Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Introduction:
A lot peoples, including us love the 4#3 and 4G3 as these micro helicopter can be flown in the smallest possible space available. The transmitter which came with the kit offer only minimum adjustments. For more advance pilot would like to have more adjustment like exponential, throttle curve, pitch curve, mixings, etc. And it is a pain to carry lot of transmitters if you have a few of these Walkera helicopters. Walkera had come to the rescue with their new WK-2801 transmitter. With all the functions found in high end transmitter and compatible to all Walkera 2.4GHz helicopters, make this transmitter very desirable for pilot with few Walkera helicopters or if you are just looking for a good computerized 8 channel transmitter at a good price.

Features:
This radio have build in manual for both helicopter and airplane. This may come in handy if you fly both. Lot of new features are included with this top of the line model like large LCD display with backlight, Automatic ID assignment, 2.4GHz technology, Wireless data transfer, 8 model memories, airplane and helicopter ready, fail save, stick tension and length adjustment, trim step adjustment, timer, alarm, hot key adjustment, etc. For helicopter manual include 3 flight mode, ccpm mixing (normal, 2 servos or 3 servos 120° configuration, remote gyro adjustment, auto gyro sensitivity mixing, Throttle hold, manual or automatic dual rate and graphic exponential, 5 point throttle and pitch curve adjustment, program mixing, revo mixing, etc. For airplane manual wing selection for flaperon, v-tail or delta airplane, elevator flap mixing, aileron and rudder mixing, landing system, flap system, program mixing, etc.

Operation:
The transmitter feature a medium size grip with non slip surface for sure grip during operation. If you have a big hand like mine may prefer a bigger grip but I can still get a firm hold on the transmitter. All the switches and trims are located at the usual location so it doesn’t take long to get use to it. It weight 692g without battery and it feel very balance. During power up the Walkera logo will flash in varies colour indicate it had not bind with the helicopter yet. And will turn blue during normal operation.

The receiver that comes with the transmitter is RX-2801. 8 Channel receiver measure 39 x 28.5 x 14mm and weight 10g. Quite small for a 8 channel full range receiver. I don’t have any issue mounting it between the frame of my copterX CX 200. And it is a one piece unit so you do not have to worry about mount the remote antenna unit.

I tried this transmitter with 4#3b, 4G3, 200 and 450 size heli and did not have any lost of connection or glitch. I am very happy with this radio but it would be nice to have more model memories. As it have only 8 memories but with the wireless data transfer you can exchange setting between two 2801 transmitters wirelessly. Which may it very handy and you don’t have to worry about losing data pack or SD card.

Conclusion:
For the price and performance of this transmitter, the quality of the plastic molding and materials for the casing is simply superb. This is really a high end radio with entry level price. The only thing I can think of which need improvement is adding more model memories. But at such price I can have 2 of them and it is still cheaper then the radio I am using now.

PRO:
Price
Feature
Work with every Walkera 2.4G helicopter and normal 6 channel helicopter
CON:
Need more memories
Would be nice if it comes with rechargeable battery

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82885.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1109066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65181.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1109067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30863.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1109068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94428.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1109069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22491.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1109070  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Steve Joblin

Default RE: Walkera WK-2801 8ch Multifunctional Transmitter Review

Excellent review ehirobo! We very much you taking the time to fill us in on the details!

I think that this transmitter is what is needed to get these new Walkera helis the respect they deserve! I can't wait to get a metal head 4G3 with this new transmitter! You seem to the only one selling such a combination... is it a special that only you offer or will other merchants also be offering this combination?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:09 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Dear all:

This combo is straight from Walkera. Not a combo we put together ourselves. I believe we are one of the first shop to have this in stock.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM
KRL

ORIGINAL: ehirobo.com

Dear all:

This combo is straight from Walkera. Not a combo we put together ourselves. I believe we are one of the first shop to have this in stock.

Looks nice!! I need a new 2.4GHz system. Does this WK-2801 work with non-Walkera 2.4GHz receivers? Like Spektrum DSM2 2.4GHz receivers?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

Sorry as it work on different system I don't think it works with spektrum receiver. I tried it with Futaba receiver and it will not work. Will try to get more receivers from different brand and try it.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
HansV

The 2801 is a Walkera beefed-up version of the Spectrum DX7 and the JR DXR7. It has 8 channels versus 7 for the DX7 and I am not sure if it is compatible with the Spectrum DSM2 standard. It is however one of the nicer computer transmitters I have seen for a long time. Only problem is that all the nice features are only available in 2801 mode and not in 2401 and 2601 mode. Futaba is using the FASST stystem that is not compatible with the DSM2.

