RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   War Room (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/)
-   -   bought used 1/6 M5 Stuart Tank(up-dated)2-Used-1-New Plus 1/6 humvee (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/7105203-bought-used-1-6-m5-stuart-tank-up-dated-2-used-1-new-plus-1-6-humvee.html)

BIGMIG 02-21-2008 09:14 PM

RE: Just bought used 1/6 M5 Stuart Tank-

ORIGINAL: DAP

"P.S. I don't think one of these is going to be enough now that I have one--LOL" Guess I cant say anything about that.
Here is a picture of my main Stuart.

FANTASTIC,looks realy good and I love the bucket hanging on the back.Did you moddify the gun barrel,it looks longer to me than the one I just bought. BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 02-21-2008 09:19 PM

That is a great looking Tiger----------BIGMIG :D:D:D

DAP 02-22-2008 01:32 PM

The barrrel is no way near scale. I made it shoot a puff of smoke from a hopper and a 12v air compressor for the shows we do. Cant fire off a blank or actually shoot anything during a indoor show. Kids get a kick out of it. A true scale bbl was just to small to get a good effect.

You can see the Tiger and 2 of the 8 Stuarts squeezed off to the side of the garage in anticipation of the next 1/6th vehicle. Space really does become a issue.

BIGMIG 02-22-2008 08:49 PM

Hello Dap,
Could use a little help on how to open these big guys up.Want to get into the turret and look things over,want to do something with the gun.I'm going to leave everything on the tank just like it is now,but I would like to make the gun at least shoot BB's.I would like to extend the gun length a little.Such a big tank and such a small gun.I should do a little looking to see what others have done with these,I know absoleutly nothing about these tanks such as scale appearance.Need to have a look at the lower part of the hull also.Will probbly get into checking it out tomorrow. BIGMIG ;););)

swathdiver 02-23-2008 12:24 AM

BIGMIG, you potty training that Stuart??? :D What's with the papers? :D:D

BIGMIG 02-23-2008 12:44 AM

Well I have beat my poor old pool table to death supporting all my tanks. LOL :D Well this guy had this in his auto rebuild shop with 6 guys sanding on cars and paint dust all over everything and we ran it around on the floor so did not have time to clean it up before it went on the pool table.This guy had some fantastic 1/6 scale jeeps and the matching (figures--the people,don't know what you call them but you know what i mean).He had some impressive stuff I got to look at.1/6 scale is pretty good sized stuff,and it was all getting full of dust in his shop-[&o][&o]--------------He had a shop full of custom old time cars and hot-rods being restored.Very nice young man and he was glad I was buying it because he knew I would be taking good care of it and no kids would end up with it.
BIGMIG ;););)

P.S. Just did a little looking up these tanks on "wikipedia" and learned a little about them.Over 25 thousand of them built and a lot of different countries ended up with some of these tanks.Also many variations of this type tank. ;););)

swathdiver 02-23-2008 01:22 PM

There was a restaurant a few miles away from me that had a real one. I tried to buy it when they closed but kept getting the run around and now its gone. [:o]

BIGMIG 02-23-2008 04:46 PM

I think it would be kind of cool having one parked in the driveway,you would be the talk of the neighborhood.:D
BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 02-26-2008 02:00 PM

I have been bidding on a few of these on ebay,but they are going a lot higher than I'm willing to pay for them when you also have to add in the shipping cost.They are big and heavy and cost a fair amount for shipping.I do want another one primarily for parts if I every need any,but I got lots of time to shop for the right price.Got to go buy a trickle charger for the tank I just bought,thats the only thing that didn't come with the tank.I have to pull out the battery and make sure of the voltage,think it's 12 volt and my car type chargers put out to much juice for this small battery. BIGMIG ;););)

P.S. I love this size tank,saved me a lot of money for now because I was going to buy one of the 1/6 metal kits and for now I'm content with this one.But I need "ONE MORE"----Can't figure that out because that is what I said after I bought my very first Tank--
LOL BIGMIG :D:D

pzrwest 02-26-2008 03:14 PM

What are the dimensions of the battery in your Stuart BM? There may be a gel cell battery that matches that size, and they can be charged with a regular 12 volt car battery charger. Might be just what you need for your Stuart

BIGMIG 02-26-2008 08:53 PM

Well this apears to be a factory supplied battery in it and it works fine,just need a trickle charger.It has a "sealed lead acid battery"
and the guy I bought it from said that was what he used and reccomended for charging.A long slow charge has always been my prefered method of charging batterys. BIGMIG ;)

DAP 02-26-2008 10:16 PM

Its the same field battery the flyboys use. The local Hobby People have them for $22. I beleive 2 amps trickle is the rate. I just got one from a computer UPS that had a bad board. Free battery. Gotta like it.

