RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   War Room (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/)
-   -   Bigmig (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/7743740-bigmig.html)

papadave 07-18-2008 12:09 AM

Bigmig

Anyone here know how come Bigmig is being so quiet? Haven't heard a peep for some time now. Papadave

swathdiver 07-18-2008 12:27 AM

RE: Bigmig

He got tired of this forum and went over to Hobby Havoc. Then a few weeks later announced he was getting back into model trains. He said he'd check in from time to time but I haven't seen him online. Too bad, I enjoyed his posts and projects. Was especially looking forward to seeing what he was going to do with all those 1/6 Stuarts he'd just bought.

blitzkrieg65 07-18-2008 12:35 AM

Ya Big Mig is one of a kind, I hope he checks in again more often then not! I still want to see some video of his quad motor / gear tank design running!!

The Blitz

wackywheelz 07-18-2008 02:24 AM

I was about to chime in, but my post would basically of been what swathdiver has already said.

The quad-gearbox (2 per side, one each corner) is definitely not something I would do, and definitely not with plastic tracks. If one stalls, the other engine will have to pull/turn the other engine over - the tracks are become the weak link then SNAP! Then theres all the stuffing around with 2 times the electronics and for what added bonus? No thanks, I'll pass :D

swathdiver 07-18-2008 02:40 AM

I have 2 sets of metal gearboxes with motors installed that move so freely the tanks roll across the ground, have to be blocked to keep them in place. These are metal tracked Panzers too! It could be done and that's one reason why I admire BIGMIG.

wackywheelz 07-18-2008 05:36 AM

Done - yes
Practical or efficient - no

[8D]:D

papadave 07-18-2008 09:14 AM

Well that news of Bigmig makes me feel beter. I was begining to worry. Was wondering about those Stuarts also.

Thanks...Papadave

The_Stuff 07-18-2008 04:25 PM

well he has just about every tank made except the pocket breaking tamiya tanks.

I have been quite to because of work. heck i still don't have my tiger 1 back together from last time i went tanking and got mud in the tracks! took them off and washed them out and that is as far as it got. really not that impressed with it so i might just sell it off locally. I still got the 1/2 track to finish and the 1/9 scale Abrams to finish...

BIGMIG 07-19-2008 01:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello PapaDave,
Still out here in Fargher Lake,got all my tanks but have taken up with HO trains again.Much more inertaining and spend most of my time building on it,and no time talking about it on-line.Still look in here on occassion,but not much going on here that I can see.
Still get a kick out of the continual debate about how HL has copied everything that Tamiya has built.Have never figured that one out yet.They are trying to copy an actual tank,I would think no mater who builds it if it's a copy of a tank they should all look the same from the outside.(other wise it would not be a copy would it.???) now on the inside it might be a little different if all the stuff is the same and interchangeable,(is it ???) If so why would someone spend so much more money for the same tank.???

By the way HELLO also to the Stuff,the Blitz,Swathdiver,and last but not least Wacky.

For Wacky===Got a news FLASH for you.The 1/12 Abrams with the four motors and dual boards was a total success.(the only thing that I never did correct was the right rear axle extenssion needed to be trimed off about a 1/4 inch because it was sticking out to wide and would sometimes want to jump the track.)The motors do not fight each other like you think,and the power to the boards is equal and any difference there may be in the individual motor RPM would not even apply in this case.This tank has kick-ass power.
You may want to go back and look at this build as a lot of the reasons why I chose to do this is explaind,and how it was done and how it worked.Also want to thank Darkith and one or two others again for their input on helping me with some of the electrical hook-up.Wacky if you had thought of this your attitude would have been that this was one of the greatest things since Ice Cream.You need to be more positive sometimes with your comments.This is suppose to be fun for most guys and the object is to bring members in no mater what they injoy even though it may go against your ideas.

I did move over to Hobby Havoc with my bigger scale tanks.I said it before and I'll say it again that those members on here who would just as soon run the bigger scale tank guys off are making a big misstake.Your shooting your self in the foot and just don't know it.And a lot of other people are missing out on some possible fun projects they may have choose to post for other to see and read and maybe some of them would do the same.For me it no longer makes any difference because I have moved on to another hobby.But I would like to think that in a lot of ways I did contribute to the good of the forum,and mabe even inticed others to get into the tank hobby.(but thats just my opinion and may be wrong.)

