Weatronic Support Forum Go here to get help with your Weatronic products.

Still safe to invest in a Weatronic radio?

Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM
bRandom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Still safe to invest in a Weatronic radio?

So Ifinally decided that I will go with Weatronic for my new radio and then I heard about the company suddenly being sold to powerbox due to whatever reason and powerbox isn't able to deal with whatever or whatever... Just don't know what the heck to think about Weatronic now and if it will be a nightma e to deal with or what? Does anyone know what is going on? Is it safe to purchase one at this point?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM
ltc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A radio is a substantial investment of time and money, especially if you are retrofitting a few planes.
Support and inventory are major factors IMHO.
If you can wait to see who the US Importer is/will be and what level of investment and inventory will exist, that makes the most sense.
Otherwise you may end up importing parts from Europe via grey market just to keep flying.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:33 AM
bRandom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like sound advice... Thanks. That being said, I have been dealing with ultimate-jets and they sell and highly recommend the Weatronic equipment. They are very easy to work with and have great customer support, so maybe I give them a call and see what is going on from their perspective.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ultimate Jets is a stand up outfit and I would not worry at all about dealing with them. The issue may become one of PB not supplying parts. If I understand correctly, PB originally thought they could adapt/use the existing technology but that didn't work out. So last I heard, is that they were going to completely revamp the company and it's products.

You could shoot Woody an email at Ultimate or post something in the Jet forum and you'll get a response from Oli, username "Olnico", he's one of the partners in Ultimate.

Last edited by Zeeb; 09-04-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:20 PM
luv2flyrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRandom View Post
So Ifinally decided that I will go with Weatronic for my new radio and then I heard about the company suddenly being sold to powerbox due to whatever reason and powerbox isn't able to deal with whatever or whatever... Just don't know what the heck to think about Weatronic now and if it will be a nightma e to deal with or what? Does anyone know what is going on? Is it safe to purchase one at this point?
Weatronic is a dead end street. There is no more production. Once inventory dries up, you will not be able to purchase receivers or accessories. One of the best features of Weatronic was their continued software development. There is none anymore, they are gone.

The Weatronic BAT 60 has shortcomings that were supposed to eventually be addressed in software upgrades. Ie. the BAT 60 cannot use the built in receiver gyros. No access to RF logs etc. There will be no more updates. It's done.

I used Weatronic gear for 3 years. The gear was very good for the most part but, there were short comings.

I highly recommend that you consider Jeti. It has most, if not all of the safety features of Wea plus many, many benefits over the Wea system. AND it is still being regularly updated. I love mine, quite frankly it blows my Weatronic gear away.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 AM
Andika

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Weatronic is 100% dead.
Powerbox got rid of all stock and will not even support old customers or fix the latest firmware issues.
I have read they will some day make their own transmitter... who knows...
the most powerful software on earth is called openTX, seek for Horus X12S (low price doesn't mean low quality)
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 AM
bRandom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey thanks for the responses! That helps a lot before I blow my $ on a Weatronic. I'm glad I didn't buy the bat60 a few months ago... Now the only question (disregarding $ as a factor because I want the best equipment and will only be purchasing 1 more radio for life) is... Jeti or FrskyHorus? I am at least aware of the open source frsky equipment because I have been very into fixed wing fpv and have a lot of fpv gear. I have more recently gotten gung ho about turbine jets and have invested in 3 very expensive jets (carf rookie2... Yellow F-15... And an adjets diamond) and my Futaba 10c will not do telemetry etc. I know the frsky stuff is very flexible and evolving and the Horus looks like it has a host of outputs/inputs. The Jeti stuff is also top notch and I have never heard a negative review... Tough decisions here! Thanks everyone for chiming in!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:06 AM
ltc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think Jeti has more telemetry sensor/devices than the FrSky at this point.
The new Jeti transmitter offers LUA scripting (if you're into programming) as well as 900MHZ support
Espritmodel is the US importer (and responsible for getting all the FCC certification) and has a good dealer network as well as excellent inventory.
(at one time there was a 30mday return program so if you didn't like the feel, you could return it; they also had buyback program as well for other radios)
There are also a fair number of turbine pilots with Jeti and most of the turbine ECUs support direct Jeti telemetry integration.
Jeti in CZ has good support and the Jetiforum here, RCG and Germany have excellent support.

one isn't better than the other, just different designs and approaches.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 PM
bRandom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya Jeti has been around for a while... I'll go with Jeti for my jets and get frsky if I get back into fpv.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:17 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bRandom View Post
Ya Jeti has been around for a while... I'll go with Jeti for my jets and get frsky if I get back into fpv.
I was using Weatronic (module on Multiplex tx) for all my jets. I handled the BAT60 at JetPower shows and didn't like it so chose to change everything to Jeti and the DS-16 Tx. I have been very pleased with that choice, been almost 2 years now with Jeti. I also have a Frsky Taranis and though it has the best software by a long way, I could never bring myself to entrust my jets to a pocket money receiver!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM
ville56

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sad to have to be part of Weatronic's rise and fall. But I continue to maintain my DV4 module that I use in a Royal Pro 16 when I fly GPS triangle. I have played with the idea to buy a used BAT tx, but it must stop at just a thought. For that reason, I finally updated my Mpx equipment with a PTX 12, and it will probably be my last investment, I continue and probably finish my model airplane days with Multiplex.

/Ville
Old 01-04-2017, 03:09 AM
cmp3cantrj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Apparently the thing that sunk Weatronic/Powerbox was copyright issues with the software.

If you want to avoid that problem in future then FrSky (Open Source) is the only choice.

Search this Thread