Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

2006 Colco LYNX 380XL 6CH RC Helicopter

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

2006 Colco LYNX 380XL 6CH RC Helicopter

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 PM
The1 2 thrust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 Colco LYNX 380XL 6CH RC Helicopter

Hi !

I got the plus 400 from RC- Expert and the general quality is top notch, exept for this f...... blade holder detail. It' s not bad to keep me from flying. There is just a beating frequency at, maybe 25% rev that want to get everythin loose but, when i rev up, it' s fine. It is just a little bit scary .....anyway, there' s no reason for that.

Why did you sell yours ? you did'nt want to solve it ?
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 PM
tungnguyen

hahaha we got it from the same place. I bought it from rc-expert as well. Super slow response customer service. I got really bad experience with them. What package did you buy? RTF or just kit only?

I found that the rotor head is not solid, uhmm how can i say, I tried to tweak it and it is something like too loose...[X(] so be careful when flying it. You need to check everything before every flights.

I sold mine to fund my T-rex 450xl cde. Although it's plastic version but its quality seems to be better than Aplus 400. And spare parts are available anywhere. If you crash your aplus 400, at this moment, hard to find spares. I have to buy from Hongkong => take a lot of times ==> decided to sell.

Anyway, I'm glad to know how yours flies.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:59 AM
roy amstang

Hello guys
Im new here..and new to the electric heli world
I have this colco lynx380XL
Got quite problem with this...would appreciate if you guys could help me..

1.How to set up the transmitter for noob??
2.When I hit the throttle button,the heli goes up abit and then goes left...what should I do..?

Thx
Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 AM
house of paint

I think me recieving unit RX107 is broke or something.
When I turn on the transmitter (with throttle down and everything else as its should) and connect the battery to the helicopter then the recieving unit only flashes RED (and the Gyro flashes superfast) and nothing more happens..
No controls or servos react. The only thing that works is that servos goes on and off when transmitter is going on or off.

Anyone with experience? I also kind find a place that sell the RX107 mixing unit as a spare.
Please helo me [:'(]
Old 10-22-2006, 03:14 PM
polyzg

hellow, guys,

I just bought the LYNX 380XL and I have almost the same problem. the motor doesnt start, but the other controls work.
What should I do?
I would appriciate anybody's help.

ORIGINAL: house of paint

I think me recieving unit RX107 is broke or something.
When I turn on the transmitter (with throttle down and everything else as its should) and connect the battery to the helicopter then the recieving unit only flashes RED (and the Gyro flashes superfast) and nothing more happens..
No controls or servos react. The only thing that works is that servos goes on and off when transmitter is going on or off.

Anyone with experience? I also kind find a place that sell the RX107 mixing unit as a spare.
Please helo me [:'(]
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 AM
lostman

Hello all.

I am new to this forum and find all your comments, problems about the Lynx most interesting as I deal in Colco products. The problem with the rec/cont melting is very familiar to me (images attached) and this used to be (I hope) a BIG problem with this model which is a great shame as it has many advantages over the competition.

I had/have a big battle trying to get Colco to recognise they had a problem. Their attitude seemed to be one of disinterest or disbelief and put it down to 'operator malfunction'. They were implying that when the heli crashed the operator was still holding the throttle open and thus overloading the circuitry. Of course I knew this was rubbish as it had happened to myself at least 3 times. In the end I secured a Lynx to a desk, plugged in the lipol, powered it up and videoed the results. Lasted about 20 minutes before the usual melt down. I passed the video to Colco, evidence irrefutable.

They improved the unit and problems now are greatly reduced. There are two types of these rec/cont going around what I call the 'old' and 'new'. The old style has small flat panels on the board in place of 'proper' LED's for the power/setup and gain lights. You can tell this type as if you look at the holes in the casing marked power, setup & gain you will see there is an absence of LED's (sorry I don't know the correct term for these, I am not very technical when it comes to electronics). Well this type is the one that I find gives all the problems and is incidentally fitted as standard to the Hummer and now to the Thunderbird as well. When I order these models I specify the new style rec/cont.

The new style rec/cont has 'proper' LEDs for the setup, gain and power lights and runs much cooler and is much more reliable. I repeated my running test on some of these and they ran for a full 45 minutes continuous without overheating or any other adverse effects.

I cant see for the life of me why they still fit the old style rec/cont to the Hummer and have even started to fit it to the Thunderbird with all the problems the unit has.

If any of you guys are interested I can supply you with the new style rec/cont. Just get in touch with me via pm and I will be pleased to help.

