch helis. I think you got the D mixed up with the 22E or A? [:-]

Seems like the motor is either worn out or he needs a better battery pack.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:27 PM
cyclicoverload

OHH hea, your right he did put the D after that, i didnt even see that.I have been answering 30 e-mails an hour on this site today i must be going crazy.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 PM
ShanePro

lol so what can I do to get my 22D off the ground?
Old 12-22-2006, 08:35 PM
cyclicoverload

If the motor and battery are new i would cycle the battery a few times (charge-discharge) and make sure you are using a good charger. If you have to use the one it came with make sure you unplug the battery when it starts to get warm and dont overcharge it. Then discharge the battery, not untill its compleatly dead now just enuff for the rotor to slow down and charge again.
If these things dont help your battery might have dropped a cell and could be bad,some times thay are bad from the get go.
Let me know if it helps.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
cyclicoverload

Also double check that all your sw setings are right on the TX and every thing is thay way the book says for start up. Like when you push the cyclic forward the swashplate tilts forward and so on. recheck every thing slowly and make sure you did not miss anything.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 PM
johnnychimpo

Does the 22D have Leading edge grip on the tail rotor or Trailing edge grip? Please someone tell me the answer!!! i cant find any damn pics on these threads!!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
ShanePro

Anyone interested in buying my 22D it is still brand new. Everything works on it but I am going to stick to my nitro truck. I dont really have the patience for this jittery helicopter. Battery has been cycled like 3 times. I would like to get what I paid for it since it is still new. $100.00 gets it shipped to your door. Any one interested post a reply or email me at [email protected] thanks
Shane
Old 01-06-2007, 08:26 PM
ShanePro

I want to put after market servos on this helicopter. What is a decent set of servos that do not have a lot of jitters to them. Help me out. thanks
Shane
Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
cyclicoverload

Go with the HS-56 or 55 ether one are good, the HS-56 has stronger gears in it but both of them are tite and strong. I have been running Hitec servos and radio gear for 10 years and there stuff is of very good quality and last a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.