RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   War Room (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/)
-   -   Pz III conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/7387639-pz-iii-conversions.html)

pattoncommander 04-17-2008 09:56 PM

Pz III conversions

1 Attachment(s)
Before I start on some pz IVs, one of which is already an f2, here are my conversions to variations of the workhorse Pz III, I now have ausf, L,. G, N, H, Sig33, Russian SU-76i and Japanese type,97. My ausf M Flammenpanzer is nearing completion but photo merely shows the flame gun. As soon as the early ausf E kit is on stock again, I will add that. .
Any more Pz III variations out there?

pattoncommander 04-17-2008 10:00 PM

RE: Pz III conversions

1 Attachment(s)
oops...doubled up on the sig 33 and missed the Japanese 97

borealis 04-18-2008 01:34 AM

I would have liked to sse a build thread about the Jap 97. Did I simply miss it?

The_Stuff 04-18-2008 09:11 AM

i'd like to know more info about the russian one.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 04:06 PM

the Russian SU-76is from Modellino, very good kit and you can go two ways with it, use the Pz III TC cupola or a flat plate like an SU-85.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 04:10 PM

I did take a few shots as I was doing it....I'll have to resize my photos and put them on the web...probably tonight. Also some on the SU-76i. Thanks for asking...it was a (female dog) of a job and I lost elevation/depression of the gun, but it runs nice. Have to have metal tracks to give it that typical WW II Japanese slack track look. I did take out one link so i could run a bit faster, but with the sloppy track, it really looked good.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the rebuild photos on my SU-76i

Get the kit from Peter at [email protected]. Peter also has some photos of museum artifacts that he can forward. I believe I also got the Russian crew from him.

Really basic. Strip everything off the fenders of the Pz III. Remove turret and take out elevating mechanism. Make a platform to support the mechanism, mount the gun brackets, install gun. Attach a stiff wire to the back of the gun to link with the elevating cam.
Mount superstructure with hatches etc ect, then fuel drums, paint, add decals, dirt, etc. The SU-76i is really an easy conversion and would be really simple to set up with an DBU. A very well made kit and takes very little sanding and fitting. Disconnect the MG sound....the SU-67i didn't have one...or what the heck, mount one for the commander or put a captured German SMG in his hands.

I had the uniforms painted to light in these photos, but since have redone them in a proper dark brown (artillery, not grey tank uniforms). Used a lot of dullcoat.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, Here's the rebuild of my japanese Type 97 Shinhoto Chi Ha. Tank based on one from the 71st Tank Regt, 2nd Armored div, luzon, Phillipines 1944. Re Japanese Tanks 1939-45 Osprey Vanguard.

Removed turret and reconfigured with sheet styrene. Lost elevation/depression of gun due to the style and location of the gun mount.
Reworked suspension by disconnecting shocks from 1 & 6 roadwheels and connecting them to the tube. (before doing this, suggest moving the main board as this tube will cover the mounting screws.) Buildup of bow and diver sections. this must deviate from the real tank just a bit and build a bit higher, to allow clearance of the gears. (same Stu problem). Add muuuucho rivits from round styrene rod. Rebuild all exterrior with sheet styrene, add mufflers from scrap leftovers. (something new?) It was necessary to add a stiff tenor saxophone spring into the 1-2-3 road wheel supports, as the metal track was too heavy for the Pz III spring in the 1st road wheel. (I heated it and melted it in place.) Finally painted the tank IAW with colors and pattern on my photos from APG, added 21st Century Japanese figures and decals from a 135 scale model of the same tank. It's a real great runner and historically a very good tank. The HV 47mm gun was very accurate and could take out a Sherman at 500 yds.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 09:14 PM

this is a test...twice I have submitted the additional 4 photos for the Japanese tank and they still haven't shown up....

