Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

curiosity

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Gustof Wind

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default curiosity

I'm curious as to why so many of you "allies", especially those from the UK, choose to model the infamous Nazi war machine---
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
brel
Banned

Default RE: curiosity

ORIGINAL: Gustof Wind

I'm curious as to why so many of you "allies", especially those from the UK, choose to model the infamous Nazi war machine---
I picked the tiger to model and modify because it was one of the best tanks of its day. and not because of its Nazi beginnings, because it was designed a couple of years after the start of the war even though the megalomaniac man with the funny moustache approved the final design.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Plastic scouser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well in my case it comes down to what is available I would love a British tank but there are none on the market and even the Sherman has the wrong suspension for a British version [] if Hen long want to release a Comet, Churchill, etc I will gladly buy my fair share

Also on the subject of German armour the designs of there tanks are just so good looking (Panther and King Tiger being two of my favorite tanks) I also love stugs and Jagdpanzers....but lets face it the "Bad guys" always have the best gear look at Starwars who didnt want to be a Stormtrooper after that film came out

Cheers Ian
Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 AM
digger1976

Mainly because the German tanks were the precursor to the modern main battle tank (MTB), making me bias to them. They had the vision and technology unparallel during their infancy. Not to mention their looks are more appealing then most of the other tanks during their time. This makes the romanticism of the German tanks more desirable for me anyways. It has nothing to do with the German war mongering and human injustices that they caused but it has everything to do with the romanticism of the first true main battle tanks and they way they looked for their time.
I tried to explain it the best way I could on how I feel.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
abo

You "allies" sounds a little condescending. When there are more options I will model them. I would like to build British but they don't do them,I would like a KV2 but nobody does one. I have a pershing and a bulldog so whats your suggestion? Just build the same american stuff because they were on our side? I build what looks good and gives me options so its mainly German at the moment. If it makes you feel any better I collect 1/72nd WW2 aircraft too and they are all american, its whatever floats your boat and nothing more complicated than that.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM
slotcarrod

I love the German tanks but hate the Nazi idea.

German tanks had better engineering and look better. They were mean. Any vet WWII allied tank commander I have talked to (only two), say they were very afraid of the Panther, Tiger I and II. The only thing we had that was close were the Pershing and to some degree the Firefly. Not sure about some of the later Russian tanks like the Stalin but I know the T-34 85 was a very good tank.

One other thing I love about German WWII armour etc, were the different and fantastic cammo patterns.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
BIGMIG

Not all people who buy,collect,and play with these toys continue to think about their origin of design.(I know I don't,I just like tanks and any thing else with tracks).No mater how much people disslike war and the wasted lives of people,a lot of our modern items we use on a daily bassis can be related to war. BIGMIG
Old 04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
swathdiver

The Tiger's reputation and looks makes a great modelling project. Hitler was an evil nut ball but his minions made some cool tanks. Personally, I do not model my tanks after SS units, just regular army.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
tailend charlie

BIGMIG I completely agree. WW2 in with props out with jets. V2= man on the moon and so on. I like all of the tanks. Each has its own unique looks and functions.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Dugster

Gust,

I am always suspicious about this kind of a post from a brand new user, but I think you will be hard pressed to start that old fight here. We know the difference between a German and a Nazi, so let it go.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Gustof Wind

Hey Dugster--I'm not trying to start anything--just curious--and just as I thought, enough generations have passed to forget the bad stuff and appreciate the technology and esthetics.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

ORIGINAL: brel

I picked the tiger to model and modify because it was one of the best tanks of its day. and not because of its Nazi beginnings, because it was designed a couple of years after the start of the war even though the megalomaniac man with the funny moustache approved the final design.
i bought mine for the same reason. not to mention the tiger just looks meaner then any of the other tanks
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm with Dugster on this ... let it go!

Threads like this always get deleted because it's not R/C related and you'll have a strike against you!

Next subject please!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Gustof Wind

what's your problem???I just asked a simple question--don't try to make something out of it that isn't there!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Panther F

I don't have a problem ... yet. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 PM
tac23

politically correct or not (actually I lean to the left politically) the German tanks of the 40's were just cooler than the allies

Thats what happens when you have Porsche designing your AFV's
Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 PM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing about the German tanks were the elaborate camo paint, it is a shame manufacturers haven't figured out that we would eat up Crusaders, M14's, Grants, Skoda's, Matilda's, Char B's etc.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Dugster

what's your problem???I just asked a simple question--don't try to make something out of it that isn't there!!!
Gust,

I don’t have a problem yet either. If you had worded your original question different I would not have questioned it... It was not just a “simple” question. Use of the word Nazi, for obvious reasons, is always a bit flamatory and a bit of a tender subject here in the tank forum.

I do believe you that you meant no harm so let’s just drop it.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
speedpro440

There is a big difference in a Nazi and a German. Not all German tank crews were Nazi's.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
uhu

From Forum Rules:

"We do not permit political, social, religious, or other off-topic discussions. There are many places online to express your opinions on issues outside of RC so "RC" Universe is designed to be a place to talk just about RC."

Regards
Jose
Old 04-02-2008, 04:04 PM
pattoncommander

Gustav, outside of one M-4 105 Sherman (which was not that much used), an M-26 Pershing and a Tamiya Leo, would you kindly point out the vast choices one has in allied armor? RC clubs have been after the manufacturers to produce Shermans, Crusaders, Cromwells, etc but to date, we have to take what is available and make conversions. Shermans are out if one wants to historically accurate, as the only available sherman has HVVS and that was only on late M-4A3 Shermans. Most of us build and run Tigers, Panthers, Pz IIIs and T-34's because they are very well known and historically proven very good tanks.

Incidentally, there are no Nazi tanks, There are WW II German tanks and some officers may have belonged to the party to keep out of trouble. I was a tank commander for many years but that does not make me a democrat or republican. [&:] My wife is from Romania but that does not make her a communist...she just had to suffer through it and survive. Get you facts straight! [>:]

If you have a secret source of good, reliable "allied' tanks, kindly inform us of this new revolation on the site.[>:]
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM
tankmad

WHAT? You guys aren't all NAZIS? I am!!! I thought all of us with our Nazi tanks were going to rise again and take over the world... I'm just worried all the henglongs will break down though.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: tankmad

WHAT? You guys aren't all NAZIS? I am!!! I thought all of us with our Nazi tanks were going to rise again and take over the world... I'm just worried all the henglongs will break down though.
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

You tell 'em guys! He's off now to ride his tractor!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:37 PM
erikreid

ORIGINAL: tankmad

DIS IST THE RISE OF DER 4TH RIECH! VE VILL RULE ZE VORLD! ( sorry i could not help it, Ill go back into my little hole now...:P)
Old 04-02-2008, 05:05 PM
ksoc

.... Just picture Will Farrell in "The Producers".........

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0010695/quotes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.