Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

My R22E that doesnt fly... PLZ HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

My R22E that doesnt fly... PLZ HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:00 AM
IFlyaHeliChopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My R22E that doesnt fly... PLZ HELP!

Hello everyone!

I just got into the RC Heli universe! I am very versed with real helicopter flight and what not, anyways, without doing too much research I purchased a R22E Dragonfly off Amazon that was supposed to be "new in box and RTF"

Well, it wasnt

it was clearly used, and after a rigorous charging of the battery cells (well over 8-10 hours) I can get all function out of the bird EXCEPT the rotors do not spin, BUT, when i disconnect the battery from the Input box (i dont know the correct term for where all the servos plug in) and plug the battery directly into the motor, the blades spin JUST fine! (smacked myself good with em too!)

What is the deal anyone? I am currently deployed to Iraq and me and my buddies had been waiting on this thing with giggles of delight for quite some time, now we are all just depressed and feel ripped off.

Any help or links to where I can find a manual and assembly grid would ALSO be helpful, incase the old owner dicked with anything

OH YEAH, that reminds me, the nice guy also neglected to send the helicopter with a Manual, That was the real knife in the back :/

I am half curious if these problems arent just from me not knowing how to turn it on, so if you know where i can find an online manual please let me know (also, as a side note, a friend who said he knew alot about RC crap, messed with where all the wires are plugged into the controller box, I think i uncluster *(*#ed em, but i dont nkow for sure, as I dont know crap!)
Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 AM
scorp27

Default RE: My R22E that doesnt fly... PLZ HELP!

here is the best manual for the 22e if the R22E is the walkera 22e http://www.venom-group.com/print_mot...R3D_Manual.pdf. Check to make sure the throttle stick is all the way in the down position and the little slider that goes up and down next to the throttle is all the way down.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 AM
IFlyaHeliChopter

hey, im gonna go back to my chu and try that next, also i tried to use the clicky link you posted, but i got a Page Does Not Exist error, any other sites have a manual for the Walkera R22E?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 AM
IFlyaHeliChopter

hey, i found the manual, i copied it to my thumb drive and will be reaiding over it quite thoroughly for the next hour or so, once i finish ill try turning the rotors over again, also, is there a way I can find a wiring Layout print somewhere? I found a break down of the part assembly, but not the wiring assembly.

Thanks alot Scorp!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:27 PM
chopperdown

IFlyaHeliChopter , could be a problem with your charger. I had to change the power adapter because it was not charging the battery. The stock battery should take a little over an hour to charge. Once charged the green light should come on and the batteries should be nice and warm. With my charger the green light came on after 20 mins of charging and the batteries were cold. Figured they weren't charged so i changed the power adapter and all was fine. In case your not sure, your charger has 2 lights, one is the power light (red) and the other is red when charging and green when charged.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 AM
IFlyaHeliChopter

ok here is my current status

after looking at some pics of the stock Walkera R22E Dragonyfly, the one i was sent was NOT stock, my battery charger AND batteries are NOT stock, the Reciever is NOT stock (though it is 6 channel still) there is a Gyro box right behind the rotors which si NOT stock and is also STRIPPED of the adjustment holes (super sweet)

I do not THINK its the battery, because when i plug it into the Motor directly from the Battery (not into the reciever) the engine starts RIGHT up and then maintains a pretty good idle for as long as i leave it in there...and my battery i was given AND the charger do not have Charge Level indicators, so im screwed there...

Anyone else have any help they can offer? (and also a wiring from the servos to the reciever layout would be EXTREMELY helpful as I think this is my issue at hand.)

Mac
Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
jtspin

Can you post some pictures of what you have?

-JT
Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 PM
IFlyaHeliChopter

Yes, I will try to post some pictures as soon as I can, as i said before, I am currently stationed in Iraq, and its a long wait just to get online, much less the slow ass bandwith it takes to upload just one picture, but I will try to work something out for sure!

I appreciate all the help everyone has offered so far, will try to get some pictures up asap so yall have a better idea what im dealing with.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:03 PM
IFlyaHeliChopter

here is a pic, i have unplugged all the wires going to the servo now because my friend dicked em up when he was trying to troubleshoot it, that and one of the wires (i believe its the one coming from the rudder servo, directly underneath the Gyro box, and the end connecter is the 2nd from the left) , the white wire pops out, so i have to take it to Commo and see if they will sodder it back in.

here is a pic of the reciever box, as far as i have seen in all of the stock pictures of other Walkera R22E's, this is not the same, also the Gyro box is not on the other models I have seen, so I am very lost right now as to what to do to troubleshoot my dud Dragonfly

Please help anyone if you can, I am misrable over here in iraq, this helicopter was supposed to be a HUGE "Pick Me Up" for me and my room-mates.