I would be interested in your feed back and urge you guys who are still having problems with these helis email colco direct or they will think it is only me who has problems! I am not to sure if I should give out their email in this thread but their contact details are at
http://www.colco.com.cn/EN/contact.aspx

Regards, lostman.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37782.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	546371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73526.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	546372  
Old 10-23-2006, 04:27 AM
house of paint

roy amstang : Do you have a manual? It should answers your questions. I might have a manual in PDF

Polyzg: Sounds as like the RX107 unit stopped working in your case (motor driving unit)

In my case its different, the servos and the motors dont react at all. The servos only twitch when I turn on and off the reciever but they dont respond to the controls at all otherwise. I guess it is also the RX107 unit (the recieving and mixing part of it). When I turn on the red LED in the middle (GAIN) just blinks all the time and so does the one on the Gyro and then nothing more happens. I seem to have the new version of the unit because I have 3 leds (gree, red, green)

At first I thought it was the Xtals but I have changed them and tripplechecked everything else. I am sure and now I almost that its the RX107 unit so I can just replace the damn thing. I have reported to Colco to see if they have any former experience of this and what the problem could be, but they havent replied.

lostman: thanks for contributing to this thread with your knowledge and spare parts offer. We really appreciate it and spare parts dealers is really needed for the Lynx.
What is burnt in the reciever: http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...14/Bw73526.jpg is it the diod or the 2 8-pinned FET circuits? Can you see?

I wonder if there is something that you say that ISN'T in the manual that can help out other users like:

What types of crystals (xtals) can be used?
How is the RX107 connected (which connection goes excatly where)?
When initialising, in what sequence does the LEDs blink or light?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 AM
house of paint

Here is the Dark Knight 2D & 3D manual (Dark Knight 3D is original Colco Lynx 380 with another label):
The manual is more a general explode and connecting manual.

http://images.hobbytron.com/2-3.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/4-5.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/6-7.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/8-9.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/10-11.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/12-13.pdf
http://images.hobbytron.com/14-15.pdf

Here is the REELY Whisper 3D manual (original Colco Lynx 380 with another label sold by www.conrad.de):
The manual is an excellent end user manual!

http://www2.produktinfo.conrad.com/d...e-en-fr-nl.pdf
Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 AM
lostman

Well the manual as you all know is somewhat lacking.

OK I know most of you here are experienced model heli pilots but I think it is worth describing the correct way to power up your Lynx for those new to the hobby or having problems. Some of my customers swear blind about having done x,y & z as instructed and when the heli is returned to us 'faulty' it works perfectly well when we test it by operating it correctly.

1: Make sure the transmitter is switched OFF.
2: On the transmitter make sure the 3D and the pitch adjustment switches are in the OFF position (switch away from you or forward)
3: On the transmitter make sure the throttle lever AND (you do see the word AND dont you?? :-)) it's trimmer are in the fully OFF position (left stick and trimmer all the way down)
4: ONLY with the transmitter in this state can it be switched on. Switch it on now, you will hear an audiable 'beep'.
5: Now insert the battery into the helicopter. The red LED on the receiver/controller will start to flash.
6: Do not touch or hold the heli. Wait for the red LED stop flashing, this may take a minute or two.
7: You should now be able to fly your Lynx.

THIS IS THE ONLY WAY YOUR HELI WILL START. IT WILL NOT START USING ANY OTHER PROCEDURE. If your servos work but not the motors it is probably because you are not operating as above or the rec/cont is U.S.

Just a few other things to watch out for for those having problems.

1: Check the rx crystal is inserted correctly. It is easy to think it is installed right when in fact it is not. This can cause the symptoms you are talking about aswell. Take it out and reinsert it.
2: Make sure the battery lead is good and is pushed fully into the socket on the rec/cont
3: Make sure the aerial is fully extended

Hope that helps. lostman
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 AM
house of paint

6: Do not touch or hold the heli. Wait for the red LED stop flashing, this may take a minute or two.
Hmmm I thought it was a 4-5 seconds procedure and not 1-2 minute. That one was new for me even if I have waited over 5-10 minutes in my case.

Does the Green LEDs ever turn ON or what?
In my case it all started when I found that BOTH Xtals where TX Xtals from factory. Both Xtals where simply TX crystals with the same frequency.
I was first sure that this was the problem. So I bought a RX FM Single Band Xtal with the same freq and it didnt work out. So I bought a matched TX-RX xtal pair for the Honey Bee CP2 (which I am sure should work with Colco TX and RX) but it didnt work out. Then I suspected that the Throttle control potentiometer maybe didnt recognize the control in the bottom. Nope that was ok. Well, I see nothing else than the RX107 then. I hope I am right and that I dont replace it when its not really needed. hmm this is killing me
Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 AM
lostman

Please find attached some diagrams of how the rec/cont is wired as comes from the factory. I think it is pretty clear, my customers seem to be able to follow it ok.

lostman

Name:	Fd90901.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	546399   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44691.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	546400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68191.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	546401  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 AM
house of paint

excellent! thanks for the contribution lostman. Your customer service is state of the art.

