Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

4#3 a good beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
dakrwolf29a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4#3 a good beginner?

I'm looking for something small to get me further into the hobby, i.e. without spending a small fortune oin a heli I can only fly for a few months out of the year.

I live Green Bay, WI...,and summer is waining. So, I want something small. I live in an apartment. Is the 4#3 the way to go? Or is there something else I should consider? I have a Havos...which only served to wet the appetite for a real heli.

THanks for any info you can impart.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Tedstrickland
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 4#3 a good beginner?

I recommend you start with a Walkera 5#10 co-ax, 2.4 ghz. It is soooo stable, you will be flying indoors within 2 minutes. I have modded several, and my favorite is the 5#10 with the #53 landing gear (much stronger and wider foot-print) and added a blade cx2 canopy. For extra bling, a Radio Shack blinking LED runs directly off the 3.7V pack, and is very easily installed in the canopy using the T1 3/4 (5mm) mount. The 2.4 gHz is a must indoors, as you don't have the large antenae to deal with. I fly this heli in a very small room...with no problem....just stay away from the walls...as all heli experience a wall effect, similar to "ground effect" and tend to "suck-in" close to walls. I have some cool blade-strike "modern art" on my drywall

Happy (soft) landings.....Ted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84763.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1005912  
Old 08-07-2008, 04:35 AM
skyrip69

I would go with a 4#3b and a simulator. the 4#3b flies very stable and is great to learn on because it is so durable. you can crash and fly it again...cheap parts and if you can fly this one you can fly any heli later on down the road. The heli above is cool and it will be easy to fly but it is not like flying a 4 or 6 channel heli. This will give you the full experience.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Tedstrickland

I agree, for the full 4ch tail rotor learning the 4#3B is good, but not nearly as stable as the larger Dragonfly 4 and its upgrades the 4G1A and 4G1B. Moving up from 2CH Havocs, and flying indoors, the 4G1B is a bit big. I just thought that a co-ax would be a good learning bird, and you can gain experience and confidence very quickly. The 4#3B can be a bit frustrating 'cause it is so skittish, so I also agree that a simulator is a very good idea. There is a good adapter that connects the WK2401 TX to a USB port available from DealExtreme for about $9. The FMS is free to download...

Happy Flying, Ted
Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 AM
skyrip69

I do want one of those co-axl heil's. They seem to fly great. wonder what the biggest co-axl is.?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Tedstrickland

Biggest Electric heli I know of is the 450mm size, as seen on the walkera #53 series, new 53Q or Exceed Blazing Star. I await the release of the new 53#8, boom style.

The Art-Tech MD500 is also similarly sized...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:53 AM
dakrwolf29a

I have the alpha simulator for the Mac. It seems to be the only version that's Mac compatible.

Thanks for the ideas peeps...keep them coming.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:03 AM
skyrip69

I googled the aplha and it did not come up with anything..Where do you get it? I have a mac and would like to not have to always go back to my PC to use realflight. Lost my cd or I would install bootcamp and run it...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM
skyrip69

oh, super cool I found my G3 cd's and am going to try to install it on my imac. I am going to try bootcamp and see how it goes. Will post update for anyone who cares about MAC. I downloaded the Alpha for mac but don't like it compared to realflight.

Todd
Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM
dakrwolf29a

Definitely post up the deatils of your install. I haven't used Bootcamp or Windows on the Mac yet, since I don't really need it for much.

But, I would be interested in the details...because it's seeming like I need to do it soon. All the GOOD sims are on Windows.