Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walkera #38

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walkera #38

I have one of the new Walkera #38 heli's. I love it so far but am still learning to fly it. Walkera is calling it a CH-47 Chinook, It is actually a CH-46 Sea Knight. It is a little more difficult to control than a single X rotor heli and more powerful, but I am beginning to get the hang of it. Does anyone else have one? If so please share your experiences with it.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Walkera #38

HI there seadog-chief yea your not alone.i like mine fun to fly and sure gets the looks.this has been my exprience the set up was easy to get it to hover and i was flying it alot but i should have been going over it after each flight.because in mid flight the swashplate separated, the front one CRASH...goodthing i have had many a CRASH so no big deal and $90 latter im just about ready to crash i mean fly again!heres the low down i got mine at miraclemart but i get my parts at chinesejade it took about 9days, now through a blog i was told to put the swashplate back together with loctite sleeve retainer 640 the blog said some of the heli kits come with a tube of it, don't know never heard of it but it sounds like it will work.the little balls on the swashplate are in buy just a few turns loctite on them would be a good idea too.let me know how it gos.
    can i crash here too why not i have crashed everywhere else
    Life can cripple your body But only you can cripple your spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi canicrashhere2,
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that crashes. I have broken about 8 blades, one of the landing gears and dropped one end of the battery box off the rail, the screw came out of it. I have been practicing with a Chinook on the simulator, it is not cx so I figure if I can control it I should be able to handle mine better. I have been getting parts from rc11.com on ebay. Had my blades and battery in 5 working days. I am in Newport News Virginia, unfortunately none of my local area hobby shops carry Walkera products. That seems odd to me since Walkera is supposed to be the most popular brand in the world. I have always liked the CH46 Sea Knight, I flew in one in the Navy and it was my favorite of all of the helo's that I worked with.
    Thanks for responding.
    Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

chief i was putting mine back together when i looked at the inside gears there are teeth gone on both, the outer gears are fine.when i went to find parts on rc11.com it shows a bunch of hobby shops is hobby-wing the one you use?if you have popped some blades your gears could be missing teeth maybe not.when i order i'm going to buy extra gears, a set is under 5bucks and they look cheap.by the way thanks for the info about the battery radio hook up thats not the way my blade and vortex helis work.but their not walkera and your way works so i'll go with it.let me know on the hobby shop, latter i'm going to go
    CRASH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HI.[8D]
    The ebay store is rc711-com, or RC711.com store. Parts are genuine Walkera. They come from china. The blades come with screws and nuts and are identicle to the ones that came on the heli. The price is low but the shipping brings it up to about what the other stores are charging. there are 4 blades (2 upper & 2 lower) in a set I bought 5 sets and a battery and saved on shipping. I would order a landing gear set too. I broke 1 and fixed it with CA but am going to order another. I plan to have a local heli pro help me with setup adjustments because it doesn't want to hover without rolling left and rear unless I fight it with the stick. It's been too windy to learn to fly it outside and I don't have enough space inside to comfortably hover it, I hovered into the wall in a panic. Its much larger than my Blade cx.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey chief BOY do i know about wall crashing.sometimes when i fly the kid in me comes out.i watch the heli in the air and i become mesmerized not always a goodthing when your in control if you know what i mean?The last crash of the twin, i had a couple of buddys watching you know im showing off when the heli falls from the sky,now did i inspect it to see why OH HECK NO i picked it up and tried to take right off and thats when the real damage happened.someday i will learn HELICOPTERS FLY BECAUSE THEIR MACHINES NOT BECAUSE THEIR MAGIC what was i thinking!! i know better but the kid in me wanted to show off.Great news you have someone to help with the set up i don't have any mentors the LHS is a joke their all about cars they have never given me any good info they sell more parts that way i guess. so this is where i get most of my info anything you can pass on will be greatly apprecated.the twin was spining counter clock wise and i stopped it be turning the screw that says mix clockwise getting the nose locked, i think is the first step then i watch to see what else is going on backing up ect. if its yawing left i move the stick right with no throttle and watch which way the swashplate rocks then adjust the servo linkage rod.on the twin the left side linkage rod is back and forward and the right rod is left and right but check it yourself i can be wrong and adjusting 2 servos at once may be tricky may be not. we will figure it out to me thats part of the fun.thanks for the hobbyshop info i'll try them out
    CRASH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bananahobby.com
    CA. USA
    HAS PARTS
    CRASH

have you got any info on how to keep the motors cool in this thing
    \"any crash you can walk away from is a good crash\" Launch pad Mcquack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have only flown it a few times for short hops. I haven't had any problem with overheating yet. You could put heat sinks on each motor to dissipate heat. I had to adjust swash plate linkages to be able to control movement in flight with any wind.

right on have u seen the trexx rexx im pretty interested in these but cant seem to find any info