While checking my RX107 I got distracted and was then unsure if I connected it back correctly. Thanks to you I could veryfi that I connected it back correctly.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:01 AM
lostman

I have taken some photos of stock rec/cont for your reference.

house of paint. The small chip shown in the previous photo that had come off the board you can clearly see in the 'chips-on-board' image in the top right hand corner. It is marked M7. I have no idea what it is.

I have deliberatley left the images large scale so you techy types maybe can get some clues.

When you power up the only LED that should light is the central one. This can be red or green depending on the position of the sun in the sky over the factory at the time when the board is made, or something :-) Then when this LED remains on the LEDs either side should then light when the throttle is operated.

Hope that helps, Lostman.

Name:	Jh16578.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	546430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15436.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	546431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78573.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	546432  
Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 AM
house of paint

The M7 components are Diods and the two 8-pined components are FET transistors for driving the motors.
If the old board was the only one around and if it costed like $80 one could instead fix the board himself by replacing the diods and the FETs.
Honey Bee owners have the same problem with their 4-in-1 unit from E-Sky. It is a pain in the ass but at its best it can be fixed for a few dollars by oneself. Its not fun with surface mounted components.

However, now when there is a new and improved board and the price is like $35-40(?) for a new one and you longman can deal and distribute it, there is no point in fixing old boards. Its much much better to simply buy the new improved board from you.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 AM
house of paint

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...14/Fd90901.jpg
Shouldent it say, black to front? The tail motor contact can be put in both ways but the battery connected is designed and capable of only connecting it in one way and that is black to front.

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...14/To44691.jpg
Shouldent it say, Note: If wires are black, red & white the black wires go towards the front of the heli
Usually the cable from the Gyro is black, red & white that goes to Channel2. If white is towards the front that its the only contact from all the 6 channels that is connected up-side-down?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 AM
lostman

Yes you are right about the battery connection. It should be BLACK to the front. The red, white, black wiring I will check if I can find an old heli around.

lostman
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 AM
polyzg

Dear lostman,

Thank you very much for you suggestions. I followed them exactly and it worked!!!
I seems that probably I was doing 2 mistakes.
One is that maybe the throttle and the trimmer wasn't completely close and the other (most probable) i was holding the heli with my hands, so maybe the gyro was getting crazy...

I appreciate your help.

polyzg
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 AM
house of paint

You already saved a poor soul thanks to your instructions, perfect
I gave mine heli a last try yesterday but I still have the same problem. Well next try will be in 10 days or so with a new RX107. Ill post the results and hope for the best.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 AM
lostman

polyzg, glad to be of service
Old 10-25-2006, 02:25 AM
house of paint

I see a contradiction in the instructions:

http://images.hobbytron.com/12-13.pdf Says that Servo1=LeftRear (the one behind the main motor) and then 4=RightFront, 6=RightRear

http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...14/To44691.jpg Says something else. Servo6 and Servo1 are in opposite places when comparing.

Lostman can you please verify which one is correct and which one is incorrect?
Does the servo behind the motor on the left side go to CH1 or CH6?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:12 AM
lostman

Yes I see. But their instrutions are in fact wrong and er, crap. Mine are correct and I just double checked at great inconvenience with a new one here[8D] Look at the way the rec/cont is fitted, twisted though 180 degrees to how it is fitted now. Look there is no gyro on the front, the motor is different, the swash is plastic, they have trimmer screws where there are now LEDs, etc and so forth.

Should be as the diagram http://image2.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...14/To44691.jpg

LH Rear servo = servo1 = channel 6 in rec
RH Rear servo = servo6 = channel 1 in rec
RH Front servo = servo4 = channel 4 in rec

Hope that clarifies it.

lostman
Old 10-25-2006, 04:15 AM
lostman

oh unless you really do have a Lynx that looks like that of course then it is probably correct!!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 AM
house of paint

ORIGINAL: lostman

oh unless you really do have a Lynx that looks like that of course then it is probably correct!!
ofcourse not thanks once again for clarifying!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:11 AM
roy amstang

thanks for the reply..really useful for me..
Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
polyzg

Dear Lostman,

Inside the box of LYNX ther is a training kit (some orange balls with black plastics). Do you have any idea how can I use them?
they told me that in the begining it is good to use them not to damage it, but I cannot understand how and where to put them.
thanks in advance

ORIGINAL: lostman

polyzg, glad to be of service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.