Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare Edge 540t set-up plans

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:53 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare Edge 540t set-up plans

Hey guys/gals...Geistware is right on. A 5 cell pack can save your plane if one of the cells decide to fail, short or whatever. The remaining 4 cells will give you enough power to keep the plane from falling out of the sky. Very good, 'cheap' insurance! Good recommendation.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:23 AM
BigBirdFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

I just found this post. I am ready and waiting for my plane. I have a Zenoa G-62 on electronic ignition. 2 JR 4131 90 oz on the Elevators and 2 JR 4721 130 oz on the rudder and ailerons. 2 6V 1800mah nimh batteries on the JR 10 channel receiver. 1 6V 1100 mah nimh on the ignition. 3 MPI switches. Sullivan light weight tires and leaf spring tail wheel.
2 more weeks and waiting.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:35 AM
edge540ts
My Feedback: (1)

Thinking of using mini or micro servos for thrl and choke on the engine box. Does anybody think they are not strong enough, or have suggestions to ward of rf interference? I plan on doing this to save a few ounces and still be able to balance the plane. Heard from Tom that the planes are shipping now, I can wait.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

edge540ts:

Yes, you could use them. In my opinion I wouldn't. Depending on the type of flying your going to do, say 3D, you would want a servo on the throttle that's better than your average servo. This makes it easier to program a curve on the throttle for things like hovering, harrier, etc. You want to have good control response on the throttle. If your just going to do regular or Sunday type flying, a good standard servo would be fine on the throttle. Even a good mini or micro will suffice, just make sure it's strong enough and of good quality. On the choke you could probably get away with using most any servo as long as it's strong enough to get the choke over it's 'hump', unless you take the spring mechanism out of it, which I don't recommend (unless you know what your doing). And of course the servos choices here would also depend on what engine your using. All the gasser's are setup a bit differently. From the G62, to DA, BME, 3W, etc, etc. If you know what engine your going to use, let us know and I'm sure the guys/gals here will give you some good choices & opinions on what to use. Personally I would not use mini's or micro servos just to save weight in this plane. It's not worth it.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:31 PM
edge540ts

I plan on using a DA 50R. If I use the standard servos, what measures do I have to take to put them on the engine box. I do not think that I want to use fiber optics because that means 2 encoders and 2 decoders.... more weight and more to fail, unless that is the only way I can get the required range. Any suggestions???
Old 12-08-2003, 02:22 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Edge540Ts:

Did you see the picture in Tom's post in this same thread? He has them mounted right behind the motor box and says he's getting no interference. 99% of the time, a ignition that has a leak will produce noise into the radio system via the servos. If the ignition is 100%, no leaks, nothing broken or wires frayed, etc. There should be no problems (or RFI). Now, if your like me and don't trust the throttle & choke servos being that close to the engine and do not want to use fiber optics, there's another way to go. A Isolator. I will be using one in my setup, but only if there is a problem. There's many different brands of Isolators, I4C, Glitch Buster, from EMS/Jomar and the Power R' Buss Pro from ElectroDynamics. These will separate the servos from the receiver to eliminate the RFI. BUT! Build the plane first with the servos up where Tom has them on his DA50 setup and if there's no interference, you won't need a isolator or fiber optics. Chances are almost 99% it'll work fine without adding any extra circuit to the system. BTW, these Isolators only weigh in at about 1/4 of a ounce, or 7.5 grams. Not enough to even worry about. (Same with the fiber optics all three components, the encoder & decoder and optic line would not weigh more than that also.) So with either system your not looking at any savings of weight. I understand your looking for places to save weight, but you have to get into ounces before there's really any savings. An example would be to go with Tom's twenty dollar package of the lighter wing tube & landing gear. I believe you can save almost 10 - 11 ounces with these. This would be a good start to weight savings. And as the planes get into the hands of folks that bought them, I'm sure there will be many postings on how they came up with ways they found to save weight.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

The DA 50-R is rear intake, the carb will stick through a hole in the firewall back into the fuselage. Check out the downloadable instruction manual and you can see that Tom simply set up some rails in the fuse for the throttle and choke servos. should be a simple setup for a rear intake engine, and for side mounted carbs, there is accomodation on the engine box for a servo form what I can make out in the pics.

Jon

P.S. I got a note from Tom, he would have shipped my Albino Edge out, but he has not come across the white ones yet. May have been packed first (finished last) and in the other end of the container. Guess I have to wait a bit longer.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:54 PM
edge540ts

I also ordered an all white one, but I also got a note from Tom. They had been shorted on all white. I could wait for the next ship (6 weeks) or go with a colored one. I opted to go with the colored. I will probably strip it and recover in my own scheme.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:59 PM
edge540ts

I think that I have decided to go with duralite plus batteries. 2 -950 mah into the receiver and 1-950 into ign. all run through reliaswitches from r/c showcase. The switches are regulated to 6v. Any thoughts on it?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:18 PM
jldecarlo

The DA 50-R is rear intake, the carb will stick through a hole in the firewall back into the fuselage

The DA 50 is rear intake, but it is mounted on stand-offs that place the carb in front of the firewall.

