Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:57 PM
JohnY2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

At full throttle, make sure the pitch won't exceed the recommended pitch (i.e. 7 or 8 degrees). Once the pitch of the blades exceed this angle, you'll get drag instead of lift. When continues to operate the motor at high drag, the motor won't sustain itself and the carbon brushes will wear out very quickly. So measure the pitch of the blades with the pitch gauge.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:06 AM
The_tinchers1

OK, has anyone tried to replace the blade grip shaft on the #52. I have removed the screws to take the blade grips off put no matter how much force I use without breaking anythings I can not get the grips to come off the shft. Is there some trick to this.

THanks
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
kolinking

To take the blade grips off, you will need two screwdrivers on each side to unscrew one side of the screw. After remove one side, twist the grip and pull it out. That should make it.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=Walkera+%2352

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=Walkera+%2352

I really like mine. With the BL motor it's a low maintenance, high fun factor heli.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:18 AM
bobhvac

Hi all,

Just received my 52 from china/ebay yesterday, only 7 day delivery not too bad...
Ok out of the box, found this little carbon rod/pin, I guess thats to hold on the tail plade with the rubber hold down nut/fastener.
Good thing, I opened it on the sheetmetal layout table, both parts were rolling around in the box.

Put the lipo battery on the supplied charger, and inspected the heli. The battery charger went green in 5 minutes.

Ok here we go on the shop floor, wow a bit of trimming the cyclic to the left and in the air she was in the air. Right into a hover,
I'v only been flying heli's for a month. Drifting around the shop a bit I had to set it down.
Ok after about 3 minutes of playing my battery couldn't generate enough lift to fly it.
Note to self, Adding more throttle, had my blades whipping the air with too much pitch, was killing the battery too quick.

Made some adjustments on the dip switches and v1 v2 knobs and back in the air again, flight time 3 to 4 minutes now.
The battery charges in about 6 minutes every time.
After about 4 flights in the shop, I headed out side, by the way in the shop I flipped it on its side and chopped the throttle, didn't even loose a blade.

Out side, Swoop right into a hover 2 feet up, Nice and steady, I love this thing..... Flew 1 circuit around the parking lot, and the battery was failing. Couldn't hover in and dropped on the pavement from about 2 feet, No damage.
Took her home and put my astroflight charger on her.
Could only pump in about 100ma on the 270 pack.
Ok to me the battery pack needs more c's, it seems that after you drain less than half the rating, it cant get into the air again.

In conclusion, This thing is a blast, it came with the same 701 transmitter that my DF 60 came with 72mhz, not one glitch all day and night in my home. However the battery is junk, if you order one, find a new lipo pack around 300 to 480ma 12c or higher.
Don't wait order the pack while waiting for the bird to arrive. Then send that one back to walkera maybe you'll get a free one.

I am going to do a brushless up grade, only after I fly it for a while. A note for newbie's leave the blades loose you'll get some dihedral and she will hover better, later when your ready tighten them up and do some flying.
Bob

Old 09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Kdill2160

Here's vid of mine.....

[link]http://www.whirlybirdz.com/images/walkera52_music.avi[/link]

And a pic in the park, flies great outdoors even in a little wind

Awesome little heli...I got mine from HeliDirect...great service after the sale.....they took care of a small problem I had very quickly.....what more can you ask for? Nice TINY heli...flies AWESOME! gets really small, really fast. but it is very stable!

Ken
Old 09-12-2006, 02:14 AM
heli-john

Looks brilliant!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 AM
thecheatscalc

gotta say I just love this thing.... (no, I don't have one)

but man, it just looks so cool yet uh... cute? (probably a bad choice of wording)

Dunno why but I've just always loved micros, and I've got to say, my 36 scared me... I think I'll probably get one of these to replace it (may it rest in peice ) That'd entail LEARNING how to fly on my #4 pretty well (making some mods like a 4 bladed prop plus double tail motor system) as I'm really not that great at flying yet (I know how to set up a heli though... wonder why)

so, all in all, what kind of flight times are we getting with the stock battery (and the upgrade 480 one)? (how is this thing flying stock? good I hope?)
how fragile in crashes
how expensive are parts
and finally, how much did you get your's for?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Helibum

