Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

To bad real Sherman Tanks don't fit in duffle bags

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

To bad real Sherman Tanks don't fit in duffle bags

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
pcomm1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To bad real Sherman Tanks don't fit in duffle bags

A fellow modeler and USAF SOF Pavelow Pilot is into RC Sherman tanks and he shared this story over the weekend.

He emailed. "I have a pretty unique story on a Sherman. My squadron had moved from Baghdad to Balad Iraq and spent most of our time flying missions in the Sunni Triangle. After a long night of infiling guys and finally exfilling them my Helo developed a maintance issue and I had to make a quick landing into a Special forces compound near the town of Taji.

Since I was already at the 16 hour point of my day I wandered in the darkness around the camp looking for a bunk. On my way to the sleeping area I noticed a familiar shape in the distance and could not believe what I was seeing, it was a Radial Engined Sherman tank, very nice, very pristine, except it was missing the tracks.

Me & my guys climbed all over it, took some pictures and went to bed. Later the next day I started inquiring about where this tank came from and was told it was in drivable condition in downtown Baghdad used as a play thing for one of Sadams sons or henchmen. The Special Forces guys that found it thought that it was a foul that this piece of Americana was sitting in Baghdad and proceeded to "liberate it." Once they got it in the camp they drove it around everywhere, until one day the Military Police had enough and were concerned that someone would get hurt so they removed the tracks. When I found it, it was still in pretty incredible condition, with all the boxes, bore brushes and other accessories attached. A lot of the internal instrumentation had been piliged but it looked good."

Old 05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
DeadTom

Default RE: To bad real Sherman Tanks don't fit in duffle bags

Very cool, those dog-goned MP's are always taking the fun away.
It is too bad that Sherman's don't fit into duffles.
DT
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 AM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: To bad real Sherman Tanks don't fit in duffle bags

ORIGINAL: DeadTom

Very cool, those dog-goned MP's are always taking the fun away.

Heehee

Interesting.I would've found someone that found a b17 sitting in a barn in baghdad, and stuffed it in the bomb bay and flew em both home