/Hans
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

We had discuss with walkera for the pricing issue and is able to get very good deals for this radio.

[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6821]Radio with receiver and aluminum carrying case for 189.99usd[/link]

[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6822]2801 receiver for 34.99usd[/link]

Happy flying!
ehirobo
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: HansV

The 2801 is a Walkera beefed-up version of the Spectrum DX7 and the JR DXR7. It has 8 channels versus 7 for the DX7 ...
I don't think it's a beefed up or any other kind of version of the DX7 or DXR7. It's just a different radio. I haven't seen it and it may be nice, but it only has 8 model memories compared to the DX7's 20 memories. My 72mHz radio, a Hitec Eclipse 7, only had 7 model memories and I ran out of them within a year. For a lot of people, it's a big deal. I paid $167.50 for my DX7 (without receiver or servos). I buy the AR6100 Rx's for $42 each when I buy them 6 at a time.
Spektrum uses DSM2. Since they're owned by Horizon Hobbies, and Horizon also owns E-flite, the DX7 is compatible with E-flite products. JR also uses DSM2 through a liscencing agreement. The 2801 uses it's own version of 2.4G and it's not compatible with Spektrum or DSM2. Except for Spektrum, E-flite and JR, everyone else uses their own 2.4G technology and they aren't compatible with each other.
I'm not saying the 2801 isn't a nice radio, and the price is OK if you need that 8th channel. But, I've never used more than 7 channels and like the 20 model memories and compatibility of the DX7, and the price isn't bad, either. They're just different radios and offer different options. It's nice to have a choice based on individual needs.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM
HansV

Hi Gary, I agree and thanks for all the info. I was not aware that Horizon Hobby owned E-flite and Spectrum. Interesting!

What I mean is that it "smells" a lot like a DX7 by the look of it and they share a lot of menus. The 2801 menus look a little nicer with a little more graphics, but the radio systems are completely different. The big downside is the 8 channel memory. I guess they did that on purpose to get people like me to buy one more. Do you think that they licensed something from Spectrum or maybe did a copycat?

/Hans.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
GTX SlotCar

Hi Hans, I see what you mean now about the menus. Another nice thing is the low price on the receivers. If they're small the Spektrum receivers, you can put then inside 4in1 cases. They've developed their own 2.4G technology, so they won't ever be compatible with Spektrum's DSM2.

There's one thing that bugs me on my DX7, and that's the way the timer stop watch function works. It resets to 0 when you turn the radio off. I'd like it to keep the timer in memory so when the Tx is turned on again you can continue the count from where you left off. There's a "clear" button to reset it to 0 anyway if that's what you want to do. Maybe I just haven't read the manual through, but I don't think there's a setting to make it continue. There are times when you might fly for 5 minutes and get interupted. You might know that you get about 15 minutes flight on a battery. When you get back to flying, it's nice to be able to continue the timer so you'll know how much time you have left. I use the timer a lot for testing batteries and for checking flight times with different landing gear options or blades, etc. My Eclipse 7 lets the timer continue and it's a nice feature.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 AM
ItalianIce

We had discuss with walkera for the pricing issue and is able to get very good deals for this radio.

[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6821]Radio with receiver and aluminum carrying case for 189.99usd[/link]

[link=http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6822]2801 receiver for 34.99usd[/link]

Happy flying!
ehirobo

Guys, DONOT buy this radio!

This tx has resolution issues, you can not adjust travel adjustment properly, and it has low output, binding issues, etc etc...

The first answer from Walkera was to release the 2801B which is nothing but addressing some of the flaws they should have fixed before we purchased these in January.

Now they are releasing the Pro version.

So this is the third version of the same tx in a six month period.

Sorry but I am disgusted at the customer service level of this product and Walkera.

I got my tx from Ehirobo and they did absolutely nothing about it and told me that it was basically my problem (when I emailed them). When I posted this complaint onto the boards, Ehirobo reps would then respond and ask me to contact them to resolve this.

1. I tried and never got a response and I also tried the phone number and got an answering machine in Chinese.
2. I asked on the board if I would have to ship to CHina and also pay for shipping back, and they never responded.