BIGMIG 02-27-2008 01:36 AM

Hello Dap,
Got a guy who wants to sell me a new M5 stuart for $202.00 dollars plus shipping.Waiting to see what the shipping is going to be.My guess is it may work out to around $250.00 total.Got any opinion on this price for a new M5. BIGMIG ;););)

Well just sent the money for the tank,so it looks like I will get it.Thought I had missed out,but talked to the man today thats selling it and closed the deal.Looking forward to having a new one. BIGMIG ;););)

swathdiver 02-27-2008 03:51 AM

We all need ONE MORE!! ;) Then you'll need a 1/6 Tiger to chase after them with! :D

pattoncommander 02-27-2008 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope you got a good deal on the Stuart. For parts etc you can go to M5stuartrctankbattalion.com and the members have parts etc. Jack Yang (on the site) makes the proper track that really makes it look good. The tracks on the Stuart are totally wrong, but Jacks' are great. Armorpax has proper gun tubes, better turret cal 30 MG and other upgrades. Bad thing is that is only has one speed but it looks and sounds good on the move. I have a mini cam mounted in the driver's hatch and viewing the small screen, it's pretty close to driving the real thing. The gun sits at an awkward up angle, but you can pop the mantlet loose from the plactic detet tab at the top and reverse it, (also readjust the coax cal 30) so that it will be pointing straight ahead. May have to trim a little off the breech end. Have fun.
Bill

DAP 02-27-2008 10:18 AM

As everyone knows shipping is real expensive these days. Its a matter of how big, how heavy and how far. The postal service seems to be real high for these size boxes.
The small package carriers do better on price.
A new in the box Stuart for $200-$250 is about average I think. You can find that "deal" on Ebay once in awhile. Or the one that got run way up because of ego. I'd buy NIB for $200.

pzrwest 02-27-2008 10:34 AM

Now you need a painting of Jeb Stuart to display behind your Stuart. Always loved the old Haunted Tank comics

BIGMIG 02-27-2008 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally opened the M5 up today,found one of the support posts broken off.It's no big deal and the pieces were inside so a little super glue and it will be fixed.Found a screw from somewhere hanging on the speaker magnet.The antena wire is taped to the side of the tank,not very good for any kind of range so it will get attached to an external antena.Wires will get re-aranged with cable ties and put back in a neat order.Battery looks good and seems to work good.Going to lube everything and take the turret off and see what can be done with the gun,motors all look good but the gear train is dry as a bone.Going to pretty well go over and check everything out while it's apart.Got a few pictures of the inside for those who may have never seen the insides of one of these tanks.
Also had one of the big covers missing under the belly of the tank,also an easy fix.This is just a basic flat cover I can cut out of sheet plastic and two tabs and one screw holds it in place.Over-all very happy with this tank and i got it for a great price.
Pictures to follow. BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 03-05-2008 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I just bought a second used one,got it for $80.00 dollars and could not pass it up.Had I found this a week ago I would not have bought the new one that is also on its way to me.Going to end up with three of these big guys.This one I bought today has a muddy looking paint job on it,don't care for the color to much but that was one of the color schems they were sold new with.This tank has been run very little,tracks are still almost like new.The new one thats coming to me I didn't even ask what color it was,I'll find out when it gets here. A few pictures to follow ----------------BIGMIG ;););)

papadave 03-05-2008 12:53 AM

Hey BIGMIG! Wow! You're gonna have to separate those Stuarts the way they are multiplying! Still plan on getting out there, but fighting the flu this week, you wouldn't want me there. Congrats on the new additions...Later...Papadave [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

BIGMIG 03-05-2008 01:26 AM

Hello papadave,
Sorry to hear you have the flu,I have been sweating bullets trying to avoid that nasty stuff.A lot of people have it and when I went to the post office to send the money to the guy for the new tank( low and behold the postmaster had the flu and was working that way)And I had to stand there while he made out my registered mail receipt.Came home and washed my hands about 5 times.I've been staying away from everyone and threating my wife with bodily harm if she gets it while visiting her girl friends.Made a real find on this one for 80 bucks,cost me 36 dollers just for gas to go get it.This guy lived down by Albany Ore.
Hope you fight it off soon,------------BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 03-06-2008 12:55 PM

Well I just got a e-mail with the tracking number on the new stuart tank I bought,it's on the way and I'm looking forward to having a new one out of the box.I should have it sometime next week,will post a few pictures of it when it arrives.The guy sent it Fed-ex,not my favorite shipping company.Now I have to wait and hope it survives its journey with-out getting dammaged,but it is insured.
BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 03-12-2008 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my new out of the box 1/6 Stuart this afternoon,survived the shipping undammaged.It was packaged very well,lots of peanuts and a good exterior box.It is great to still be able to get one of these new,and everything is there.
A few pictures below------BIGMIG :D:D

BIGMIG 03-19-2008 09:50 PM

Just bought one of the 1/6 Humvee's to go with my 1/6 tanks.Hope to have it mabe by next week end and I will post a few pictures of it.Don't know much about them but if they are anything like the M5 Stuarts in quality I will be very happy.
BIGMIG ;););)

BIGMIG 03-25-2008 09:30 PM

Just bought one more Stuart (1/6 scale) Non RC Model,Hope to have this one for parts if I ever need any. BIGMIG ;););)