Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 AM
Mister_Scary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera No. 52 - Indoor 6Ch Helicopter

ORIGINAL: heli-john

ORIGINAL: Mister_Scary

First of all I'd like to say thank you to "Hoverup" for his service to our country.

Now to the questions.....
I posted these in another thread before I found this one, but I am going to get one of these (on ebay) and would like to go ahead and order the parts I need to upgrade it to a brushless system.
Which make/model/kv size motor would be the most this heli can handle?

Which make/model/amps ESC is best to go with the new motor?

For example, I'm upgrading my DF60 to an Elf Hobby 4200kv outrunner and Elf Hobby 30A ESC with Walkera adapter.

Thanks.
Here's the copmplete quote. It's in there!!!!!
Dude!

Perhaps you just don't have a firm grasp on what a "quote" is.
If I quoted what I said in my above statement, it would say "I need to upgrade it to a brushless system". Mainly because that's what it actually says.

You "quoted" me as saying "I am going upgrade it to a brushless system" as if I had somehow reverted to a caveman form of broken english to communicate.

No big deal. I guess I shouldn't have even pointed it out.

Now go fly something!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Mister_Scary

Hey, Hoverup!

I was looking at the upgrade Hyperion battery you suggested and was wondering, how much flight time are you getting with it?

Also, isn't it the mAh of the battery that determines your length of flight?

Are you using that particular mAh because of size limits under the heli?
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 AM
robl45

You might as well get the TP 480mah. The weight difference shouldn't be much and you will get longer flight time.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:00 AM
heli-john

I'll ignore the sarcasm and ask the question again - why do you want to upgrade/change/whatever to brushless?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Mister_Scary

I'll ignore the sarcasm and ask the question again - why do you want to upgrade/change/whatever to brushless?
Okay, I'll answer the question again......
Page 3 of this thread, post #72:
"I've always been a state of the art kind of guy when it comes to performance. Brushed RC motors are yesterday's inferior technology, in my opinion.

I am by no means putting down anyone who may prefer a brushed motor in their heli. To each their own."

Old 10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
JRexA

I have been looking at this #52 for a friend that did quite a bit in Nitro Helis a couple of years back, and now wants something that He can use indoors.

I have seen on eHirobo, they offer a 800mah 7,4v 12C LiPo as additional batteries. Will those work or should I recommend another size/type for the original engine?

As for brushless that sounds interesting, but I wonder, can you also get a brushless for the tail?
I like Brushless because they have a better power/weight and typically are 10-30% more efficient, than brushed engines.
That they typically have a longer lifespan is also a big plus.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:55 AM
heli-john

The reason I asked is that my 52 gives about 15 mins of flight time and at the moment is as good as it gets and doesn't need replacing though if I had had a naff one one from Walkera or had worn it out and had to change the motor I would probably go to brushless. However, as far as mine is concerned, it is great as it is.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Mister_Scary

The reason I asked is that my 52 gives about 15 mins of flight time and at the moment is as good as it gets and doesn't need replacing though if I had had a naff one one from Walkera or had worn it out and had to change the motor I would probably go to brushless. However, as far as mine is concerned, it is great as it is.
Yes, that's sounds like some good flight time!
Forgive me if you've already told me, but what volt/mAh/current battery do you use?

I'll fly (soon to be) mine with it's stock motor until it gives out or starts to weaken. No sense in letting a good motor go to waste.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

I have several Walkera #52 airframes and have yet to find a stock main motor that lasted more than 10 flights. This was my motivation for developing a simple mod to a BL main motor. Once you've done it you will never look back as you will end up with longer flight times and a noticeable difference in climb out power.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=Walkera+%2352

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Do you know of any motors that Horizon sells that would work well in place of the Medusa one you used? I get a good discount on stuff from Horizon so I try to get the majority of my stuff from them.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
motoboy66

How do you all get the pitch to move up smoothly? Mine will jump from 1 to almost 7 degrees moving the transmitter stick one click! This makes it imposibble to fly. It either sits on the ground, or shoots into the air. There is no happy medium. I have messed with all the settings , but have found no combination that helps. Is it possible to make this little guy fly well? I would love to use my Spekrtrum on this guy, but don't want to go to separates and a gyro. Also are there any replacement servos that are better than the Stock twitchy ones?
Old 10-18-2006, 05:53 AM
robl45

It will fly pretty decent. Its still a little jumpy though, not sure if that is just because of its size or if I can make it a little better. My throttle stick was very stiff when I first got the heli, I had to open up the transmitter and loosen it a bit. Now it is better, but not idea, the radio isn't super high quality. Also, make sure you turn your pitch down. My pitch is set at like the 10 0 clock position on the transmitter. Thats on the left knob when setting pitch. The right knob is in the 0 or 12 0 clock position. The servos should be fine, at least mines are decent enough to fly it around. Finally, try to get a pitch gauge on the thing just so you can get the blades at the same zero pitch and get zero pitch somewhat close to mid stick on the transmitter. And you need the transmitter in idle1 if you want to see the full pitch range.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
motoboy66