Just a suggestion for the RCU staff-I know this forum is dedicated to Remote Control-But all the other stuff on here I would think that this forum being mainly sponsered by TOWER HOBBY there would be a section for the people into model trains.While into the tanks I bought very little from them that pertained to tanks.But prior to getting into the tanks I had bought hundreds of dollars of HO train Items and I'm back buying again with orders allready received and some on the way and more to follow.Tower carries a hell of a lot of train items and are continuing to even increase their inventory.It's not my forum and no skin off my nose,but addvetising is addvertising.

Swathdiver my pool table is now covered by a 6 X 9 train table that will most likely end up being a 3 or 4 level layout.Don't look like much yet-But it will be a killer lay-out down the road. BIGMIG :D:D:D

They big buy is on,lot of stuff required for what I will build.This will be built with the older technology stuff and the older style of laying out blocks.But will be a lot of FUN-:D:D

swathdiver 07-19-2008 02:28 AM

Good to hear from you BIGMIG!

As far as I'm concerned you're always welcome to post here, even your trains! Just make sure one of your track laying vehicles is at least in the background in case any whiners are looking! :D

If you ever decide to part with any of your Stuarts let me know and I'll start beggin' the wife! ;)

Take Care and God Bless!

wackywheelz 07-19-2008 08:36 AM

Good to hear from you - all I meant is I wouldnt waste time on something that doesnt give any "benefit" over a single-motor-per-side system, other than twice the drivetrain headache especially if something goes wrong; the track issue I mentioned, because you used plastic tracks as - they will break when used in a quad-motor setup, especially once a power failure happens to one or a pair of motors (board dies/battery goes flat/wire comes loose etc).

FYI 4 electric motors, one at each corner, is hardly a new thing, heck Porsche did it with the Ferdinand/Elefant and look how that turned out (expensive, too many wartime-scarce materials, complicated and slow moving) :D

DAP 07-19-2008 09:38 PM

This site has never had alot of 1/6th guys. The few who who where here probably moved on as there is very little to relate too. I havent posted much about my SDKFZ7 build for those reasons. I only check in now and then with the hope of spotting another large scale owner.

smittyrob 07-19-2008 10:04 PM

Hey, I'd like to know more about your Armortek Sdkfz 7. I've seen 1 or 2 builds and it looked pretty good. I've always really liked halftracks, but no one makes any in 1/16 that I'm aware of , so I have been eyeing the 1/6th version.

You should post some pics and your experiences with it.:D

The_Stuff 07-20-2008 11:27 PM

I used to have tons of HO scale train stuff. had a 4x8ft mobile track layout. was on a folding table leg stand and had a really wide over/under figure 8 w/ 3 switch yard. fully detailed town and a water tower. but moved and no space so it was in storage and one day i got an offer for it, so away it went. I got a 3 stall round house and some odd cars and engines laying around still. even have some GO BOTS train cars and shuffle yard engine. ah i miss those days sometimes..

BIGMIG 09-02-2008 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post a little up-date.I still drop in and check out the forum,but just don't log in very often.Going full bore on the HO trains.Even have a military set with big cannon and a flat car with tank and other vehicles.I'm selling off most of my 1/6 scale stuarts,and I think the 1/9 Abrams is allready sold.You can check out the classifieds here on RCU.Will be keeping the new M5 I bought and the 1/6 hummers,plus keeping all my other various scale tanks.

BIGMIG 09-14-2008 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: swathdiver

Good to hear from you BIGMIG!

As far as I'm concerned you're always welcome to post here, even your trains! Just make sure one of your track laying vehicles is at least in the background in case any whiners are looking! :D

If you ever decide to part with any of your Stuarts let me know and I'll start beggin' the wife! ;)

Take Care and God Bless!

Hello swathdiver,
well my 1/6 tanks are starting to get covered up by HO train stuff.Had to tell you though my pool table that I stacked all my tanks on in the past is now setting in the back of my PU truck waiting for its trip to my sons beach house.Seems different now being out of my play room,but glad to have it out of there.Sold my 1/9 Abrams to one of the guys here on the forum.Just a couple of pictures,and doing my HO train build on Matdragon's forum.I did take one of my 1/6 stuarts and the 1/6 hummer out for a short run to show them to a family member and how they worked.I'm still around and get loged on here ever so often.
BIGMIG ;);)