Saw the DF52 on Ebay a few weeks ago looked pretty cool so I started doing my usual research which led me here. After reading all the posts I decided to go ahead and order it for $98.00 how can you go wrong. I bought it buy it now on a sunday and received it the following friday, I was impressed such fast service from someone selling on Ebay. So friday afternoon I rush home from work to play with my new heli, I felt like a kid on christmas morning, I get everything open and bummer left radio stick is stoved in but I remember a post from here where Heli-john had the same problem i'm hoping mine is no worse than his. So I open the TX up and parts fall every where screws, plastic levers, springs, etc...... now i'm really upset, now i'm wondering how the heck all this stuff goes back together. But not to fear i'm pretty good at putting things back together, the good thing was that nothing was broke and more importantly nothing was missing. What had happened was that the very small screws holding things together in there had pulled out of the plastic threads I dug through a box of assorted screws I had laying around and found some screws that were the perfect size, there were enough to replace all of them so I did. Wala it worked the radio is in perfect shape now. Okay who took all my batteries man I hate it when you really need AA batteries you find about 50 AAA batteries and vice versa oh well i'll rob them from the kids game boy lol.
So now I have batteries in the TX I charge the Li-Po battery it only took about 5 mins for it to charge throw it in the heli and turn everything on seems to be all right give it about 1/4 throttle and wow this thing spins up fast give it a little more and the front end starts to lift up but the tail is still on the ground man is this thing tail heavy. Now I need to do something about this I tried mounting the battery under the 3in1 with velcro and the balance is now good but can't put the body on now. Only way I see is to make a whole new lower plate so I can mount the landing gear more forward hence moving the battery forward. Anyways I am working on a solution now when I figure it out I will post some pics. But I love the Heli mine seems to be adjusted well right out of the box hovering wise it goes up into the air pretty smoothly. But this definitely is not a beginner heli. Will post more soon cheers!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Helibum

Okay, well I was able to get my modification of my DF52 done and it turned out great. Perfect balance now, trimmed it out a little and goes into a hover perfect I love this little Heli. Here are some pics of what I have done it was pretty simple really, I went to home depot and bought a small sheet of acrylic its about an 1/8th inch thick. I took the landing gear off of the heli and the bottom aluminum plate. I used the plate as a pattern to make the new plate out of acrylic I made the new plate about an inch longer than the old one, I then taped the aluminum plate to the new one and drilled the four 1/16th of an inch holes that are used to mount it to the heli, there are also holes right next to these holes that were a little smaller but I went ahead and made them 1/16th inch also so all in all 8 holes so far. I then took the aluminum plate off and moved it to the other end of the new plate and did the same thing but I only drilled the four inner holes which are for the landing gear. Now the holes used to mount the plate to the heli fram need to be drilled out to 5/32" to allow the screws to just slide in. You can not use the screws that originaly held the plate on the frame they are to long so you need to find some new ones. I actually used the screws that fell out of my receiver that I replaced with longer ones, thought that was kind of funny. So now you use the screws that held the old plate on to mount the landing skids they work perfect with the acrylic and a 1/16th hole it makes its own threads. Then I used velcro on the bottom plate and the battery to mount it and thats pretty much it. The balance is perfect now and it looks like there was nothing done to it. If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them hope this helped.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56293.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	531440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68990.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	531441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35956.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	531442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22140.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	531443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47658.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	531444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68772.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	531445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25384.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	531446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86904.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	531447  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76815.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	531448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90326.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	531449  
Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 AM
heli-john

That sounds like a great mod. Might try that cos I know my temporary fix moving the battery well forward made a real difference.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:40 AM
robl45

mine only flys for about 1 minute before losing juice. However it is relatively solid for that 1 minute. I needed a decent amount of expo and had to check the pitch before flying. My main problems are the battery dies in 1 minute and I can't seem to trim the tail. Have it set for the stock 40% mix and 100% heading lock but have full tail trim to the left and still need left rudder to hold it steady. Mine is bogging at full throttle, figured this was that it needed more throttle. I read above it could need less pitch, mine is running about +10 +12 right now.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:39 AM
motoboy66

