RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   War Room (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/)
-   -   bought used 1/6 M5 Stuart Tank(up-dated)2-Used-1-New Plus 1/6 humvee (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/7105203-bought-used-1-6-m5-stuart-tank-up-dated-2-used-1-new-plus-1-6-humvee.html)

pattoncommander 08-07-2010 05:38 PM

RE: Just bought used 1/6 M5 Stuart Tank-

forgot to insert. i just posted two very short videos of my Stuart to show operation.
U-tube; Patttoncommanders channel ; stuart front.avi

BIGMIG 08-07-2010 08:00 PM

Hello Pattoncommander,
Shipping cost is not realy that bad for a stuart.For 50 dollars or less you can ship from your area to about any of the fartherest points you can think of in the lower 48 states. (BY UPS ).Findina a box to fit is not that tough and UPS does like one to use sheet foam to line around the box if you want to insure it.

BIGMIG ;)

pattoncommander 08-08-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks....I got a couple boxes and pieced them together..packed very solid..but it;'s 35x2ox20 and a seperate box for the 2 chargers, minicam stuff, metal MG & controller. Have someone interested, but fear that the shipping will be a hassle. Looking for an original box. Placed a message on M5StuartRCtank......and waiting for some response.[:-]

BIGMIG 12-11-2011 12:32 PM

Yes I know this is an old post but there are guys showing up who have bought these 1/6 scale models looking for info and there is a lot about them in this thread.So this may help out those people.

BIGMIG

rat now 12-11-2011 01:18 PM

BIGMIG, I gotta hand it to you...this is a fine thread on the Stuart and you have a fine collection there. Ive been reading this from start to end and there is a lot of info here on both Stuarts and Abrams. Lets keep it going. I love the new version Stuarts that our friends across the pond built! Talley Ho!

Thanks again,
Rat

BIGMIG 07-24-2012 04:36 PM

Over 30,000 views and still growing............I think thats great...;)

As an up-date..........I'm doing a project on a 1/6 Stuart in the main forum area that the first part of this project will be of some help to those who may be thinking about getting one of the 1/6 stuarts.It will show all the internal workings of this tank along with pictures for anyone who has wondered whats on the inside....After that part it goes off in a different direction that may not have anything to do with the stock tank or interest to most here on the forum.;)

BIGMIG ;)

Glacier Girl 07-25-2012 04:52 AM

Yeah well I blame you for getting me into this.:D I have more r/c planes then I can shake a stick at and they now are sitting around collecting dust.
Why? Because of the new addiction I have.[:-]

Managed to snag a NIB MotorWorks version. And it's being completely redone. Switched over to a Spektrum 2.4 system, Turnigy bec, and Sabertooth 12 esc.
Even kept the original sounds, and that took some doing. 5 servos and 8 pin switches now run the board's main chip.
Even modded the Spektrum tx by adding momentary switches to operate the guns.

Speaking of guns, it's getting an airsoft cannon installed. With elevation and gyros.;)

Already added working head and tail lamps, a spot lamp, and a laser sight. Remote camera is being installed too. Moved the battery (original) to the center of the tank for better balance, and the camera's transmitter/antenna and battery now occupy the tank battery's old tub.

Added a pair of cooling fans to keep the electronics happy, and waterproofed em all with CorrosionX.

Saving up for a pair of Jack's treads, but in the mean time, the stock ones got a multi step treatment to give them a little bit of authentic looks. Ditto the sprockets and top rollers.

First a coat of silver to mimic bare steel, followed by a rusty overcoat. The pads, though not correct, got multiple passes of spray on bed liner to give the rubber look.
Then some runs in the sand to start the wear in process. As it gets run, the rust paint will wear away leaving the silver to show through.

I'm doing this one up as the most famous M5, the "Haunted Tank". Has the rusted up paint already done, even got the Rebel flag flying.

Jeb, Slim and the rest of the crew are going to ride again.

Glacier Girl 07-25-2012 05:33 AM

Oh in all that, almost forgot a couple of things I ran into that others need to know about.

Top rollers for the treads. On mine they were pretty much bound up tight, wouldn't have taken long to flat spot em big time. I found two things that were causing it.

#1 the post that the roller assembly fits over is a tad too short. This lets the "axle" portion of the rollers bind on the side of the tank. Simple fix, take a sanding block to the "axle" to shorten it slightly. Will give the clearance needed for it to free wheel.

#2 the same post can mushroom where the roller retainer screw goes into it. This causes the post to bind on the hole in the roller "axle". Again easy fix. Carefully trim off the mushroomed portion on the post, and open up the hole slightly in the "axle".

Mine now freewheel nicely.

And don't forget to lube all the moving parts. Those rollers are two parts, and inner and outer, and they can rotate independently.

As for lube, I saw that most recommend grease, just gotta be careful you don't use something that will attack the plastic.

Me being me, I decided to try something else. I noticed on the versions using grease on the gearboxes that the grease ended up getting flung everywhere. I'd see pictures of the top half of the tank on the inside with grease spewed all over them. And these are pretty much sealed gearboxes. Not sure if the others were just using way too much grease, or that what ever they were using just had poor adhesion properties, but it wasn't for me.