Thanks again!

Mac

Oh yeah, heres a pic of the helicopter wired as it was, you can see where all the wires go and what not, just as a reference incase anyone has any suggestions....

Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

That is not a walkera. Looks like a honeybee king or something similar. http://www.heliguy.com/Electric-RC-H...up2=Main-Group

This ( http://www.walkera.com/en1/particular.jsp?pn=Z322E0104 ) is a stock 22E. A stock 22E doesn't come with a lipo, a tail servo, external gyro...or a seperated swashplate, coat of filth and dirt... I would say you were lied to.

If your motor does indeed work when you put a direct current to it then that probably isn't the problem. To get it going you might just need to replace the swashplate ( http://store.yahoo.com/raidentech168/sppad2.html ) and the receiver, ( http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Walkera-36-R...QQcmdZViewItem ) which is actually for a 36. The HM-036-Z-39 receiver is a 6 channel, it's probably been used for that heli for the tail servo control. Stock 22E has an actual motor for the tail rotor. I wouldn't fiddle with anything else until you replaced those two parts. Oh, and DON'T spool up the main rotor with the swashplate like that, you could tear it up.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:58 PM
jtspin

It's not a 22E, it's a 22A. See this:

http://mivasecure.abac.com/toyhaus/m...y_Code=rceheli

I can't help you with a manual. Walkera isn't exactly known for their good documentation. Assuming the channel assignments are the same as the 22E, the front servo goes to channel 1, the back left servo goes to channel 2, and the back right servo goes to channel 6. I'm pretty sure the gyro connects to channel 4 (and the tail servo connects to the gyro).

A few things you may or may not know about powering up everything (excuse me if you know this already):
Make sure the throttle stick on the Tx is fully down and, if you have a "Flight Mode" switch on the Tx, make sure the switch is in the "N" position.
Always turn on your Tx before you connect the battery to the helicopter.
The LED on the RX-602 will flash while it's intializing and then should go solid (if it's the same as the 22E). The gyro may do the same thing.
Don't move the heli until the LEDs go solid.

You should get your servo/gyro wiring sorted out with the main motor disconnected. As was already pointed out, your swash plate has come apart. You can try to just press it back together. It may or may not hold. If it comes apart again, you can try a drop of CA (superglue) to hold it, but make sure you don't get any on the bearing.

This manual, for the Walkera 39, has some information on the gyro and RX-602, but it's a different heli than the 22A.
http://www.walkera.com/en1/fileDown....expe.pdf&la=en

Hope this helps. Good luck!
-JT

edited out some incorrect info
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM
GreenRacer

Woo looks like I was wrong on a few things.. I thought the 22E was a revised version of the 22A. Sorry, my bad.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
IFlyaHeliChopter

Yes, after looking at the link , it is DEFINETLY a 22A...

i reset all the servo connections and it did not yield again....anyone with one of these talk me thru exact start up? Man it makes me mad these dont have a detailed manual..oh yeah, i got ahold of the person i bought it from and they said it doesnt come wit ha manual, argh!

i am going to also place an order for a swashplate and reciever, i dont know how to fix the swashplate manually :X and the closest thing to glue we have over here is Shoe Goo, which is hard to work with in "fine doses"

any other suggestions? im thinking right now it might be the reciever...hopefulyl im wrong, it will be a while till i can get a new one..
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
GreenRacer

Swashplate is easy, just take your time disassembling/dismounting the head so you know how to put it all back together. Gluing it really isn't that easy to do even with superglue and it will probably just come apart again so replacing it is your best bet with that.

The startup is simple on these helis. Turn on the transmitter, make sure the throttle is all the way DOWN then plug the power into the receiver. It may take a few moments for it to initialize then you are set. If it isn't working then something isn't right. I have a 36, and i just looked at the receiver on mine (same receiver as yours) and you have something plugged into the #3 channel. #3 is for an external speed controller. Are you sure you have everything hooked up right? Trace all your connections and make sure they are correct.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:06 PM
walkera22e

did u like spray paint the thing?
Old 09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
mksubaru

hello my friend, ben in iraq so first of all best of luck for all of you, the swashplate its easy just press it an it will go back to place, mine some times came of in hard landing, for the manual you can also go to the site of walkera, you can find it there... sorry but this is the best i can do for you, i leave the rest to GreenRacer, hope you can fly it soon. by the way Brazilian are not very trustfull...