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
try again,

the wheels I filled in with Hardware stoere washers, (same as my T-34/76) the sprocket with modelling putty (until i find a smaller one to fit) and made a filler for the idler from steet styrene.

pattoncommander 04-18-2008 09:28 PM

OK, I performed a vertical intercourse on photo numbers, but the second set never did get there...the finished tank is shown on my initial post. It's a neat tank and I'm thinking about doing another Japanese tank. [)]

swathdiver 04-19-2008 11:44 AM

Bill, Are you going to do a PZIII H Befehlswagen? How about the weapons carrier with the wood superstructure in place of the turret?

Leon01 04-19-2008 04:28 PM

All I can say is Wow. Talk about mod Skills. I like them all fine collection. The 97 has to be the rarest and your conversion is amazing.

LOL I have trouble just petting a basic model kit together let alone something like you have done

lanierrl 04-19-2008 05:31 PM

Leon01, what part of Tennessee are you from?

Leon01 04-19-2008 07:05 PM

LOL i just seen where I said petting my tanks that should be put. Hi lanierrl near knoxville.

Bauer66 04-19-2008 08:32 PM

Pattoncommander
Very Nice conversions. I am finishing up my Jagdpanzer build and have a few PZIII's here to do. cant wait to get started on them. I have a picture of a sig33 mounted on a PZIII in the Afrika Korps. I have been working on the layout for a possible build on that one.

pattoncommander 04-19-2008 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James, I did that on a Century 21 Pz IV....have since put the crew in proper uniform. I'm waiting for restock on the Pz III early E, and may do a Brumbaer that Modellino has for the IV.

pattoncommander 04-19-2008 09:39 PM

That DAK Sig 33 was a completely different configuration than the Russian campaign model. The Russians were converted fom captured pz IIIs at Stalingrad. Don't think your photo is a Pz III. Rommel's 150mm guns were mounted on French Lorraine armored carriers. From the side, the suspension somewhat resembles a Sherman. Rommel wouldn't give up a Pz III for conversion to an artillery track.

Bauer66 04-19-2008 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

That DAK Sig 33 was a completely different configuration than the Russian campaign model. The Russians were converted fom captured pz IIIs at Stalingrad. Don't think your photo is a Pz III. Rommel's 150mm guns were mounted on French Lorraine armored carriers. From the side, the suspension somewhat resembles a Sherman. Rommel wouldn't give up a Pz III for conversion to an artillery track.
Well, I think Rommel Gave up this one.

swathdiver 04-20-2008 10:24 PM

That's a PZIII H chassis and is believed to have been a 1 off model, built in theater, Afrika. 5 photos exist, 4 are in private collection.

firenick 04-21-2008 12:07 AM

Bill, that's quite a nice collection of PIII's. I am almost done with my full function conversion, just need to add some stowage items weather the tracks and final tweaking on the electronics. I didn't raise the return rollers but may go back and try again. They were glued on tight and it didn't bother me enough to go through the hassle. This is the first time I've done a DAK scheme and also tried some new techniques that I've never done before. ( salt chipping, oil wash, weathering powders). It has been a learning process.

Later,
Nick

Bauer66 04-21-2008 12:09 AM

From what I have worked out I can build this, Low pro motors and custom built Batt pack, for starters. I would love to see more photos of this. I knew it was a one off but did not know any other photo's were around. It would take alot of imagination but I think a Nice working model could be built.

pattoncommander 04-23-2008 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Pz III aus M Flammenpanzer is finally finished. "Flame" gun gets out 5-6 feet and is a real good runner. . Anyone going to Danville, they'll all be there.:D

pattoncommander 04-23-2008 08:20 PM

very unusual. Obviously they used a Pz III that had a damaged turret and made a SP out of it. Russians did a lot of that. Doesn't look as if it much traverse or elevation and probably very restricted in what it could do under field retrofit conditions.

Bauer66 04-23-2008 08:26 PM

So True, I like the Fact that it is just Different, Something you do not see modeled much.

Regards.
Trev.