See the pics in the following thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Setu...1308134/tm.htm

Leonard DeCarlo
Old 12-08-2003, 06:09 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Edge540ts:

A excellent choice, the Reliaswitches. You can not go wrong with these. As you know they are electronic switches that IF they do fail, will fail in the on position. (BTW, Fromeco manufactures the Reliaswitches, RC Showcase is a distributor for them.)

The batteries are also a excellent choice, but I feel your under powering yourself. What servos are you using? This will decide on how much battery power you'll need. Even in a redundant system, 950mAh will be used up rather fast and you'll be at the field charging. Also, the 950mAh is the smallest used on a ignition this size. Although DA recommends a 900mAh on the ignition, you'll get a couple hours (or more) of flight time with a 1200mAh. Not saying this is bad, just saying you will be charging at the field if you like to fly all day. If you go to the field and put in 3 flights and go home, the setup you've chosen will be fine. With the Li-Po's your going to need a 5.1V regulator for the ignition and a 5.8v or 6v regulator for the receiver batteries. Look at the Durilite packages for 29% planes, they use 1 - 4000 mAh pack for the Rx and a 2000mAh pack for the ignition (a 5.1v regulator on ignition & a 6v regulator on the Rx) This will fly the plane all weekend without charging.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:15 PM
BigBirdFlyer

[sm=biggrin.gif] Mine is colored and will ship the end of this week. Every plane is as exciting as the first.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:20 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: edge540ts

Thinking of using mini or micro servos for thrl and choke on the engine box. Does anybody think they are not strong enough, or have suggestions to ward of rf interference? I plan on doing this to save a few ounces and still be able to balance the plane. Heard from Tom that the planes are shipping now, I can wait.
I've tried mini's many times and always end up givig up. They are troublesome and the weak plastic gears break easily if the pushrod develops a resonant vibration.

Besides if you are using a light engine you need the weight in the front, and if not what difference does it make?

Tom Fawcett
Old 12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Ran68

You guys think JR 8611's on all control surfaces are over kill. Since they cost just a little more I thought what the hay.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:14 PM
BigBirdFlyer

When it comes to good servos I don't think you can have over kill. They will wotk great.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:29 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Agreed..A little over kill never hurt anything. I'm using HiTec 5945's all around and one Futaba S9152 on rudder. Over kill also...
Old 12-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am waiting for me little email that says mine is on the way!
I have everything lined up and ready to go!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:10 PM
JBrannon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I don't think you are going to get an email. I don't think Tom has time to email everyone about there plane being shipped.

Joe
Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Tom doesn't send the emails out, UPS does. When Wild Hare ships a package via UPS, UPS then sends you a email saying your package is on the way, a tracking number and when it is expected to arrive.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JBrannon

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I don't think you are going to get an email. I don't think Tom has time to email everyone about there plane being shipped.

Joe
Actually, UPS sends the Email, as soon as they get digital information. They also send a tracking number. All this, before UPS picks up the package, IF you provided an Email address when you ordered.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-12-2003, 02:01 PM
GO4IT

Why are most of you going with a DA50 over lets say a Bme 50 or ZDZ 50?
Old 12-12-2003, 02:58 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

MBSALES,
The DA50R kicks butt. After run in, it swings a Power Point 24x8 at 7000 and it's light. I am going to run mine on a KS can.
DKjens
Old 12-12-2003, 05:53 PM
rcpilotjae-RCU

I've got a BME50 on my Patty Extra. Nice engine. A 3W 100 on my 33% AW Edge. I would have liked to have gone with a BME55 Extreme for the WH Edge, but it's not out yet. Next best thing was the DA50, which I have to agree, kicks butt!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:26 PM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

I am running a 3w 50i and hitec 5945 all around with a 5735 on the rudder.
I got a email from Tom the day the planes arrived, but I asked him to email me before he billed the balance on my card.
I got my notice saying my all white edge will be here on the 16th. I have been waiting and now I will have to wait even longer cause I am going to Kitty Hawk to party and enjoy a bit of history.

Fred
Old 12-13-2003, 08:03 AM
rcpilotjae-RCU

Hey Derf:

Good for you! Take a bunch of pictures so you can show me when we get together next spring. The Edge is great. Some of the best covering I've seen on a arf and the construction is right on. Tom has got his builders trained well, this is a quality plane.

On another note, Tom if your reading this...Put some packing in-between the wings (so they aren't banging together) and under them so they're not resting on the box itself. There was some minor hanger rash on my left wing because of this, but the wood maybe a bit most yet as when I ran a iron over the covering the hanger rash all but disappeared. Only a couple little marks left that are very hard to see. Other than that the packing is good.