Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

My comments on the Wild Hare 36% 330lx

Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

My comments on the Wild Hare 36% 330lx

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
3d nate
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My comments on the Wild Hare 36% 330lx

I want to share my experience with the 36% Wild hare extra 330lx.

We all watched Joe Hunt do incredible things with his WH extra and after a 4 month wait
my extra arrived. After 6 months of it sitting in the box I have started to build the kit.
The build quality of this plane is one of the worst arfs I have seen. Every time I go to
work on it I get frustrated. A side of the fuse was angled up\dn so the wing would not
seat. The wing tube guide inside the fuse is shimmed with broken bits of balsa and glue
so it will fit. The interlocking wood in the fuse is out of alignment and barley glued in
some places and blobs of glue in others. The wing retention nuts are filled with glue in
the threads. Wing dowel holes are too large.

These are the things I have noticed so far but I just got started. I know you might say,
“Why not just try to send it back?†Or “It only cost $850., you get what you pay forâ€.
Well It has been 6 months or more and I have already made some cuts. The cost is still
up there. If it was replaced what would the replacement be like? The only good thing I see
so far is it is big and yes, it may turn out to be my favorite airplane. We will see. My hope is
it will at least be straight and fly well.

Sorry Tom to post this but I want people to know what they are getting into. I hate to fix
a plane before it has even flown.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine and mine alone.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:05 AM
papadale
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: My comments on the Wild Hare 36% 330lx

Airbag

Tom is very good with his support, if you are having problems with your plane call him and he will take care of it. Most of us who have wild hare planes are very pleased with them and more than please with Toms support..

JMO Dale
Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 AM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

I was lucky to get a good straight plane when I got my Edge. Had a good time building it and a fellow club member has build 3 of the 36% extras and has had no problems. Tom is really good about replacement parts and has hepled me get the right stuff when I found defects a few times now.

Talk to Tom and get a better ARF if the one you have is giving you hell.

-Ian
Old 09-21-2004, 07:22 AM
jdecker
My Feedback: (2)

Take a chill pill. Call Tom. If there is a problem he would like to know about it. I am sure every kit is not perfect, but then I am realistic.

Sometimes we have to realize that people build ARF's and they might have had a bad day. Tom will stand behind his product if you give him a chance.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Take a chill pill. Call Tom. If there is a problem he would like to know about it. I am sure every kit is not perfect, but then I am realistic.
Yeah, Right
Your only realistic because you did not end up with a $800. + plane that will need to be torn apart and fixed before it could be flown and Tom did Jack to help out, so keep your self-righteous comments to your self!

Sometimes we have to realize that people build ARF's and they might have had a bad day. Tom will stand behind his product if you give him a chance.
You don't know what your talking about, as he will help some but not all.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_W...2187281/tm.htm
Old 09-21-2004, 08:47 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the first to acknowledge that ARF builders make mistakes. My role here, among other things, is to resolve problems and make sure the customer is happy. I try to do this, but I cannot read minds.

If airbag's fuselage is as bad as he says I certainly would replace it. I do not have to pay for actual manufacturer's defects, I charge them back to the the builder. So it does me no good to refuse to cooperate with someone. I do not recall ever hearing from him.

As for stomper, my research shows that we never sold an airplane to anyone in Clayton NC, but we did sell a hardware kit there. My guess is he bought a plane second hand that had been damaged and called us to get the hardware kit. I have never refused to correct a problem with a plane that was purchased from Wild Hare, but I think it is a little unreasonable to ask us to correct problems that we did not cause.

We're here most of the time, just waiting for the phone to ring.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare R/C
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Harrier3D

RCTOM,

You have never told anyone that you would not replace defective items. IE: landing gear, wings with phenolic problems, stabs and wings are off on products. Have you ever told someone to fix the problem instead of replacing the item. I have seen posts to the contrary here and on other forum sites. Please detail this..

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 AM
jdecker
My Feedback: (2)

Stomper,

Nice venom. I guess you scare some people with being so boisterous. Not me. After all, I am self-righteous.

I have owned two of the Wild Hare planes and neither were perfect. They were both a good value nevertheless.

I have also owned at least 70 other planes over the last 30 years so I do know what I am talking about in evaluating airplanes.

I would never accept an $800 airplane that has to be torn apart. I would call Tom and speak with him before bashing him. But I guess there isn't a substitute for class after all.

By the way Stomper, where did you buy your plane?

