Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

WILDHARE EDGE ROLLING HARRIERS

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:23 PM
BobbyRichardson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WILDHARE EDGE ROLLING HARRIERS

Ok guys I wanted a quick fix for Rolling Harriers, now that I have spend about 2 gallons on them they are getting much better. I guess Time and Gas cures all!!!! Thanks for all the support.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:41 PM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

I would like to see some video of this, anybody have any ?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

No video of it, but since my last post I've managed to learn how to do a "respectable" rolling harrier circle. What I've found is the inputs are the same as a rolling circle, but the rhythm is different. In the rolling circle, I tend to be holding rudder a lot longer than elevator. In the rolling harrier, it's the other way, more elevator than rudder. I'm using high rate elevator, 40 degrees or so, I tuned my ailerons high rate down so it didn't roll so fast, and rudder on high rate to learn. Now that I've mastered it a bit, I'm using he rudder on low rate which is probably 30 degree throw or so. Someone mentioned the WH planes like a blip of throttle while on their sides, couldn't agree more. It really helps to keep the nose up.

My DA50 had a good burble in it while inverted when I was first learning the RH, and I couldn't make any progress. Since then I added a piece of brass tubing to the diaphragm cover and vented it inside the fuse. No more burble when inverted, and the first time I tried the RH after the mod, I couldn't believe how much easier it got. I was loosing too much prop wash over the control surfaces while inverted and I couldn't keep the nose of the plane up. So like Silver said, prop selection could very well make a big difference if I noticed that much difference with the variation in engine speed.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not sure I understand what your getting at here, IOW are you saying the WH planes can't do the maneuver? Or are you implying that the pilots can't do it...in low rate?

My Edge has some pretty good authority in low rate, in fact I found that I do a better job of controlling a harrier with any of my planes when the elevator is in low rate, balance is a bit aft and get the throttle curve set up correctly. Think of it as flying the maneuver with the nose of the plane rather than the tail, lots of throttle modulation but less elevator throw. I find that I can do this better than having to get the elevator input perfect.

Incidentally the WH Edge will do rollers but it's still and Edge, Extra's do them MUCH smoother.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:24 PM
VanWidick
My Feedback: (22)

Sorry guys was in a hurry typing that post up, Not saying it cant do it would just like to see video of it, thats all.

Old 09-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Shogun

No camera available here so I'm not going to be able to help out in that regard.

I'd love to see more vids of the Hare's as well but for some reason there just aren't that many showing up. Perhaps that has something to do with the budget of the guys that fly these planes, I know my fun money budget pretty much gets eaten up completely by my airplanes alone.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:07 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

ORIGINAL: tulsa3d

I would like to see some video of this, anybody have any ?
there is one pretty interesting at flyingcirkus on the 3dUniversity!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:03 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

you need to get a simulator and practice on that before trying anything on your real plane....

150-200 is not a bad price considering you can save your 3000 dollar plane...
Old 09-22-2005, 02:24 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

The idea of a rolling harrier is nice high alpha rolls that are nice and axial. If you are using low elevator and aileron rates, then you are doing something closer to continuous rolls vs. rolling harriers. When you slow the plane up in high alpha, then those extreme aileron rates won't seem so extreme. Same with the elevator although sometimes full deflection with too much power will pull you into too high of an alpha (verticle). Experience will fix that. The best tutorial for this maneuver is on Flying Cirkus just like th others have said. Full 3D rates! And if anyone telling you how to do this maneuver says you can do it without using rudder, please don't listen to them.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Shogun

Did I miss something here? I think what Tulsa3D wants to know is if anyone can actually show a WIDHARE plane doing the maneuver, IOW are they capable of doing them in the first place and does anyone have a video to present as evidence.

The only video I know of where the Hare 540 is actually doing a roller is over on the DOD site, Joe did some pretty good rollers with his but they are short in duration. I have yet to see a video of anyone putting a WH into a sustained roller on the deck, turn it around and roller back down the field, myself included.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM
dannny745
My Feedback: (-1)

wild hare site has a couple of vids too.