Community
Search
Notices
Weatronic Support Forum Go here to get help with your Weatronic products.

Antenna Selection Vs RSSI

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Antenna Selection Vs RSSI

Me again,

I was reviewing the log file, when I noticed that the antenna selected was not necessarily the one with the greatest RSSI value.

Why is that? What does the RSSI really measure?

Thanks,
Edgar

Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
gerhardp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Antenna Selection Vs RSSI

Hi Edgar,
The RSSI is the Relative Signal Strength Indicator of the signal that is received. It does not tell anything about the quality of the signal. There might be RF noise on top of the signal that makes it less desirable for the receiver. They scan the individual signal and compare it with the signal criteria needed for a good signal. The different criteria are then weighted by an algorithm that has been figured out by some smart frequency guru. The signal is selected after these criteria are applied. So it is not necessarily the stronger RSSI signal that gets the choice. It is rather the cleaner signal that gets the choice. I could go on, but that is getting into too much detail.

Thanks,

Gerhard
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Edgar Perez

Thanks.

Assume this means that we should base any decision to relocate antennas on the actual % of time the antenna was selected instead of the % time the RSSI was strongest, right?

Also, when looking from the top of the receiver, left to right, which one is antenna #1 and which one is #2?

Thanks,
Edgar
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Edgar Perez

Hello!
Any feedback?[]
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM
gerhardp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Thanks.

Assume this means that we should base any decision to relocate antennas on the actual % of time the antenna was selected instead of the % time the RSSI was strongest, right?

Also, when looking from the top of the receiver, left to right, which one is antenna #1 and which one is #2?

Thanks,
Edgar
Hi Edgar,
The decision to change an antenna location can be based on several criteria. The surroundings (weather) can be different from one day to another and have an effect on how antennas behaves. Don't forget that you used to only have one antenna and having two now installed as reccomended you will have a better coverage to begin with. With a range check you get the best answers on the setup, as it gives you a good controlable feedback especially at the end of the range at the instant and you can then also compare it to the SD-card data to confirm your observations.

The antenna on the side of the SD-card slot is Antenna #1 and the one on the side of the battery outlets is Antenna #2.

Thanks,

Gerhard