Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

well yall got me interested.

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

well yall got me interested.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:44 PM
ezflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default well yall got me interested.

hi all. i a have been into rc for quite some time. so a little about my self before i start with all the newbie to tank questions. my main intrest in the hobby has always been aircraft. i have dabbled with cars and trucks. i got bored real easy because i didnt race and realy was not into bashing cars. so my next source of intertainment was boats. i have built plugs and made my own hulls with weedwaker engines. i left that hobby as i got tired of swimming to retrive my creations. i am a welder by trade and also do machinist work on the side as i have myy own lathe and mill and drill press etc. it seems that i always end up back to flying aircraft. i have a shop that is totaly dedicated to rc, no matter what it may be. my son likes the electric cars and i like nitro. he dont show much intrest in planes, and likes boats cause he likes to swim. i have been very fortunate in my rc hobby. i have access to a 5 acre pond for boats and i have my own personal air strip 1200 feet long in the middle of 12 acres where i live. it is in the middle of hay fields. so i have read a few post on the home page concerning tanks. i love to build things, rather it be from a kit or from scratch. so i mention to my 10 year old son about tanks and show him some pics. he fell in love and wants to do a father son build. i am rather excited and have a bunch of questions.

1 where do i get kits and parts

2 can someone give me some avarage measuments for 1/25 or 1/32 and 1/16. whats the overall demintons

3 where do i get started.

4 what radio/electronics do i look for. i actualy may have most of what i need.

5 what is some good brand names.

6 is there anyone close to lake charles. louisiana.

7 dont laugh at my spelling or punctuation. heheheh

any help would be very apreciate. i dont knw any thing about tanks other than i think it would so cool to do a father son build on a very cool tank that can shoot things. i am probly leaving out some inportant info, so please be patient. as for as money goes, i dont like buying cheap junk, even tho i am always looking for a good deal. i would rather spend a decent price for a decent product, but by all means dont want to overpay for a product that is junk. so i am looking for the experience of some of the veterans of the tank building hobby. thanks in advance and i will be waitn on all the replys. guys lets keep it positive. at least for my son who will be reading all the replys with me.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 AM
thecommander

Default RE: well yall got me interested.

Hi EZ,

If you are a serious RC guy your choice is very simple in RC tanking. If you appreciate the quality of a good RC model (not a toy) don't mess with the lesser model and just go right for a Tamiya 1/16 IR Battle tank. Karen at the AAF Tank Museum has the best prices and service. You can use your 2.4 GHz radio (4 CH) and do fine.

Here is a link to the museum PX. http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are into scratch building you can always build your own as I did with my LVT's and have the tank and boat together and still be realistic and doing models of real vehicles. Check out the builds on H*E*A*T Armor - Home

Herman
Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want, I can give you my phone number and I can help you out with any questions you might have.

Just let me know.

~ Jeff
Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
ezflyer
My Feedback: (2)

thanks for the reply's guys. my son and i are very interested. thanks for the links also. me and the wife are in the process of buying new vehicles. so in the next week or so i will realy be doing some studing on the tank building process. i realy lillke the idea of scratch building, but until i familiarise my self with the tracks and drivetrain etc, i think i will buy me a kit.

panther g let me get trough this vehicle buying episode, and then we can trade contacts. thanks again fella's. i will be in and out with lots of questions.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 PM
thecommander

Bulls-eye. You are spot on in your decision to go with a Tamiya FO kit. Herman is a great fabricator and builder so for him it is not a big jump to scratchbuild. But not a new tanker. I've seen way too many poorly or improperly built Tamiya tanks come thru my door to recommend scratch building to anyone else but a RCer who is very knowledgeable in tanks. Stay in touch.

Bob