One of the #52's in flight. I have one, but shed a main blade in flight, you want to see something fun? It threw the blade30 plus feet across the room and then rolled over and died on impact. Well it will need new main blades, but thats it. I liked the idea of using velcro to hold the batterey on, theni can have more than one. i hope this little guy can be tamed down like my #4 then it will be the perfect indor machine. Here is a video I found on the web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eKRJtaTPAA

Todd
Old 10-01-2006, 10:50 AM
heli-john

Wish mine would fly like that.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:58 PM
jw8888

Hi;

I have had a 52 for sometime now. It seems that the battery is getting bloated. Is there any other types of battery that I can use that can also provide more flying time? The voltage seems strange for its size ie 11.2V. It looks like its more of a 7.4V type. What do you guys think?

jw
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Hoverup

It's definately a 3 cell lipoly, just a cheap brand. I have had great luck with the Hyperion 3s 300mah packs for my 52's.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM
jw8888

Thanks for the reply.

I just plonked on a 7.4v 15C 2-cell Lipo and the heli took right off again.

Seems that it works just as well.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:41 AM
robl45

Does anyone have any idea how to get the main gear off? I tried pulling on the pin going through it with pliers and I just seem to be ripping apart the pin.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Hoverup

The only way I have been able to remove the main gear is to use a 1mm pin and drive it out with a jeweler's hammer.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Mister_Scary

First of all I'd like to say thank you to "Hoverup" for his service to our country.

Now to the questions.....
I posted these in another thread before I found this one, but I am going to get one of these (on ebay) and would like to go ahead and order the parts I need to upgrade it to a brushless system.
Which make/model/kv size motor would be the most this heli can handle?

Which make/model/amps ESC is best to go with the new motor?

For example, I'm upgrading my DF60 to an Elf Hobby 4200kv outrunner and Elf Hobby 30A ESC with Walkera adapter.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Hoverup

Not sure about the "most it can handle", but my successful BL conversions use the 4000k/v Medusa 12mm motors with a 10 or 11t pinion powered by Hyperion 300mah 20C 3s packs with Deans 2R micro connectors. Slip a pair of GWS 12mm heat sinks on for good measure and you're done with changing out the Walkera junk brushed motors frever.

I've had excellent results with the Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC.

First of all I'd like to say thank you to "Hoverup" for his service to our country.
Thanks for the kind words Mister Scary.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:24 AM
heli-john

ORIGINAL: Mister_Scary
I am going upgrade it to a brushless system.
Why?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: heli-john

I am going upgrade it to a brushless system.
Why?

Hmmm......I never typed the words you've "quoted" from me, but I've always been a state of the art kind of guy when it comes to performance. Brushed RC motors are yesterday's inferior technology, in my opinion.

I am by no means putting down anyone who may prefer a brushed motor in their heli. To each their own.

P.S. How do I go about putting a nifty little picture below my name, like you and some other members have?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Mister_Scary

ORIGINAL: Hoverup

Not sure about the "most it can handle", but my successful BL conversions use the 4000k/v Medusa 12mm motors with a 10 or 11t pinion powered by Hyperion 300mah 20C 3s packs with Deans 2R micro connectors. Slip a pair of GWS 12mm heat sinks on for good measure and you're done with changing out the Walkera junk brushed motors frever.

I've had excellent results with the Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC.

Thanks for the kind words Mister Scary.

Thanks for the info! Now I'm off to find these parts.[8D]
Old 10-15-2006, 05:24 AM
heli-john

Now to the questions.....
I posted these in another thread before I found this one, but I am going to get one of these (on ebay) and would like to go ahead and order the parts I need to upgrade it to a brushless system.

For example, I'm upgrading my DF60 to an Elf Hobby 4200kv outrunner and Elf Hobby 30A ESC with Walkera adapter.

Thanks.
Here's the copmplete quote. It's in there!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.