Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Walkera 4g3 Upgrade Blades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Shadow99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walkera 4g3 Upgrade Blades?

Does anybody know of a non-foam blade (not stock) that will fit the 4g3? The stock blades work OK, but a wood, plastic or even carbon fiber blade would work so much better. I know the length of a blade is around 140mm, and the root thickness is 3.3mm. Was`thinking of cutting down Gaui EP200 or Trex 250 blades.

Shadow
Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Shadow99

Default RE: Walkera 4g3 Upgrade Blades?

OK found 2 inexpensive options:
Cut down Gaui plastic main blades @ $8.50 a pair or covered-wood HDX blades for Trex 250 @ $6 bucks a pair.
The width is within 0.5mm (22mm) , the root thickness is the same (3.3mm) , hole diameter (2mm) , and the chord thickness is within 0.5mm (2.4mm), it's the length that too much at 200mm. Nothing a little snip, snip & sanding can't cure!

Updates to follow...

Shadow
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Shadow99

OK, we had some success in using the wooden HDX Trex 250 blades cut down to 140mm. I taped the 2 wooden blades together with masking tape, traced the outline of the Walkera blade from blade grip bolt hole to the tip, then cut off excess with scroll-saw & trimmed tips with dremel tool. I fully balanced them for CG & blade-to-blade weight, before mounting them, and spooling-up.

Flight test:
Normal mode they work great, execellent cyclic response , carefull collective managment required to keep motor from bogging too much though, tail held fine through out entire flight.

Idle-up on the other hand required gentle collective inputs [X(] , otherwise the tail would blow-out due to torque.[:@]

Shadow

Old 05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
ozium

Helipal.com has a CF main blade:

http://www.helipal.com/airy-3k-carbo...r-for-4g3.html
Old 05-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Shadow99

OK, Plan C...

Change the brushed "wimpy" tail motor to a 2.9g brushless outrunner, 4g3 now performs as well as a driven tail!

I also tried out the Gaui EP200 plastic blades cut down to 140mm, they are a little more forgiving than the woodies, cyclic not as snappy as the stiffer wooden blades, but better than the foam stock blades.

Ozuim,
You can get the CF blades from Wow Hobbies out of Orange, California too. They have a great selection of BL motors for the main & tail, as well as a pinions for the main motor.

Shadow
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
animalnut

bought two sets there great blades for the price especially for the price