Buyer beware of Walkera... especially the wk-2801 tx.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
ehirobo ehirobo

Dear ItalianIce:

Sorry for pushing a old thread but I PM you a few times asking for order number so I can solve your problem but I never got a reply with proper info like order number, problem, etc. I understand you are not feeling too well regarding your radio but without these info I am sorry I can't really help to solve your problem.......

ehirobo
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM
ItalianIce

Dear ItalianIce:

Sorry for pushing a old thread but I PM you a few times asking for order number so I can solve your problem but I never got a reply with proper info like order number, problem, etc. I understand you are not feeling too well regarding your radio but without these info I am sorry I can't really help to solve your problem.......

ehirobo
If you could answer this question for all of wondering that would be nice:

Will we be getting a firmware upgrade because of all the issues that the 2801 and 2801e have had?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 AM
ehirobo ehirobo

Please contact your dealer if you would like to upgrade your firmware. If you got your 2801 from us please send us a email and we will arrange to send you 2801 back to walkera for update. Please note user will need to pay for the shipping cost for the radio.

Happy flying!
ehirobo
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
miataman95

I have a Nub-Question. Can I get a eflite receiver to fit in the 4G3 so I can use my DX6i? If so does anyone know which one?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
miataman95

Oops...forgot to click the notify me when someone replies button :-)
Old 09-12-2009, 05:10 PM
nevin

I have just received a receiver(rx-2801)walkera wk-2801-z-02. afterI installed it nothing works? my transmitter is wk-0701 and has a crystal 72.MH but the receiver has no place to put the 72.MH crystal?I sent the RX-0701 to nitro planes because with the heli running, the rpm'smovedup and down and teeth in the servos broke from moving back and forth continually.I think I need the 2801 transmitter now ? is that right ?or should these items work together.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:17 PM
primo400

Is this radio made by JR?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
us020140
My Feedback: (28)

I cannot get my Walkera to bind to my brand new WK-2801 Pro transmitter.. The first post on this thread states it will work with a 4#3B but the transmitter came with no instructions whatsoever. I downloaded the PDF manual and there is no mention of binding to anything but the 2801 receiver. Did I get taken or is there some way to make it work. I can fly the heli (barely) with the throw-away transmitter that came with it but its a horrible experience. The throttle is more of an on/off switch than a throttle. I bought the WK-2802 Pro from rc-fever.com, and have emailed them twice with no answer so far.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Silverexpress
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: us020140

I cannot get my Walkera to bind to my brand new WK-2801 Pro transmitter.. The first post on this thread states it will work with a 4#3B but the transmitter came with no instructions whatsoever. I downloaded the PDF manual and there is no mention of binding to anything but the 2801 receiver. Did I get taken or is there some way to make it work. I can fly the heli (barely) with the throw-away transmitter that came with it but its a horrible experience. The throttle is more of an on/off switch than a throttle. I bought the WK-2802 Pro from rc-fever.com, and have emailed them twice with no answer so far.
Any help would be appreciated.
Phil
First, let us know what receiver you have in the 4#3b. It's probably a 2401 which is a 4 channel. This means you'll have to switch the TX option to bind with the 2401.

from the main menu: STICK -> COMPTB -> from here you can pick the various RX bindings. Pick 2401. Hit enter.

Now turn off TX. Position power connector on Heli for ease of connection.
Once you turn on the TX, you'll have 10 seconds to connect power to the heli.

Once connected the heli will beep, and then the servo's will move. At this point move the cyclic stick to the right. Wait a few more seconds for the gyro to initialize with a few more beeps. Try not to move heli once you've powered it via the connector or else you'll screw up the gyro initialization - it'll mess up the tail rotor mix.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM
us020140

OK, it binds in 2401 mode. Man are the instructions lacking!
Some of the advanced functions aren't available in 2401 mode (nor in 2601). The DR and Expo were important to me but it looks like I can set them in 2801 mode and then go back to 2401 to fly the heli. Would the firm ware upgrade I've heard about fix this?

Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Silverexpress

Some of the advanced functions aren't available in 2401 mode (nor in 2601). The DR and Expo were important to me but it looks like I can set them in 2801 mode and then go back to 2401 to fly the heli. Would the firm ware upgrade I've heard about fix this?

Phil
What upgrade? How would you go about updating it?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM
us020140

I've seen scuttlebut on RC-Groups about earlier models being sent back (to China) for new software to be uploaded to the PROM chip. I don't know if this was one of the issues.
Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Silverexpress

Phil

Here is a specific manual on the 2801

http://www.derspielstein.com/Anleitungen/WK2801.pdf

Download it now before it disappears, again.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Tedstrickland

On the WK2801E, I found that if you set-up the Hot Keys for funtions only available in 2801 mode, then go to 2401 compatible mode the Hot Keys still access to 2801-only functions, without having to go back to 2801 mode. I have my Hot Keys set-up for TRVADJ, DR&EXP and REVERS. I can quickly access these function screens while in 2401 mode via the Hot Keys, without having to go thru the stick menu and return to 2801 mode. Only certain functions are allowed to be set as Hot Keys....

Any one else using this shortcut?? Ted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.