Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc..
Reload this Page >

Techniques and suggestions for working on the 4G3

Community
Search
Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Techniques and suggestions for working on the 4G3

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
Aloha Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techniques and suggestions for working on the 4G3

Greetings ALL:
The Walkera 4G3 is an exciting CCPM helicopter. The thrill disipates with me when replacing parts like the main shaft or separating ball links. I am currently replacing the main shaft due to a possible micro warp (subtle horizontal shifting during hover). I need your techniques and suggestions for:

1. Removing the two pins on the main shaft and gear. Once you leverage the pin using a needle-nose pliers, pulling the pin out the rest of the way is very difficult (I'm still stuck!)

2. Separating the ball-links in a way that does not warp the plastic.

My frustration with the pins are leading me to dramel cut the shaft off, work on the "jesus" pin and just replace the main gear (Just don't want to deal with it). I wonder if I can reuse these pins because of all the torqing. Small screws with loctite seem to make more sense than pins.

HELP!! [:-]
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
empty_space

Default RE: Techniques and suggestions for working on the 4G3

The pins are very hard to get out especially if you have the metal head on it. I would try to push the pin through part of the way with like an ice pick and then use pliers to pull it out. I found it easier if you don't you needle nose pliers. The needle nose pliers just bend, I use regular short nose pliers(or whatever they are called, the regular kind or pliers), it seems like you can grip the pin better.

I once cut my main shaft in half just to get those pins out. I hate those pins. I have seem pics of people use small paper clips as replacement for the pins. They just cut a piece of the paper clip off and wrap the extra around the main gear or the head.

For the ball links, I try to get my nail behind it and just pull. Nothing really special that way.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Aloha Flyer

Greetings:
Since my main gear and CNC head ended up damaged from torquing on those pins. I cut the main shaft just below the CNC head with a dramel. I may have a worthy but more expensive solution for this problem:

Airy 2nd Generation Metal Rotor Head Set for 4G3- $13.90
http://www.helipal.com/airy-2nd-gene...t-for-4g3.html

This consists of a CNC Head with a main shaft. The "Jesus" pin is replaced with a screw! Of course I would experiment to see if future shaft replacements could just be with the stock $3.50 shaft. As for future main gear pin removals, I'll opt to the suggestions in this forum including using a small/micro vice-grip and paper clips, wire and thumbtack pins

Any thoughts on the new shaft solution?
Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
empty_space

That looks pretty good. I will have to pick it up when i break my cnc head. It looks alot easier than a pin.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Aloha Flyer

ORIGINAL: empty_space

That looks pretty good. I will have to pick it up when i break my cnc head. It looks alot easier than a pin.
I received quite a bit of blow-back concering this product on the other forums. They sited poor quality soft metal, the link balls are pressed-on and the "Jesus" screws are pressed in rather than being threaded. One mentioned it would fall apart in flight or in a crash.

I JUST EMAILED TO CANCEL MY ORDER WITH HELIPAL. Wanted to give you heads-up
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Aloha Flyer

Refund received from Jacky at Helipal. Prompt service
Old 06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
empty_space

Good thing they have good service. I wasn't at home over the weekend so I never got it. Good thing too.