What I used was Lucas Oil Treatment. This stuff puts STP to shame. It has the consistency of molasses, and sticks like snot. I put some in a syringe, with a CA needle on it.
Put a thin coat on all the gears and bushings, and spun up the tank. Not a drop came off, and boy did it quiet up the gearboxes. Flush with success there, I stripped the tank of all moving parts and each got a coat of Lucas.

I'm running mostly in sand, and I recently pulled the tracks for paint. Popped all the rollers and idlers off to check em for wear. None, nada, zilch. Sand trapped all around the moving parts but none on the surfaces that moved.

BIGMIG 07-25-2012 02:41 PM

Good point on the return rollers Glacier Girl.The stuart i'm working on now i bought used and has some small flat spots on some of the rollers for that very reason.It is easy to run one of these around and not realize the rollers are not turning and it would not take long to develope flat spots.I will be going over the one i'm now working on before it gets run other than testing in the hobby room.

BIGMIG ;)

BIGMIG 10-31-2012 09:35 PM

Been a while since i have posted here on the forum and also in this section.If you read back far enough in this thread you will see where (back a ways ) forgot how long it has been...I had bought a brand new in the original box 1/6 scale HUMMER built by 21 St.Century.Paid $90.00 for it and somewhere around $40.00 dollars for shipping.Already owned one and only reason i bought it was the fact it was such a good buy and i thought i would just buy it and sell it down the road at some later date.( the idea was for a little proffit of course..;)).Well it ended up sitting in one of our spare bedrooms for two or three years. (again i have lost the time frame in which it has sit in the box in the bedroom.could be less than that or longer??) I did open the box when i received it to insure it had not been damaged in shipping and looked it over good,then right back in the box.It still had never been run.;)

Well i just sold it a few days ago......

A friend of my wife came over to visit with her husband and of course i showed him my collection of RC toys.( and who don't like to look at RC toys);) Well on the next visit or so i got down my hummer and was showing him how well built they were and just briefly ran it back and fourth a little (not much room in my play room) and he thought it was pretty neat.So i told him i had a new one in the bedroom that i had bought several years back and it was still "new in the box" and ask if he would be interested in buying it for what it cost me.Well to shorten the story a little i brought it out and we opened it up and he mentioned to his wife that he liked it and had a birthday coming up this month and it would sure make a nice birthday gift fror him......;)

So they bought it....Sold it to him for $140.00 dollars (well so much for that proffit i was thinking i was going to make when i bought it...:D)

He also told me when he came over that day that he had been on RCU and knew i was "BIGMIG".........;) Yes i was.....;)

So i'm "glad" it is going to a good home and hope he has a lot of fun with it."Congratulation" to you "Victor" and i hope you may wish to become a member here on RCU.

BIGMIG ;);)

Glacier Girl 11-01-2012 12:27 PM

Cool!!! and you are right, those Humvee's are built stronger then most tanks.

I just finished up 3 of the Stuarts for a gentleman who ran em hard and put em away wet.
Even turned one in to a quasi "Tiger" tank so his son and he could battle em.

He then showed up with his Humvee for me to redo.

I was shocked at what made it up, for a kids toy. Double tube steel frame, working independent suspension, dual action body to chassis mounts, CV axles, working differentials, 4WD,
sealed bearings on a lot of the moving parts, even working LED lamps. That's the kind of stuff I would have expected on mega dollar r/c truck, not some Wally world special.

Your friend got himself a heck of a truck.:D

And you are a heck of a friend.;)

Jefferson1964 11-01-2012 01:18 PM

I purchased a Stuart New when they came out, drove it a few times and put it up back in the box. Now that my son has turned 10 and is into playing World of Tanks he wants me to get out my Stuart. Ive seen the condition of his toys and I know the condition of mine.....ehhhh i may just let him look at it, LOL

Duca 11-01-2012 05:43 PM

I here YA!...

Glacier Girl 11-02-2012 05:35 AM

Typical kid, won't let the other kids play with his toys.:D

Do the running gear mods, and it will run a long long time. Ok, at least till the electronics crap out. [&:]

Oh heck, buy another and battle it out with your son, Jefferson.

That's what I just finished up for someone, he's got a 10 year old too. Took one of em, cut off the machine gun shield and grousers off the turret, added a barrel extension with a brass tube, and cut off the side skirts. Gave the thing a whole new look. He's gong to add some gray paint and crosses, and he's got a quasi German tank. ;)

BIGMIG 12-05-2015 01:27 PM

WoW......Where has all the time gone.....Pulled this up for those who may be interested in the bigger scale tanks (1/6)........Some good info here for those who like the bigger scale tanks.This was back when the forum was very active.

MR4X4KING 05-11-2016 08:42 AM

I have some 1/16 stuarts and a 1/9 abram and a Humvee located in Nesquehoning pa if anyone is interested

BIGMIG 12-15-2016 11:55 PM

I started this post just two months short of nine years ago.....Almost 50,000 views..........Amaaaazing.......
Still have most of the items in this post and they all still work..........

BIGMIG