John
Old 09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
3d nate
My Feedback: (12)

Please people, do not fight. I have phoned Tom and we are in the process of working this out. I will let all of you know how it goes.

Let me also say I am not out to personally bash anyone. I just want people to be aware of what they are getting. If I truly just got a lemon then so be it. But if all kits are like this, then the purpose of these forums is to inform each other and to hopefully have the manufacturers learn and repair their mistakes. Every time I have talked to Tom he has been polite. I just was dissappointed in the quality of this particular plane. Let's hope it is a rarity and that I can resolve this with Tom.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:01 AM
Harrier3D

Hello,

No ones bashing Tom just to clearify the statements. I was at the JR Challenge as a spectator and Im asking these pointed questions from standing within 4 ft of Tom having a conversation with a gentleman and yes its hard not to ease drop from 4 ft, but many in here inform folks, call companys to the carpet etc. Simple answers is what was asked and that is all we can ask for in here and hope it informs us for the good. So get past the bashing part, its questions not direct statements.

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
stomper

As for stomper, my research shows that we never sold an airplane to anyone in Clayton NC, but we did sell a hardware kit there. My guess is he bought a plane second hand that had been damaged and called us to get the hardware kit. I have never refused to correct a problem with a plane that was purchased from Wild Hare, but I think it is a little unreasonable to ask us to correct problems that we did not cause.
I'm not surpised you don't remember me, but I did get the plane NIB from a dealer of yours and I called you about the problem the very next day. All you would do is send out another vert. stab when you now that the problem is not the vert. stab per se but the fact that it never got glued in at the factory! How is another stab going to help?? I'm still going to have to tare in to this plane to make it right. Is this your idea on how to make the customer happy???

When we talked, you said that this has happen to a few of your planes and it really didn't take long to fix. That is the help you offered!!

I do not have to pay for actual manufacturer's defects, I charge them back to the the builder.
Well if thats the case, then why didn't you take care of this problem at that point??

Reson for edit:
Still learning how to spell
Old 09-21-2004, 01:15 PM
rctom

Have you ever told someone to fix the problem instead of replacing the item.
If there is a defect often times I will ask the customer if they are able to fix it themselves. In about 75% of cases this is a better solution, because shipping new parts carries its own risks. Most times I offer some type of compensation to people who are willing to try to resolve a problem rather than endure the expense and potential damage of sending parts to and fro.

In one good example a customer insisted on returning a fuselage for something fairly minor. On the way back here UPS destroyed it completely. In another case Fed Ex totally lost the package being sent in, and that took 2 months to straighten out. IT was only coming from Austin Texas, a 3 hour drive. So if it's possible to get the customer to make a minor repair rather than shipping fragile parts around the country, I do try to work something out with them.

TF
Old 09-21-2004, 01:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: stomper

I'm not surpised you don't rember me, but I did get the plane NIB from a dealer of yours

I just learned something new! I didn't know Wildhare had dealers, I thought they were only available direct.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Aerohead
My Feedback: (37)

Airbag,

All I really want to know is why you didn't take your problem up with Tom to see what recourse you had BEFORE you brought it up here on a nationally viewed RC forum. Anyone who reads this forum knows that there is a group of malcontents whose sole purpose in life seems to be to launch venomous attacks on RC manufacturers, even over the smallest problems. And, of course, the thing that enrages them most is to know that some of these manufacturers have earned a loyal customer base because of all the end customers that have gotten good products and good service from them.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Bob101

I thought about ordering one for my first gasser as a step up from my 1/4 scale Extra. Guy in my club got the edge in the other day. All I heard for months was how awesome his edge was going to be - so I was really interested in seeing it. Soon I start hearing second hand it's for sale - new in box. I went and looked at it. Nothing is what I would call "defective" - it's just all the minor stuff that just at first look doesn't bode well. The word sloppy came to mind. I passed and I think he's trying to decide to build or dump it off on someone else.

BTW I'm pretty glad I didn't order one if Tom keeps track of people by city etc.. I normall have all my stuff shipped all over and pick it up in a 4 state area depending on where I happen to be.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:32 PM
rctom

I just learned something new! I didn't know Wildhare had dealers, I thought they were only available direct.
We don't. At one time RC Showcase was selling our planes but that arrangement has ended.

