Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya KV-2 Turret Rotation Problem

My assembly of my KV-2 by Tamiya is complete. Everthing works except the turret motor clutch slips while attempting to traverse the turret.

1. The motor does work.
    2. The motor gear does mesh with the gear on the turret. I even angled the motor to be sure it meshed.
    3. Tested turning the turret without the motor attached for free movement.
    4. Greased all surfaces that possibly touch for even more ease of movement.

Still no joy.

Ready to give up and glue the clutch assembly solid so it does not slip.

Does anyone have any ideas for a remedy or maybe recommend a different turret motor? The KV-2 has an extreme large and heavy turret.

Mfpage
    S3 NORDPAC Member: Northwest Division Pacific Armor Corps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tamiya KV-2 Turret Rotation Problem

How about posting this in the main section?

~ Jeff
    Building the British Sherman Mk.III ~ Mid Production Sicily

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi mfpage
    This may or may not help - http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=239.30 - Reply 43 - bottom of page - & on.
    Still a Work in Progress, but looks promising.

Mal

Mfpage,

I suggest you install the turret to the upper hull, and then remove the entire upper hull (with turret attached) from the bottom hull. Start the tank and rotate the turret back and forth. While it rotates, observe the underside of the upper hull, and specifically, the turret ring. Look to see what may be obstructing its rotation. This is how I solve all my turret rotation problems on Tamiyas, and it works well.

You may have a weak clutch, but it's unlikely. I used to glue my clutches or use the ubiquitous "blue gear", but not any more. In my experience, they aren't needed if the turret rotates as designed. Most likely you'll find an obstruction to the turret's rotation. KV2 should be a smooth traversing turret, despite its size. Usually, wires hanging up on something are to blame.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does this slip in a particular turret rotation position? Or any oreintation of the turret?

Check for paint overspay, ring alignment, plastic flash or uneven seating of the turret.

I agree with Jeff, do be careful with forcing any movement as the rotation does work normally and the gluing of the clutch is more for weak clutch (from over-use) or to fix a slightly sticky turret.
    Cheers
    Eric Scott
    www.SEAD.us

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My KV-2 turret now rotates. I separated the upper hull from the lower hull, cranked up the tank and still "no joy" on the rotation. It rotates freely without the motor assembly attached.

I balanced the turret with plane weights on the back of the turret and glued the clutch.

Had the same problem with the barrel not elevating. I added a couple of weights on the back of the recoil motor unit, glued the clutch and loosened the spring.

Either I received a couple of bad clutch assemblies, but I think the clutch needs some re-engineering. It seems weak for the heavy turrets and barrels.

Mfpage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

can we see pictures/.///

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I cannot oblige with photos. The motor and hull assembly, has been assembled and as everyone knows, once it's assembled you do not disassemble unless you have a problem.

The clutch gear in the turret rotation unit is actually easy to disassemble. It's just a nut on a long screw and there is only one way to reassemble so you it is very difficult to make a mistake. I washed the clutch gear in hot, soapy water to remove any grease and dirt. Just like washing dishes. Dried and let it set overnight to be sure the inside had dried. Then super glued the clutch.

The weights were just .25 oz airplane weights with adhesive backing. Add as many as needed to balance.

Hope this helps
    Mfpage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A good tip some one told me was to swap the clutch gear with one further down the drive so it has less stress on it do won't slip
    Tamiya:leopard 2a6, king tiger, Porsche king tiger, panther g, jagdpanther. Hooben: elefant, t-55. HL panther f, Jagdpanther

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found some excelent tips in the following website: sead.us/technology2.html in the section tech notes. I hope this helps
    Tamiya 1/16: Pershings, Tiger Is, King Tigers, Sherman Armortek 1/6: Tiger I (waiting for parts) Field of Armor 1/6: Tiger 1