Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Edge 28% or Extra 28%

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 12:54 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 28% or Extra 28%

Hey guys I'm trying to decide which one of the 28% WH I should go for, the Edge 540 or the Extra????
I already have a Lanier Edge 540 72'' WS with an OS 1.60 and I like that plane a lot had had it for 3 years now, but I never owned an Extra and this will be my first Gasser.
I'd like to hear some from some one who has flown both
thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Rockyaged

Default RE: Edge 28% or Extra 28%

Variety is the spice of life.. Go with the Extra..

Gerald
Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
charrua

gerald do you own the extra? if you do how is it ??
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

The edge is more stable in hariers and hovers. The extra is better for snaps and spins and IMAC.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Easy does it
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

I have the 300 special and love it it is a very stable plane flies straight and true and lands like feather so slow that most people at the field will think it is going to fall out of the sky I have an edge on order because it will 3-D a little better and this came from the man himself (Tom Fawcett) give him a call if you have doubts but either plane will be a terrific experience for a first time gasser
Old 12-20-2004, 05:52 PM
charrua

Thanks for the reply, I was watching a video of the edge and I saw it doing a harrier landing, that was cool on that big plane I used to do it in a funtana 90 I had. So that means that plane it's strong to be able to handle a Harrier landing at 17 or 18lb.
I like doing harriers and toque -rolls I'm not much into imac, maybe I should learn to fly good IMAC with the extra.
Hey i have 5 hitec 5645mg digital will they be good enough for this plane, maybe not for the rudder but how about elev. and aile.?
Old 12-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Easy does it
Banned

I am not familiar with hitec servos but what you have should be fine for all but rudder i use JR and yes the planes are built really well I am a first time gasser and I can't say enough about these planes,(Excellent!!) will sum it up I think. You will not be dissapointed
Old 12-21-2004, 08:12 AM
cajunhemi

I am using the 5945's and a JR 8611 for rudder. Thats the set up Tom recommends. No problems with mine so far.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:47 AM
FreedomFlier
My Feedback: (8)

You won't go wrong with either plane

A friend of mine has the Edge with a G62, and I have the Extra Special with a Brison 3.2. Both Planes are great fliers!

The Extra Special will do rock solid Harriers too, if you keep your wieght down, and your CG aft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60122.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	205276  
Old 12-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you're not into IMAC, go with the Edge. I've owned both the 300S and the Edge and the Edge will stall later and softer than the Extra. That's not to say that either have a violent stall break, they don't, but the Edge will hold out longer and to a slower speed. You'll just fall in love with the roll rate!!

Both of the planes are easy flyers and landers, so there are no concerns there. After more than a hundred flights on the Extra, it's still holding together just fine with no repairs needed anywhere on the structure due to fatigue, glue failures, or over stressing. Since I beat my planes up pretty hard in the air, that says a lot.

Either way you decide, you won't get hurt. Go with an engine you can afford. All the 50 cc engines and the Zenoah G-62 work well. The lighter engines have been known to drive people nuts trying to get the c/g right, tho. It's a lot easier to move weight towards the tail than to the nose. Going to the nose takes more to have an effect. I'm pretty sure I'll get a dispute with that one.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
charrua

Thanks for the info. guys
Now Got some more questions.
I have been using hitec 5645mg (5 of them) with only one battery a Hobbico HydriMax 6.0V 2000mAh Flat 4/5A U Panasonic and haven noticed any loss of power in the servos and the charge last a very long time.
Now if I go with this same servos and 1 jr8611 for rudder or if I sell this servos I may go with 5 8611 and 2 standard, what will I need for battery power??? same for ignition and also like to see some pics of some setup.
I will go with one of this 2 28% not sure yet wichone, and will buy the Da-50 for it and If I sold the plane I'm selling now I'll go with the 8611 (5).
I'm really ignorant about anything that has to do with Gas engines/and ignition etc so since I want to get it right the first time.
Thank you all again!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Easy does it
Banned

Checkout Durallite batteries I am using them in my plane 2 2800 mha for receiver you can go lower on the mha but for sure I think it will be safe to say that pretty much everyone uses 2000 mha for ignition. Others will tell you to look at Fromeco. Durallite's have charge safe circuitry and i use their charger also (Idiot proof) which is good for me, take a look at these two and figure out what brand will work best for you. i was concerned with safety as far as putting my plane together so went overboard with the radio system but hey! nothing has given me need for concern in that department.
I am pretty much brand new to gas giant scale and my way of approaching this was SAFETY first, take it nice and easy on the build up do not be shy with the money, trying to save a few bucks could cost you quite a bit Whichever plane you buy get the hardware kit with it, excellent stuff and for us newbies saves a lot of guesswork.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 PM
charrua

Thanks brit fro that.
I wont be shy with the money I always like to get the best for my planes but sometimes when they sell you the "combo" thing that comes with the staff you need no finish the plane and most of the time it's not good hardware for the plane, but I will go with the kit that they have so far I have heard good things about it.
I'll probably buy almost everything from WH, plane,DA-50, maybe 5 8611, the kit, spinner, do they have props i didnt see any?
I'd like to have smoke in this plane too so I may go with the slimline pitts with smoke.
Is anyone using the cannister muffler? or it will be better for balancing it with the pitts? People is talking about being hard to balance it with a light engine like the DA-50 is that true?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Easy does it
Banned

No problems with balancing at all. Tom has great prices on everything he carries as for the cannister I have no experience with them but I think you will find Wild Hare has their own now or maybe just for the 100 post a new subject on that as far as props I think 22-8 is the prop for break in on the DA50 try RCshowcase and there are many others Menz Bolly 3W and MSC are popular choices good luck
Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 PM
Tired Old Man

Tom's hardware for the 28% planes is excellent. Most of it is the same stuff you would go out and purchase yourself. Some of it is better than what you would purchase yourself, because you wouldn't have thought of it. The only changes I chose to make was to substitute some allen dead cap screws for the phillips head. Get the hardware kit. It'll save you time and money.