Tom Fawcett
Wild Hare Hobbies
Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: Bob101

I thought about ordering one for my first gasser as a step up from my 1/4 scale Extra. Guy in my club got the edge in the other day. All I heard for months was how awesome his edge was going to be - so I was really interested in seeing it. Soon I start hearing second hand it's for sale - new in box. I went and looked at it. Nothing is what I would call "defective" - it's just all the minor stuff that just at first look doesn't bode well. The word sloppy came to mind. I passed and I think he's trying to decide to build or dump it off on someone else.

BTW I'm pretty glad I didn't order one if Tom keeps track of people by city etc.. I normall have all my stuff shipped all over and pick it up in a 4 state area depending on where I happen to be.
Sounds like a trend now. That surely can't be good for busineess! So were is all of this help I keep hearing about from Tom??
Tom......any comments?
Old 09-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

It looks like he won't comment on the specific questions, because I over heard the conversation at the JR Challenge he had. I can be called a liar but I bet the people that arent in these forums would comment on the exact questions I have asked if they knew about this thread and why they like others had to buy landing gear and wing tubes since WH would not replace them after the replacements were no better than what was replaced. You cant fix a problem with a know problem. I know manufacturers can't perfect, but don't try to blow sunshine up us when your skirting the answers. You might as well stop commenting at this point the answers won't come.

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-21-2004, 05:30 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Such bitterness. It makes me wonder what's REALLY going on here. Anyway... I've bought an Edge from Tom. A-1 quality with 0 problems. Most have had the same experiences. check out his support forum here if you don't believe me.

stomper:

No dog in this fight but I do remember talking to you about buying your plane. I don't recall ever hearing you complain about service from Tom or his wife. Maybe I just missed that part of the conversasion or maybe we just didn't ever go there. I do remember talking to someone here (RCU Marketplace) that had the exact same problem and Tom offered to swap the fuse out for them but they didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back. Maybe that wasn't you.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

No bitterness just some pointed questions that Tom won't address. Im glad you had a good experience that is great, but for us who havent can speak as do the praisers of this product. Being in business requires a thick skin. So I would encourage Tom to address the items in this thread, but I bet they won't.

Thanks

Tony
Old 09-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Bruce Rolfe

Ya know,
I bought a WH Extra 300 LX second hand. I had a few questions for Tom, and you know what. He answered them. Wild Hare has a better track record with me than Hanger 9 ever will. Support is there. You just don't go beating a man and then ask him to help you. Get real. No wait. Get a different Airplane and go yell at them.
Bruce
Old 09-22-2004, 05:33 AM
stomper

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer

WOW! Such bitterness. It makes me wonder what's REALLY going on here. Anyway... I've bought an Edge from Tom. A-1 quality with 0 problems. Most have had the same experiences. check out his support forum here if you don't believe me.

stomper:

No dog in this fight but I do remember talking to you about buying your plane. I don't recall ever hearing you complain about service from Tom or his wife. Maybe I just missed that part of the conversasion or maybe we just didn't ever go there. I do remember talking to someone here (RCU Marketplace) that had the exact same problem and Tom offered to swap the fuse out for them but they didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back. Maybe that wasn't you.
I'm not sure how his wife got in the mix? But when we talked, I told you what was wrong with the plane and as well told you that Tom only offered a replacement vert. stab. I'm not sure what you would expect me to get out of bad mouthing WH/Tom? No I didn't feel the need to go there!

I do remember talking to someone here (RCU Marketplace) that had the exact same problem and Tom offered to swap the fuse out for them but they didn't want to go through the hassle of sending it back. Maybe that wasn't you.
No that was not me as the plane is still NIB and would send it back in a hart beat. No Tom said he could not do that and that my problem was an easy fix and to just fix it my self. Great support!!

I would have not continue to post on this thread if it was not for Tom coming on here and flat out lying about his business practise.
Okay I'm done.

WilsonFlyer, I do hope you enjoy your WH Edge since thats what it's all about!!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:43 PM
emearg

ORIGINAL: Aerohead

...BEFORE you brought it up here on a nationally viewed RC forum.
Just for the record; this site (and the internet in general) is actually viewed internationally. Despite what you might think, and what you see on CNN, there are more countries in the world than just the USA and Iraq!!!!

Happy landings
Old 09-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: emearg

Just for the record; this site (and the internet in general) is actually viewed internationally. Despite what you might think, and what you see on CNN, there are more countries in the world than just the USA and Iraq!!!!

Happy landings
What does that have to do with this discussion??
Old 09-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Aerohead

Well excuse me for not stopping to individually list every country in the world. Does this change the general idea I was trying to communicate? Get a life, man.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.