Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Help problem with tail servo

Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Helikiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help problem with tail servo

Hi I have just got my walkera 36 a week ago and first thing I did was set it up from a forum on this site straight out of the box.
Got the swash plate level, centered the tail rotor making sure all the servos are all at 90 degrees, all my trims on transmitter are set in the middle. I turned on the TX and plugged in the battery on the chopper and the tail rotor goes to the center then if I move the tail rotor on the TX and let go the servo slowly goes fully one way and buzz's staying there. When you go to fly it seem's to work alright is this normal?

2. when going to lift off after setting it up as above I find I have to trim aileron 3/4 to the right to stop it going to the left and couple of clicks forward to stop it going back what have I done wrong.

These things are confusing can someone help me as it is easy to get lost with all this.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:26 AM
cyclicoverload

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help problem with tail servo

Try turning the AVCS off and run the gain about 50%, your ship is probably nose heavy adjust the batt to balance the heli on the flybar. if you cant dont worry just move the trims so it stays still and then reset the swash plate to where the trims are then recenter the trims. So the swash plate is in the position of where the trims were moved to before you put the trims at center.Does that make sense??? i just re read it and i dont know???LOL. It will need little things like that to make it as steady as it can be,nothing is wrong that is how you do it.The tail rotor blows air to the right so the ship will drift left you have to adjust for that by putting a little right cyclic in the swash plate adjustment.
I hope that helps and if you need anything else just ask.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Helikiwi

HI thanks for that and I have gone a bit further, I set the tail to center and servo to 90 and that has got rid of the buzz, TX trim to center, on lift off I have to hold quite a bit of right to stop chopper from turning. I had struck the tail rotor the other day on a plastic bin
and had to replace the gear set part 26 as it stripped. Have I done something to rotor assemblely? it all looks fairly straight?

Second problem on lift off looking from the back of the chopper I have to trim aileron to the right to stop drift (swash plate down on the right hand side) so swash plate was nice and level but now have to trim to the right to hold steady how do I fix this?

Thank you for your help
Old 12-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Helikiwi

Also my battery seems quite well balanced on the machine so I don't think it is this throwing things out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:39 PM
cyclicoverload

Like i said the drift is normal just center the trim and adjust the links on the heli to pre tilt the swash plate in the direction the stops the drift. In order to be trimed right the heli's links on the swash plate will need to be adjusted. Do the same for the front and aft cyclic untill it lifts off as centered as it's going to get.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Helikiwi

Hi

Is there any way you can adjust the links above the swash plate so the plate will sit level and trims centered on Tx with no drift?

When taking off like I said above I have to give quite a bit of right to hold tail will this go away when flying or do I have to trim it right over giving me less right and more left travel?

Also whats the point in leveling swash plate and centering tail if I have to adjust them all out of line again to get it to lift off straight?

For give my ignorance as I am a newbie who jumped in and bought a 36 6 channel thinking I will pick this up through persistance only to find this site afterward which explains what I should not have done. But if you can help me trim this thing up ready to fly after I have learnt to fly the vortex 37 4 channel I have just ordered.

Thank you.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:01 PM
cyclicoverload

You have to center every thing becuse you need to start somewhere, you have to have a base line to adjust aginst. You cant just have everthing willy nilly and start makeing adjustments here and there, got to start in the middle.Yes you will need to trim for more right than left it will turn left on its own the tourqe will do that for you. You have to fight the tourqe to turn right so you will need more throw that way. And no you cant adjust anything above the swashplate that will effect cyclic only collective. It matters not that the swashplate is not level only that the heli lifts off level.
Do the same adjusting that you are doing on the main rotor to the tail rotor. Find the spot where it(the heli) stays stright and adjust the linkage so the tail rotor stays there after you put the trim in the center.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Helikiwi

Thank you for your help cyclicoverload it is nice to have people like yourself to help.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:57 PM
cyclicoverload

You are welcome its no problem at all, just ask if you need any thing else.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Jellyson

Your Walkera came with a gyro didn't it? That will complicate setting up the rudder (tail rotor pitch and tail servo) a little bit.
But you have to start somewhere like cyclic said.
Think of it like this: the heli is a fairly heavy thing, but in the air, it is sitting on a frictionless air bearing. It only takes a tiny push to get it to start sliding one way or the other, but the rotor head is capable of pushing it really hard in any direction. So the heli will drift and slide and bob around because of the push of the tail rotor, turbulence in the air, and slop in the linkages, and who knows what else. As you try to keep it in one place, your control inputs will inevitably be a little slow, so you will actually be pushing the helicopter the wrong way, or at the wrong time, so you will wind up correcting for your corrections.
Therefore, helicopters are impossible to fly. QED.
No, wait...
Old 12-23-2006, 01:07 AM
cyclicoverload

It's called PIT "Pilot Induced Turbulance" As we all know the helicopter dosent crash it's self the pilot does.