Thanks

It looks like i have been trying to use the wrong knobs to do the adjustments. I have a pitch gauge, and can get 0 at mid stick, but as soon as i move the stick up one click, it goes to like 7 degrees. This is what I am trying to fix. Also is there any way to increase the head speed with the stock setup. Mine seems too slow, and bogs as soon as i go past mid stick. I have noticed that the more I use it the less glitches i get in the servos. I have been toying with the idea of using my spectrum reciever and radio, but running it into the stock 4 in 1 so I dont lose the gyro or mixing functions. I dont know if it will work, but I also dont see any reason why it would not.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 PM
robl45

you need to turn down the pitch, I am getting max of 10 degrees pitch right now, I might turn it down slightly more. And you can turn up the head speed with the throttle setting, one knob does expo,the other does throttle, but it will fly fine at the normal throttle settiing, you just have too much pitch. And you need to cut the canopy or take it off or most likely the motor will overheat.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Foender

Hi all, this would be my first post and being a total noob at micro heli's would go without saying. I have had my DF#52 for a week now and only took it out once.I tried to get it into a hover and just land it, but on my first attempt i crashed. As soon as I get the motor up to speed, it seems that the bird just wont lift, then I upped the throtle and it flew into the air and capsized craching down to a certain death. Notice how I mentioned death, thats because it seems like the heli has a mind of it's own. I get absolutly no stability out of it.

So my question really is, is there some kind of beginner's guide to setting up, maitaining and flying the heli? Can I somhow get the schematics or circuit diagram to build a dongle that will work with AeroFly Pro Deluxe With USB crack?

Any tips and tricks would be welcome. I have raced mini RC cars all my life and I'm new in the flying buzz. Please send me some kind of info for hooking up my 6CH walkera PCM radio (TX) to my PC and crashing a few virtual helis before i take out the real thing again. In south africa i would pay about R1550 for the legit software and dongle, thats about $206 US, way too expensive for me, being a student and all.

Thanks for all your input so far, I'm looking forward to joining the ranks of the heli veterans out there, your help would be greatly appreciated.

You can reach me at JanATvpower.co.za ; plz replace the AT with @, i dont know if the moderators remove e-mail addresses. Ciao and happy flying
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Bugosaurus

Hi,

I just got one of these 52's. only trouble is, i got a mode 1 transmitter and i fly heli mode 2. I have a mode 2 futaba transmitter but i read somewhere that futaba wont work.
any help will be nice

thx

Bug
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 AM
volgan

ORIGINAL: The_tinchers1

Has anyone had problems with the battery for the Walkera #52. I just got mine and it will only hover for about 15 sec before it losses power and I have to recharge wich only takes about 5 minutes before it says it if done. For the most part I like the little bird but the flight time of 15 sec has me bit upset.
Hey The_tinchers1,

Did you figured out what happened? I am having the same 15s (or less) problem with my 52.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM
johnemc

I Finally decided to go ahead and order my 2nd heli, and chose the #52. But now I have to decide between the #52, and the 52#1. Which one do I go with??? They changed a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure what to do now?
Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 PM
lookyj

I've only been flying these micro heli's since xmas, when I first bought an E-flight Blade CX2. After learning to fly on this little coaxial, a few weeks later I bought my first collective pitch heli. Another E-flight Blade, the CP Pro. I've used RADDS school of flight to learn to hover and can safely hover through a full battery pack.

A few weeks ago, I was in Hong Kong and saw the Walkera 52 in a street market. I ended up negotiating what I thought to be a good price for the heli and took it home.

Initial thoughts when taking it out of the box. The aluminum frame and skids seem solid, as well as the plastic landing gear. Very small and light weight.

I'll post more on my first flight later.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Hoverup

ORIGINAL: johnemc

I Finally decided to go ahead and order my 2nd heli, and chose the #52. But now I have to decide between the #52, and the 52#1. Which one do I go with??? They changed a lot of stuff, and I'm not sure what to do now?
The 52#1 is a fixed pitch heli. The #52 is a CP heli.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Hoverup

Check their inventory for a BL motor with a 12mm O.D. and a kV of around 4000.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
lookyj

Well first flight ....

got it to hover 3" off the ground. I found it to be pretty tricky and unstable to keep a solid hover. Ended up crashing and busting up the main rotor blades.

I have my hands full with the Blade CP Pro and think it's best I concentrate on her.

Anyone want a good deal on a Walkera 52?

One flight, one crash.... only needs blades.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1453&rd=1&rd=1
Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 AM
apdavies

Has anyone managed to mod one of these to work with a futaba Tx yet?
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
jmmanas

hi there just got my walkera 52 after my #5-4. and m having problems setting up the remote. hope you can give me a step by step procedure on flyng this thing. oh did i mention i lost the manual! downloaded the manual already bt the thing still won't work.

thanks hope to hear from you soon!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
65heli

Hi Guys,
I am a rookie only having experience with a air hogs micro copter. It got me hooked for sure!
I was bouncing back and forth between the Micron and the Walkera 52 as I wanted a very small bird for my house and I went with the Walkera 52 as the price difference was so great.
It looks to me like the Micron would have been a out of the box flier with nothing really to upgrade, and the Walkera Dragonfly looks to be the exact opposite, lol!
If the directions are good, I think I can get it working. Time will tell. I should have it in a few days though. 98.00 and shipping on ebay for a brand new 7 channel one.
Hoverup, thanks for your service to our country and all the great info! Here's my question: WHAT ARE MY ODDS GETTING THIS THING TO FLY???? LOL

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.