Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera #38

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 PM
seadog-chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Walkera #38

Klutch,

I sent the directions again, sorry it took so long. If I wasn't clear enough you can call and I can walk you through it.

Seadog
Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
LEOIII

After a few flights now on it with the adjustments on it now it's a little better going forward although I find it needs a lot of throttle after the forward/bakwards servo kicks in.The supposedly unbreakable blades are crap and are no better than the stock blades and I fly over grass and sand but besause it is quite tippy even on the best of landings if you are not quick off the throttle the blades hit the ground and split. It does need some more adjustments to become hands off hover like my CX2. It does look impressive in the air and will probly look even better after I add some lights.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:07 PM
seadog-chief

I made training gear for mine. I used a piece of foam rubber pipe insulation around the landing gear wheels. It is very light weight, on the rear it is about 12" wide extending past the side pods about 2 1/2" and about 1 1/4" wide on the nose strut, It helps tremendously in preventing the tipping problem. The big reason it wants to tip on landing is that most of the weight of this 2lb helicopter is above the center of gravity, It is top heavy.

LOL
SeaDog
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
znadler

I am relatively new to the RC world and own the W#38.  I crashed and although there is no visible damage to the motors/boards, it won't operate.  When I plug the batt in, I get the 'binding' movement but from that point, it doesn't respond to the transmitters controls.  Can anybody help me to identify the problem by going through a process of elimination?  I'll be 'down' in August recovering from surgery and since my regular job is riding around the Sonoran desert training people on off-road and tactical firearms, I will have MUCH crazy time to expend and thought of no better way than by enhancing my helo skills ;-)
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM
seadog-chief

Sorry to hear about the crash. Check all connections, make sure the throttle and trim are all of the way down before turning on the transmitter if it doesn't work try leaving the heli battery connected while turning off and back on the transmitter. Other than that my guess would be that the speed controller or the receiver has burnt out.

LOL
Ron
Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
LEOIII

I bought the Spectrum DX6i transmitter.The Walkera receiver dosent seem to bind to it. Does anyone have an idea which Spectrum receiver might work best on it?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
BENJY D

Hi Chaps,

Newbie to this site, so hope you don't mind me butting in for some advice??

Just recieved my walkera 38 in the post (2weeks late - thanks Royal Mail.)
Managed a couple of hops,including a few blade strikes to the floor, as topples easily.) As I power up all fine until about 1/8th up the throttle, power cuts out of the top blades and they promptly drop down into the lower set with a crunch. I'm a relative newbie at this, having just got the hang of my Esky Kob, and have less knowledge of electrics/mechanics than a toad! The gears don't seem to be slipping and tried holding the heli upside down and using rudder whilst powering up and the the top rtors respond so they are recieving power from the servo's/transmitter.

Any ideas?????

Please forgive the long-winded message and lack of technical knowledge.....

Thanks alot in advance,

Ben
Old 10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
seadog-chief

You are probably trying to bring speed up too slowly. The 38 has a heading gyro which controls the top rotor speed to keep it flying straight. When running sitting on the ground the helicopter is not trying to change directions as it would while flying so if you power up too slowly, the top rotors slow or stop. If you cycle the rudder control they will start again. With this paticular heli you have to power up for launch purposfully quicker.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
BENJY D

Thanks alot Seadog!!
All the Best,
Ben.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

How do these do in light wind like 5MPH? Are they that much harder to fly then the single coaxial helicopters? Thinking about getting one.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
seadog-chief

The 38 will fly in very light winds. It is a very heavy bird and is top heavy, so it needs checked before each flight to make sure everything is tight. I love the looks of the Walkera 38 but it is unstable in flight and wants to tip over on landing and break blades. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and have more repair time on it than flying time. I just got an eflite mCX Tandem Rescue which is the same type (4 ch Tandem CH46) The mCX is smaller and can be flown inside and I expect it to do pretty well outside on calm days, but I haven't tried yet. It flies great and is very stable. I would recommend the eflite Tandem Rescue over the Walkera 38 any day, I have both and the eflite handle so much better than any other cx tandems out there that there is really no comparrison at this time.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 PM
rich64

I'm planning on buying a CH46 from XHELI, but I'm not overly happy with the choice of fuselage schemes and colors. I'm thinking of painting mine in US NAVY colors. Does anyone sell a clear fuselage or can I paint the outside with enamel paint? Also I'm hearing alot about tipping and crashing on landing. Would a counter weight added to the bottom help to balance this helicopter?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:45 AM
seadog-chief

I assume you are talking about the Exceed heli. It is the same as the Walkera 38 except for paint scheme and no metal upgrades. They can be painted check LHS for type of paint, some people have had problems with certain paints not sticking to the plastic and some paints will melt the plastic. I haven't seen any clear bodies for any of the tandems. Adding weight will reduce flying time,and cause it to run hotter. I got a piece of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot and made my own training gear (about 10" wide around rear landing gear , and 1 1/2" wide around nose wheel. It saved a lot of blades by preventing most tip overs while I was learning the heli. I also have the little 9058 H-47 that Xheli sells, it doesn't do bad about tipping,but is hard to get trimmed right and is touchy / unstable in flight, however I havn't broken any blades. I have found the mCX Tandem to be much easier to fly, control and it doesn't have the problems that the others have. LOL[8D]
ORIGINAL: rich64