I used to use the Duralite batteries, but the Duralite charger gets so hot it worries me, especially if you are charging more than one Duralite at a time. I have since switched to Fromeco, and in doing so I have saved quite a bit of money and received higher quality products. That includes the Fromeco charger. The customer support obtainable through Fromeco is unheard of with Duralite, and is very similar to the support given by the Fawcetts. That says a lot about a manufacturer/distributor.

As far as battery capacity is concerned, I have flown for two days straight, 5 to 6 flights a day, on one charge with a 4,400mAh Li-on and 5-JR 8611 digitals. It was still good to go when I finished the second day. Needless to say, you won't need a 4,400mAh battery to fly, but something in the 2,200mAh range would be good. Li-ons beat nimh and nicads hands down. I don't have large scale experience with the Li-polys yet to offer any thoughts.

As far as servos go, a quality metal geared digital would be the best option. I won't suggest a brand to avoid the inevitable arguement. Metal withstands impact shocks better, IMO, and when you start slamming high rate surfaces back and forth quickly, you can be sure there will be some high gear stresses. Then you may want to obtain good, strong aluminum servo arms for the servos. Check out SWB Manufacturing and Air Wild for those.

If you want to keep it light, might I suggest a Troy Built Models carbon fiber wing tube and Tom's fiberglass gear? Tom's 'glass gear weighs about 3/4 of an ounce more than the C/F gear, but it will hold up where the C/F gear has been known to fail. Between the tube and the gear you will save nearly a pound. Also look at Bisson Mufflers to see the new fiberglass spinners. Very nice!

Excellent quality wiring and switches can be obtianed at great prices from Cermark.com. Excellent service, too.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Holy cow, almost a pound for the tube and gear? Methinks I'm going to have to get those...

Silver, is the roll rate on the Edge that quick? The ailerons seem smallish to me, then again I'm no aerodynamical engineer[&:]
Old 12-22-2004, 07:31 AM
cajunhemi

Silver I could not agree more with you on the Fromecos. Kurt is a great guy and has takin time to eplain things to me on the phone. I too have flown my plane for days without needing to charge. I am using 3x 200mah(1 on the ign and two on the RX) I even put fromecos in my Funtana. Hands down the best battery and customer service on the market IMAO
Old 12-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Tired Old Man

The roll rate with the Edge is pretty quick!. It won't match the rate of say a profile fun fly, but is pretty darn fast at high rates and medium speed.

It's not just the speed of the roll, it's the positive tracking and instant strat/stop response that the plane has to aileron control inputs. Once you learn the plane, it will be like you're connected or something. The lack of adverse yaw that's present with so many other types of aircraft is very pleasant. You point it, and you know where it's going.

Pat
Old 12-22-2004, 04:52 PM
charrua

How about the regulator for those batteries, are you all using the Fromecos regulators? I may just go with 1 2400mah or do I really need 2 batteries of 2400? I'm concernd about the weight there 'cause it's gonna be like 1/2lb with the RX batt and the ingn. batt.
Now for the Da-50 can I use a 6v 2000mah nimh battery for ignition??? I really dont wanna have to buy 2 regulators if I go with 7.4 v batteries.
Will the Triton charger work for the Fromecos 7.4v batteries? I know it works for my kokam 7.4 1500mah batteries!!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Shogun

A Triton will work fine on the Fromeco's. I had 5645's on the elevator and ailerons of my Edge all last year and they are strong and reliable and work well in that application. They are getting replaced next year with 8611's because the 5645's are a bit on the slow side and I want a crisper control response on my Edge in 2005.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:41 PM
Tired Old Man

I'm using the Fromeco Super Reliaswitch regulators for the 7.4 batteries. They eliminate a regular switch and provide a user adjustable voltage. There is no need to use a 6 volt battery on the ignition, 4.8 will work just fine. There isn't any real need for more than about 1800 mAh for the ignition battery, and that is still overkill. A two battery system is the mandatory minimum you will need. A three battery system in a 28% plane is redundant, but with a weight penalty that only the owner can determine to be justified.

As far as chargers go, like Shogun said, a Triton will work fine, and is noted to do so by Fromeco. Like any other Lithium battery, you just have to follow the charging rules for the type of battery. A 1C charge rate with a charger that senses peak will do the job just fine.

There's no need to go overboard with all the whistle and bells. Just be certain that if you go with a minimum equipment list, all the stuff is of high quality and effective.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:15 AM
cajunhemi

Silver hit the nail on the head!!! I am using the fromeco regs and also the fromeco charger. Its nice to be able to charge the whole plane at one time unlike the triton(darn good charger IMOA). I know a 28% plane is not a TOC 40%er but it is my first gasser and I just got a small piece of mind having redundant power. Good luck in your up coming adventure.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:06 PM
charrua

Hey guys I just found this review on the edge,, and there's a pretty cool video too, i'can't wait until getting my own I'm almost there!!!

http://www.downonthedeck.com/review_wh_edge.htm
Old 12-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

Link do not work[]
Old 12-23-2004, 08:54 PM
charrua

Hey don't know why the link it doesn't work try going here and look for the reviews
, there a couple of reviews of different planes and in those are the WH edge and extra 28%.
If this link doesnt work from here just copy it and paste it into you browser, but this is the main page.

http://www.downonthedeck.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.