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know i don't know for sure about cooling the motors but air flow inside the body has been discussed on a large thread on rcgroups.com about everything that has to do with a walkera 38 seems to have been covered.I personally like rc universe better it seems to be more user friendly.But theres alot of great guys and innovated people on the thread on groups.Their over the top when it comes to the 38.I have been into rc for just two years and they amaze me with their knowledge.One guy took two helicopters put them together and made his own CHINOOK useing the 38's body.When your on the thread be sure and check out posts by x-rayted he talks about air flow around the motors.
    well got to go
    CRASH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The twinn rexx is in rc heli mag out now january issue.It cost 275.00 for the TMP Twinn Rexx base kit, all together the mag says about 1688.00 with radio and all else they used to get it in the air
    CRASH

Got the #38 this weekend the body was damaged in shipping still havnt got a hold of xheli to see about a replacement the controller dosnt seem to be linking with the receiver quite right otherwise it flies pretty nice tuning the thing is a little tough took about a battery to get it right awsome looks deffinately worth it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my 38 from miracle mart all the body mounts were broke,the front wheels were broke off and the body itself was cracked.I sent them e-mails and they never got back to me.I also sent e-mails asking why i had to plug in the heli first and then the radio to get them to match and they didn't get back to me.Now i only do business with terence @chinesejade.com he will get back to you,only charges 5.00 shipping world wide and he is active on the threads.My heli suddenly started to match when i would plug the radio in first i don't know why.I can only guess maybe it runs through a bunch of misses till it finds the right path but now it matches up quick, it took alot of trys to get it to work
    going to go
    CRASH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new Walkera 38 and want to use Nicads for the Transmitter, but not sure how they charge in the transmitter with the charger available with kit. No comments in manual how to do it and I feel stupid
    just plugging the power to the tx with the batteries in it and no way to monitor it charging up. Any ideas?
    Mouth

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure about chargeing the batteries.I have not seen that one on a thread but if you go to rcgroups.com there is a large thread on the 38 and i'm sure someone will know the answer.Never feel stupid for asking any question thats what these forums are for!!!
    good luck
    CRASH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got a #38. Anyone else have problems with the upper blades stopping when you adjust the trim?

First flight out they stopped, lower blades shredded them and my craft dropped.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I gave up on the batteries charging in the transmitter and got a battery charger at radio shack to charge my double A's. So far this unit has worked well except I dropped it a little hard on a landing crash and had to order some wheels to replace the front wheels, they are hard plastic not rubber. It will be interesting to get the front one off to replace it. It appears to be snapped on and locked down. I tighten the blades a little tight, they still swing off center with a little effort by hand so if I hit something they give. But they appear to work fine. I have seen where when starting at one point the top set didn't move so quickly as the lower blades but with a boost of throttle they came into sync. I have had several flights all good. I had damage on the fuselage when I unwrapped it and the vendor ( Toysonics asked for a picture and said they would send me a replacement at no charge but will take 4 to 6 weeks to get it, we will see)..Have noticed a long time getting the TX and RX to sync and have powered off then on the TX and got it to work everytime.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have to be quick at plugging in the battery after turning the TX on. Once the TX stops flashing it will not bind, then you must turn off the TX and back on then it will bind. Be advised that if the battery becomes unplugged in flight, when you next plug it in the blades WILL spin until the TX and RX bind, I found that out the hard way with blade strikes cutting my arm.[&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made an inquiry to Walkera about the upper blades stopping. They responded.

Our technician replied that the problem mentioned in your email will be happend if you make more than one click movements offset the middle position on the rudder trim on flying like hover. The default position is located in the middle for rudder trim knob.

Now I know, I must have gone 2 clicks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seadog, How do you get those front broken wheels off the post? I have ordered replacements and would like to get the stub off before they arrive..also, where would be a good place to look and order some lights for this baby?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I broke one of the rear ones,but there is a slot in the side of the upper post with an angled tab in it. take a small screw driver and push in on the tab and pry the lower wheel post stub out of the bottom of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll give it a try. I went by my local hobby store yesterday and got a grand look at the twister Chinook. It is about the same price as the Walkera and a better product in many ways. It came with a free CD to load on your PC for flight training. Has a light on the fuselage to let you know when the battery is low so you should land. Has rubber wheels set of four for landing gear, they appear to be far easier to replace. The Blades are different and a little more rigid than the walkera. It also seems to handle a bit better in hovering...best part was the parts for it are available at the local hobby store as compared to having to order walkera parts over the I net...I think I would have bought it outright if had not already invested in my Walkera..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Twister is a 3 channel and the Walkera is a 4 channel. The Twister is a CH47 Chinook and the Walkera 38 is actually a CH46 Seaknight, even though they are calling it a Chinook. The Seaknight really has 3 sets of landing gears But the Chinook has 4. The bodies are different and the motors on the CH46 are inside the fuselage but are in external pods on the CH47. I would immagin the Twister would be easier because it is 3 channel and the way the frame is put together it has a lower center of gravity than the Walkera 38, causing it to be more stable in flight and especially during landing. I have heard a lot about the motors overheating on the Twister. I have 7 helis and none are perfect, at least none of the cheaper ones.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

try here for lights
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?&C=QHG&V=RAM
    they have all kinds
    CRASH