I'm planning on buying a CH46 from XHELI, but I'm not overly happy with the choice of fuselage schemes and colors. I'm thinking of painting mine in US NAVY colors. Does anyone sell a clear fuselage or can I paint the outside with enamel paint? Also I'm hearing alot about tipping and crashing on landing. Would a counter weight added to the bottom help to balance this helicopter?
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
LEOIII

Get the Blade Mcx Tandem from Eflite.I got one for Christmas and it flies excellent . It still is a little tippy on take off or landings but the blades dont break. I launch mine right out my hand something I would never do with my Walkera 38. Will handle minor hits no problem. Am not too crazy about the yellow color but I'm sure somebody will sell upgrade bodies sooner or later. Plus it binded to my Dx6i transmitter in about 10 seconds. Doesent like wind like any coaxil heli but flies in the house just fine.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM
46u

I have the MCX S300, standare MCX on the way and the MSR. I am waiting for a BNF to come on on the MCX Tandem to come out. Best indoor helicopters I have had so far.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM
seadog-chief

I agree, I have mCX, mCX S300, mSR, mCX Tandem Rescue, 2 CX's, Walkera 38, DF4, DF68, and DF4-3B. My FAVORITE IS the mCX Tandem Rescue. The 38 is Not near as stable and even though it weighs 2lbs it does not do well with wind and when it tips or crashes it breaks things. If you are too slow at taking off the top rotors will slow or stop rotating causing blade strikes. Agressive turns will also cause blade strikes. Too big for in house but not designed for outside with wind. either one will only come RTF at this time, so the mCX Tandem is better in my mind.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 PM
46u

I only have 8 aircraft right now but have well over 40 hobby grade RC vehicles. [X(]
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
LEOIII

The 38 looks good in the air but doesent like to be moved around alot.The Msr on the other hand flies like a dragonfly. Quick and if you get in trouble just take your hands of the controles and it hovers to a stop.It also seems not to break eaither.The Tandom Mcx moves with decient control but no where as fast as the Msr. The contrast in size between my 38 and Tandom Mcx is cool . I need to get a shot of them both in the air at the same time.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Skoaler

Man.. look and read this review- pretty bad but it does let you know what you gethttp://www.helipal.com/product_revie...n-battery.html However I just got mine though and I had a great flight on my first lift off outside. The wind was very minimal and it could not keep forward flight so I had to land it before it went into the tree line.. I did a 6 yr stint in the USMC in a recon unit so I had to have one of these no matter if it was any good or what .. the memories I guess.. I jumped,rappelled and spie rigged out of perfect working real ones so I just had to have an RC one. It does take a gymnasium or a rare no breeze outside though with no crashes or the blades break and the gear breaks.. I think the money is made on the parts instead of the product..so be ready for that if you like to fly this thing hard
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 PM
LEOIII

There is a viedo on Youtube that shows you how to make all the adjustments to make it fly resonable. It does look good in the air once you get a handle on it. I have riden in them too when I was in the Marines. I sugest you grt lots of blades because this thin is tippy no mater how good a pilot you are.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Skoaler

New style blades for the 38

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110513928954
Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
killbucket

See this thread before you purchase these "bladez" Skoaler sells...[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231714[/link]
Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
killbucket

Really, this is important.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
killbucket

I am multi-posting this at my own membership risk, to WARN other members about this guy:

I order a set to evaluate, and he wants to post all of this qualifying hogwash:

Originally Posted by Skoaler
I do require that your 400 be (right outta the box) though as even any slightest recent tip over crashes or personal repairs or modifications could result in strange vibrations with unseen (bent shafts) or different fuses ect.. you could post. You will show them on a brand new walkera 400 out of the box.. or you have 7 days for a refund. Or you keep them and show them on your used one and we continue into nowhere land.. They go out tomorrow.. ThankX

Originally Posted by Skoaler

Its ok.. go ahead and test on used helis.. There are things to learn..I admit.. to help. I also repeat that I will never post any more links or threads about them..please do not tear your heli up though.. the 400 blades are (not) 100% death dive proof..A batch of orders go out this evening.. USPS first class is very fast..To keep the blades at the cheapest price possible the go out in vanilla envelopes in bubble wrap and newspaper..A mail man could step on one..so there could be some scuffs..but it is not a beauty contest. To ship in a hard box would defeat the shipping price.. I also never hold anyone to the 7 day return policy..nor do you have to return them after money back. Ebay has no other options..I just said that earlier..I take it back

Source:[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405456&page=5#post18189306[/link]

Must consider all previous customers to be idiots...Me, I get all kinds of Hem-Haw outta him.

This was after I'd asked him many times to stop spamming forums with his adverts for these.
Many people on other forums have given this guy the biz, but he continues to try to hawk these blades made of ordinary PVC pipe.

I do intend to show them with the parent material, so there can be no mistake as to their shoddy and dangerous origin.